Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
slash128
Luminary
Luminary

One of my Arlo Pro 3 cameras keeps showing "Firmware update is available" but never completes the update. I have tried power cycling and also removing and adding to the base station. There are no active modes enabled for this camera, mode is disarmed. When I attempt to updated the firmware the camera LED starts alternately blinking blue and orange for a few seconds, then fast blinks blue for a few seconds more, then goes back to "Firmware update is available". Any advice on how to resolve? The camera is unusable while the firmware message is on the screen.

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

After further investigation, in many of these cases, it was found that these firmware updates were failing due to poor connectivity/battery life with the camera in question.

To be sure your camera can successfully receive the update, please follow these steps:

1. Fully charge the battery

2. Bring the camera close to your base station/router

3. Initiate the firmware update via the Arlo Secure mobile app and watch the LED behavior on the camera. You should see an alternating blue/amber LED. If you do not see this LED behavior, attempt the update again through the app.

JamesC

70 REPLIES 70
slash128
Luminary
Luminary

Spent 30 minutes chatting and troubleshooting with support. While in the process of performing the troubleshooting steps they requested the agent left the chat and updated the case that I "went inactive". BS. Nice one support!

Finally resolved it on my own by completely removing the base station and all cameras and factory resetting the whole system. Just to resolve one camera with a stuck firmware update...

JustRob
Initiate
Initiate

I’m away and another firmware update has immobilized a camera. Update won’t complete and I’m away. I have these to secure my home when away. Why can’t Arlo operate a 30 day option to update them and then do forced update. To give paying customers time to be able to make the update and not be unable to use the camera at a time when they are needed the most. Why can’t I just get rid of the firmware update screen and still use the camera until I’m there to oversee the update. Running the update on the app and all I get is error 4209.

To be clear, the view from the camera is replaced with a heavily blurred screen with a message saying update available, however I can still perform a motion detection test which transmits what the camera is viewing even when the home page says update available. This means the cameras could still function fine, but Arlo actively chooses to deny access, meaning they create security concerns and not resolve them like their camera systems should.

slash128
Luminary
Luminary

Well, problem is back... Same camera is saying again "Firmware update is available." I tried resetting the base station again, which worked to resolve the issue last time, but it is not helping this time. Camera live feed is unavailable while this is persisting...

CMBerry
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same problem here and I too have done all the usual troubleshooting steps but to no avail. 5 out of 10 cameras are no loger functioning. I hope you get a response and solution.

Maija
Guide
Guide

Sorry to hear that you have the same problem but at the same time I´m happy it´s not just me. For me it started couple of weeks ago. I tried everything (uninstalling, reseting..) and nothing worked. I was so annoyed (I didn´t ask or need this update and I pay my bils!) that I just left the cameras on the table for couple of weeks only to notice the problem solved itself during that time.

For two days both of them worked normally and tonight one started to request the update again.

Now I´m going to just breath deeply for couple of days to see if the problem magically goes away. (Not holding my breath.)

slash128
Luminary
Luminary

It would be great if they had an option to bypass the firmware update when it's causing an issue so the cameras could still be useful...

JKNg
Tutor
Tutor

Me too...i am having the same problem. Btw,i came from HK,does this matter?

pent
Guide
Guide

I am having the same problem, I keep having to install a May 20th firmware update in order to use my two cameras that are connected to my base station.

My floodlight is not connected to the base station and isn't having any issues.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

For those experiencing an issue installing the latest firmware update, make sure the camera is fully charged and has good signal strength, allow it to sit overnight and it should automatically install the update. Are you still experiencing an issue?

JamesC

slash128
Luminary
Luminary

Yep, camera has been plugged in and battery at 100% this whole time. 

slash128
Luminary
Luminary

One of the suggestions the chat rep made was to pair this camera to another base station and try again. I just drove out to the location where I have our other base station and tried the suggestion. I factory reset the camera before attempting. Same thing, update attempts but then still says update is available and live preview is not available. 

