Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Pro 3 floodlight not charging with solar panel

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
EDKJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just purchase the pro 3 floodlight and the solar panel charger VMA5600B for the pro 3 floodlight stated on the box. I charged the pro 3 indoors to 95% before mounting and hooking up the solar panel. The problem is when I connect the solar panel to the pro 3 it doesn’t charge and says to use a compatible charging device? 
It doesn’t want to charge the battery? Tryed to remove the pro 3 and start over. Same issue occurs? 

Does anyone know the fix? 

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Do you have another camera with the magnetic connector for charging? If so, see if that works. Sometimes cleaning the contacts on the cable and camera helps. Make sure the connector is fully seated (I try to wiggle it). If still no good, swap the panel at the store.

EDKJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your info. In case anyone else has the same problem I switched solar panels that I just purchased along with ultra 2 cameras and pro 3 flood camera. 
The solar panel was not charging the pro 3 flood camera and I received a message that I need to use the right charging device plus the panel also knocked the camera offline. When I moved the solar panel to the ultra 2 camera it did the same thing and  I realized It is the solar panel that is bad. Arlo is sending a replacement. 
thanks for your help! 

kasisbook
Aspirant
Aspirant

Has anyone hacked or modded an Arlo solar panel to provide constant power? I have one which I got free with my floodlight camera and fairly predictably the camera (or rather the light) drains the battery faster than the solar panel can recharge it, especially in winter. I want to provide constant power to the camera anyway but I refuse to pay the insane price that Arlo want for the outdoor power cable. I bought an indoor cable and it disables the camera when charging, which is totally pointless and not how it is described on the website or the packaging so Arlo will refund that. The camera knows that the solar charger is attached as I’ve seen that reported in Home Assistant so there must be some communication or identification of the type of charger by the camera, possibly just in the magnetic connector? I’d keep the wiring and connector as is, but add 5V or 12v, whatever it should be to the power wires from the solar panel.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@kasisbook wrote:

Has anyone hacked or modded an Arlo solar panel to provide constant power?

The panel can only produce power when it is well lit, so this doesn't make any sense.  I believe the camera detects the solar panel by simply looking at the input voltage (which is lower than it would get from a charger).

There are some third-party outdoor chargers that you could get for less cost if you don't want to pay for the one Arlo sells.  I haven't used them myself, so not a personal recommendation - I'm just pointing them out.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation