Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Devastating and disappointing delay

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Huemanera
Follower
Follower

I get a delay, you get a delay, it seems that everyone gets a delay when it comes to arlo. Had I done some research before purchasing, I would have avoided this company altogether, but I'm here now. Can we have a firmware update to fix a necessary inconvenience, please?

the motion sensor works fine, but if the recording isn't simultaneous, someone can get away with murder. It kinda defeats the purpose of my purchase. 

I walked by my door and the doorbell picked up the motion, but I'm not in the ten second recording because it waited until I was out of the frame to start recording. 

if someone knocks on my door and stands there, I won't see the knock on the recording, I'll see the standing. However if someone breaks my door down, I won't see anything.

with my #google camera, the motion sensor and recording are married. 

I get foxes, raccoons, squirrels and skunks in my backyard, but I don't know where they come from to prevent them from eating everything in my garden because the recording is delayed. 

the brightness of the flood camera is nice, but it's not efficient. 

1 REPLY 1
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If you search these forums for issues with delay, you'll see that they go back to the beginning. It's a matter of understanding the technology and implementation of a battery-operated camera. The camera has to first detect the motion, wake up, create a connection to the servers and finally start recording. The delay can be a couple of seconds in the best of conditions.

Camera positioning is always foremost in consideration for best motion detection, with motion across the FOV  being needed for best results (same as with any other device that uses PIR sensors). Eliminating extraneous areas in the camera also helps - you don't need the sky or the street to be in view while trying to maximize people detection. Next is the motion sensitivity in your modes and rules so changing that while minimizing false triggers requires some testing. Remember that people are only detected out to a max of 25 feet.

If the cameras are plugged into AC power, they operate all the time which gives you a 3 second look-back (foresight) so you can see what happened just before motion was detected. This requires power to be supplied because the camera is always operating while battery-operated ones go to sleep to preserve the battery.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation