Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
slash128
Luminary
Luminary

One of my Arlo Pro 3 cameras keeps showing "Firmware update is available" but never completes the update. I have tried power cycling and also removing and adding to the base station. There are no active modes enabled for this camera, mode is disarmed. When I attempt to updated the firmware the camera LED starts alternately blinking blue and orange for a few seconds, then fast blinks blue for a few seconds more, then goes back to "Firmware update is available". Any advice on how to resolve? The camera is unusable while the firmware message is on the screen.

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

After further investigation, in many of these cases, it was found that these firmware updates were failing due to poor connectivity/battery life with the camera in question.

To be sure your camera can successfully receive the update, please follow these steps:

1. Fully charge the battery

2. Bring the camera close to your base station/router

3. Initiate the firmware update via the Arlo Secure mobile app and watch the LED behavior on the camera. You should see an alternating blue/amber LED. If you do not see this LED behavior, attempt the update again through the app.

JamesC

70 REPLIES 70
slash128
Luminary
Luminary

Support replaced my faulty camera and it has been good since.

Cingram
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have exactly the same problem as Luminary describes. I have 3 of 4 cameras that say they need a firmware update but it never updates successfully. I’ve tried the factory reset and make sure they’re fully charged and close to the base station, etc. I’m at my wits end… @Arlo - what are the next steps?

StefanKungsholm
Aspirant
Aspirant

Don’t work for me either, dont alarm and shorter battery time…

StefanKungsholm
Aspirant
Aspirant

Tried everything in this chat since juni…doesen’t work, have 7 cameras 4 of them are PRO 3 and have the problem…are going to stop my prenumeration soon….

Mueldog
Aspirant
Aspirant

I also am having the same issue. Please advise when there’s a resolution.

StefanKungsholm
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, I have arlo 2 and 3 and did a factory reset on everything from arlo, camera, basestation. 
Now it works, knock on wood…

UpsetBob
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am throwing this crap away. I have the same issue. I had to order new batteries, and I thought I should buy ARLO factory. Well to start off, the ID.ME 15% discount doesn't work. I am military and a teacher, both options cycled me right back to the cart without a discount. So I paid the $150 plus tax. I got the batteries and fully charged the units. I then get a firmware alert. Same error code as everyone else. I reset everything back to the factory by disconnecting the cameras and resetting the base unit. Reconnected everything with the same alert and failure to upload. I have a "Very Fast" upload and download speed since I have run the check multiple times. I have noticed that the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page has been removed. Time to trash this crap and go with a new company's product. I will be doing my research since I don't want this crap hanging off my house. I will buy my neighbor a new system too since I was foolish enough to recommend this company to them.

Sarwilky
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just bought all my cameras and the floodlight won’t update- it is the same issue here.  I had to return one of the ultras- it didn’t work at all.  I am so disappointed that I just spent $1300 on cameras to find had don’t work and Arlo has had this issue since June, and done nothing. 

Sticky_Bunn
Tutor
Tutor

The battery life on my two Pro 3’s is about 4 weeks. I have established this is because they state they have a firmware upgrade pending which is not working. The cameras attempt the upgrade several times a night without success. I have tried to do it manually……no joy. I removed the device, reinstalled it…..still no joy. I have moved it to within 1 metre of the base station……still no joy. Current version is VMC4040P 1.060.13.0_23_19c4503

Any ideas why it won’t upgrade?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Where are you located? Firmware may not be available to all regions at the same time.

Sticky_Bunn
Tutor
Tutor

I’m in the UK

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's my understanding that that region has a contract with Verisure to supply Arlo  updates and that they have been slow on occasion to provide the latest releases. @JamesC , @ShayneS , @BrookeN  - can you comment on this?

Sticky_Bunn
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the replay @ShayneS I'm aware that Verisure now 'Manage' UK services but my experience of their Arlo capabilities is not very comforting. I think they are more interested in their other services!!

Arlo1342
Apprentice
Apprentice

Welcome to arlo.

Where problems are never solved only ignored in favour of creating newer problems.

Arlo1342
Apprentice
Apprentice

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this.

You'll soon notice it's the same 4 geezers that offer the same 5 sets of generic advice for literally every problem, none of which helps, because they know full well the problem is at arlo's end and will be solved when they get around to it.

Sticky_Bunn
Tutor
Tutor

Still not had an answer to this question..............and it still happens.............albeit only with my Pro 3 cameras. Does anyone have influence on Verisure, here in the UK to actually allow the firmware upgrade to take place.............or is there a way I can block the upgrades so it stops killing my battery life? Thanks.

StefanKungsholm
Aspirant
Aspirant

Factory reset everything, base, cameras and after that I never have done the upgrades that the system tells me…and it works for me with the ”old system” without upgrades

Sticky_Bunn
Tutor
Tutor

Done everything suggested and it still states there is a Firmware Upgrade required. The proof in the pudding will be if it tries to do said upgrade 10 times during the night and flattens my batteries on the Pro 3's again after 4 weeks!! Will keep you posted.

Edinburgh_lad1
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

> StefanKungsholm StefanKungsholm Aspirant Aspirant
> Factory reset everything, base, cameras and after that I never have done the upgrades that the system tells me…

> and it works for me with the ”old system” without upgrades

The problem is that you can't stop firmware upgrades. So, they'll happen automatically whether you like it or not. Not only is Arlo unique in that they charge a fortune for something that just about works, but also in that you have no control over firmware upgrades. I only know one other system where you can't control firmware upgrades: Netatmo; everything else lets the user decide if they want firmware upgrades or not (even my Google TV stick). 

Sticky_Bunn
Tutor
Tutor

Now given up trying to resolve the issues with the Pro 3 cameras so have purchased 2 x Pro 4's at considerable expense (£160 GBP) and will now use them. I think it's disgusting of Arlo not to be able to answer why the Pro 3's won't actually do the Firmware Upgrade even though its there waiting and as such reduces my battery life to less than 4 weeks!!! due to the number of unsuccessful attempts. I wish I bought RING stuff now and not wasted hundreds of pounds on this rubbish!!

Sticky_Bunn
Tutor
Tutor

Interestingly, both the Pro 3's seem to have completed a Firmware upgrade with no intervention from me (as I put them in the drawer after purchasing two new Pro 4's) as no message exists to say it has one pending. Let's see if this helps the battery life go beyond 4 weeks. Equally interesting (as they were purchased as part of the same kit) one has H9 hardware and one has H10.

Discussion stats