JackieD0711
Tutor
Tutor

I am also have the same problem with 4 Pro 3 cameras. None of them will update. I've removed each camera from the smart base and reinstalled each of them. I've removed the batteries and reinstalled the batteries. I've unplug the base for 5 minutes and plugged it back in. All with no luck in updating the cameras.  I also can not see any activity on my camera's due to the stupid update. It is really frustrating and with no support makes it even worse. Arlo really needs to fix this issue immediately. 

slash128
Luminary
Luminary

Agreed. It’s clear from all the posts that there is a widespread issue. 

Maija
Guide
Guide

My cameras are plugged in all the time. There shouldn´t be a signal problem considering the camera is still recording and sending videos to cloud (you would think the signal is just fine if it is able to do that?). For me the problem is the livefeed which I cant´t see because of the update ´announcement´ in the screen.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The development team is actively investigating reports of this issue. I will provide an update as soon as we have more information available to share.

JamesC

slash128
Luminary
Luminary

Good to hear. Looking forward to a speedy resolution.

slash128
Luminary
Luminary

Any updates? Camera is still unusable because it can't update the firmware...

jlfisher
Aspirant
Aspirant

I as well have been having the same issues. I was able to remove and add 2 of the 4 cameras and got them updated. 1 of them took a week of being removed and shut off and then randomly updated? And 1 seems to update once manually done. And a few days later--all back to saying firmware update needed. WTF?! We spend a lot of money for these cameras and then the monthly fee. This issue should not have been going on this long and considering we pay for this to feel our homes our safe. NOT HAPPY!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

After further investigation, in many of these cases, it was found that these firmware updates were failing due to poor connectivity/battery life with the camera in question.

To be sure your camera can successfully receive the update, please follow these steps:

1. Fully charge the battery

2. Bring the camera close to your base station/router

3. Initiate the firmware update via the Arlo Secure mobile app and watch the LED behavior on the camera. You should see an alternating blue/amber LED. If you do not see this LED behavior, attempt the update again through the app.

JamesC

JKNg
Tutor
Tutor

I tried your method already, actually i did see the light flashing amber /blue ,then it off for a few seconds,then on again.However,it still shows "firmware update available" afterwards.....it does work!

slash128
Luminary
Luminary

Placed the camera right next to the base station. It is plugged in and battery is at 100%. Initiated update from app and LED flashed blue/amber. After it still shows "Firmware update available."

Maija
Guide
Guide

So dissapointing to hear you keep blaming customers from what is CLEARLY a problem in your end of the table.

How do you explain the situation where there are more than one camera at the exact same place - side by side next to the basestation  - on the same table, all plugged in and 100% battery and some work and some don’t?

Or as in my case both work, then get installed back to their places and two days later one out of two starts demanding updates again? 

Do you understand that we have already tried everything we can from here? 

Your advice for solving the problem sound like:

1. Hit your head to the wall.

2. If this doesn’t work try hitting your head in another angle and a little harder.

3. If you are still having problems stand next to the basestation and hit your head against the wall multiple times. Stare at the basestation and see if the lights start blinking in your eyes. 

ndoab
Guide
Guide
Spoiler
I have a Por 3 cammera that wont update its firmware
Current firmware - 1.060.12.2_6_fd3b14a
trying to update to -  1.060.13.0_23_19c4503
Base station VMB4000.
5 other cams and doorbell all working all ok.
Cam had battery issues but I have just replaced with a new battery. I bought 2 new batteries and have tried both (at full charge) with the same failed outcome.

Cam was working until I swapped out with new battery.

I have tried the following:
1)  Removing the device and setting up as a new cammera - numerous times
2) Power cycling base station and then step 1 - numerous times
3) Hard restting camera by holding "sync" button for 15s - numerous times
4) Leaving the cam connected to power and then step 1 a few times

Cam gets recognised all ok but will not display anything. It gives all the relevan cam info such as battery level, shows it is on charge, serial, model etc.

It just appears that the cam is not going to update.

Any help appreciated.
jbarry52
Aspirant
Aspirant

camera keeps asking for update

Discussion stats