Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

What do I need for a only battery and solar powered Arlo CVR?

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
MatoZ
Aspirant
Aspirant

I would like to ask for your advice. I would like to clarify if it is possible to run a CVR (24/7 recording) with an Arlo camera powered only with a battery and a solar panel without any electrical power.
If I understand this article correctly https://kb.arlo.com/1018425/What-is-continuous-video-recording-CVR-and-how-do-I-use-it. I need:
- Arlo Pro 3 Floodlight
- Arlo XL Rechargeable Battery (VMA5410-10000S)
- Solar Panel Charger for Ultra, Pro 3, Pro 4, Pro 5, Go 2 & Floodlight Cameras (VMA5600-20000S)
- Arlo Pro SmartHub (VMB4540-100NAS) or Arlo Ultra SmartHub (VMB5000-100NAS) for "offline recordding" / OR a 14-day or 30-day CVR subscription for "online recording to Arlo cloud"

Subsequently, the CVR will be functional without electrical power?

Many thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MatoZ wrote:

If I understand this article correctly https://kb.arlo.com/1018425/What-is-continuous-video-recording-CVR-and-how-do-I-use-it. I need:

No.  The article specifically says

• An outdoor or indoor power adapter 

The solar panel won't work - it can trickle-charge the battery, but it doesn't deliver enough power for CVR.  And of course the panel doesn't charge at night.

In the case of the floodlight, it actually needs to be the outdoor power adapter.  One of these:

Though the pictures don't show it, but of these have a power adapter integrated into the other end of the cable (not detachable).

@MatoZ wrote:

The camera comes with this battery, so no need to purchase it separately.

@MatoZ wrote:

- Arlo Pro SmartHub (VMB4540-100NAS) or Arlo Ultra SmartHub (VMB5000-100NAS) for "offline recordding" / OR a 14-day or 30-day CVR subscription for "online recording to Arlo cloud"

Again, no.  you need BOTH a base and a CVR subscription.  You don't have to use a VMB4540 or  VMB5000, since CVR footage isn't stored locally.

But if you also want to see motion recordings in the app, you'd either also need an Arlo Secure subscription (in addition to the CVR subscription), or you'd need to use a VMB4540/VMB5000 and set up direct access to local storage.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MatoZ wrote:

No.  The article specifically says

• An outdoor or indoor power adapter 

The solar panel won't work - it can trickle-charge the battery, but it doesn't deliver enough power for CVR.  And of course the panel doesn't charge at night.

In the case of the floodlight, it actually needs to be the outdoor power adapter.  One of these:

Though the pictures don't show it, but of these have a power adapter integrated into the other end of the cable (not detachable).

@MatoZ wrote:

The camera comes with this battery, so no need to purchase it separately.

@MatoZ wrote:

Again, no.  you need BOTH a base and a CVR subscription.  You don't have to use a VMB4540 or  VMB5000, since CVR footage isn't stored locally.

But if you also want to see motion recordings in the app, you'd either also need an Arlo Secure subscription (in addition to the CVR subscription), or you'd need to use a VMB4540/VMB5000 and set up direct access to local storage.

MatoZ
Aspirant
Aspirant

@StephenBMany thanks for you detailed explanation. But it's bad news for me. I would need use the CVR only with a battery/batteries and a solar panel. So there is no such option with Arlo devices? 😞

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MatoZ wrote:

I would need use the CVR only with a battery/batteries and a solar panel. So there is no such option with Arlo devices? 😞

Unfortunately not.

CVR requires too much power for that to be practical.  

MatoZ
Aspirant
Aspirant

It is a big pity, but thank you for your reply.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation