Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 3 - Accessing Footage

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
jmiddle
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello all!

I am interested in purchasing the Arlo Pro 3 Wire-Free Camera, but am not able to fund a monthly subscription for any of the Arlo Smart subscription plans.

I am familiar that live video is available 24/7, whether accessing through the app directly or via notification when motion is detected. That said, am I able to access the videos at a later time if I am using Arlo Basic (i.e. not using a monthly subscription plan)? Are videos saved to my phone for any period of time?

Is this feature available with any of the other cameras (Arlo Pro 2)?

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Any AArlo camera newer than the Pro 2 requires a subscription for cloud recordings. However, if you buy a full system that includes a hub you can use local storage and the app to monitor what's going on. I'm not 100% sure but I believe basic push and email notifications still work, just not Smart ones. You miss out on cloud recordings and other niceties but the basic functionality remains. You can then download videos to your phone if you want but it's easier to just safely eject the local storage for viewing/saving on a computer.

Pro 2 and below all get the free 7 day cloud recordings for up to 5 cameras per account but the local storage doesn't work quite as well - you must eject the drive for viewing as opposed to being able to directly view via the app.

jmiddle
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you!

Just to confirm, then. Using the Arlo 3, with no subscription: I will receive notifications for movement on cameras (or is this considered a smart notification? If so, does the Arlo 2 Pro provide smart notifications for free?), and can access live footage at any time. Recorded footage, however, can then be found at a later time on the SmartHub local storage. Is that correct? 

I apologize if I am just repeating, but I want to make sure I completely understand prior to making the purchase/commitment!

Thanks again for your help!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I believe you will receive push notifications - the normal ones, not Smart - but am not 100% sure. You're still connected to the cloud, just not getting cloud recordings. Live view would work and any recordings would be available on your local storage.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation