Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
aharman
Tutor
Tutor
I have the pro 3 floodlight running on battery and connected via WIFI (no hub) and it continually goes offline and then on its own will reconnect.

I have checked my nest WiFi stats and it says the camera has a great connection.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Would having a hub make a difference or having it plugged in?

Thanks in advance
59 REPLIES 59
DaOtherOne
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am having the same issue. I have done extensive debug on the problem and it appears to be an issue with the Arlo Server.  See attached PDF for the documented problem.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DaOtherOne wrote:

I am having the same issue. I have done extensive debug on the problem and it appears to be an issue with the Arlo Server.  See attached PDF for the documented problem.

It'll be interesting to hear what Arlo says.

It is clear from your traces that the server does terminate the connection sometimes. 

It's not so clear that the cameras are intended to always have an active connection to the cloud.  (Not saying you are wrong in thinking this, just saying that Arlo could have designed their systems so that the cameras only open up TCP connections when needed).

DaOtherOne
Apprentice
Apprentice

I agree it will be interesting to hear their response. I watched the Wireshark trace in real time and when the connection was reset by the Arlo server the application on my iPhone shows it was offline. 

There is no way for the Arlo server to initiate a connection to the end-point device (camera) because there is no method for the Arlo server to obtain a public IP for the internet access device.  The camera must initiate the connection in order for the Arlo server to obtain this information. The connection needs to be active at all times in order to for the application on the phone or Arlo server to make changes to the camera settings.

I have attached the ping statistics from the Camera and the my.arlo.com server.  The internet connection is stable and the camera is always connected to the Wi-Fi.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DaOtherOne wrote:

There is no way for the Arlo server to initiate a connection to the end-point device (camera) because there is no method for the Arlo server to obtain a public IP for the internet access device.  The camera must initiate the connection in order for the Arlo server to obtain this information.

That is of course correct.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I am NOT a networking wonk so disregard as needed.

There was another thread recently with a non-typical home network that couldn't get his hub connected. Turned out he also had a DNS server set up inside the network that was causing the issue. The fact that your cameras connect but then show offline would seem to throw that out as being your issue but maybe will click something to check in your network config.

DaOtherOne
Apprentice
Apprentice

That's a good suggestion.  I use Google 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. for DNS services. I monitor the availability and response time of their service.  They have an uptime of 100% and ping responses are always less that 350 milliseconds.

All Arlo related DNS queries to 8.8.8.8 return valid routing information.  See attached PDF

BernieK
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had same problem (camera says great connection). I noticed (at night) that my neighbors camera always records (light comes on) at the same time as my camera. I check my router and we were on the same Wifi channel. I changed my Wifi to an unused channel.

Problem solved! 

DaOtherOne
Apprentice
Apprentice

That's good information.  I tried that and still have the issue.  Attached is a scan of the WiFi systems near my house. I am using Channel 1.

Wifi Channels.jpg
BernieK
Aspirant
Aspirant

This probably won't help. In any case, I have a Netgear Modem / Wireless router. It was set to "auto" for the wifi channel. I was on channel 1 which was the same as my next door neighbor. I set the my channel to "5" (see attachment).

Screen Shot 2022-01-29 at 2.24.18 PM.png
Jtl4pr
Guide
Guide

SAME issue after doing factory reset. The camera works and then it 

doesn’t by going offline and not reconnecting. If I have to climb a ladder and take it down and reset every day for it to work it’s hardly worth the effort. I would like my money back because this thing does not work and no one there can see to figure out why. 

DaOtherOne
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have done multiple reset, changed channel assignments, moved the cameras around.  The problem keeps occurring.  I noticed the issue right after they December firmware release. That software release is really bad.  Unfortunately the company does not have method to run a previous level of the firmware in the event the current version has serious flaws in your application.  Still scratching my head on why this capability is missing. 

Jtl4pr
Guide
Guide
Try port forwarding from your router. Ive had the same issue and ZERO help or competence from the help desk. When I port forwarded for just that camera it’s been running fine for 4 days. Hasn’t done that since I got the camera.
DaOtherOne
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ok.  What should my setting be for the 2 cameras I have installed?

Check the attachment and tell me what needs to be in all of the fields.

Screenshot 2022-02-13 204310.jpg
dougmc79
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had the same issue with my Flood light. It started to go offline for no reason. All my other cameras worked fine. I changed it out with a Pro 4 and still had the same issue off going offline. I did have a arlo solar panel on these cameras. I had the is solar panel on the camera for 6 months with no issues. I took the solar panel off and it seems to be fine. I'm guess this might be my problem.

MikeOne
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue also. I have multiple Arlo's (pro) - they never go offline. One is next to (20 centimeters) the (just purchased) Floodlight (pointing the other way) - and it is fine. I have now re-synced/reset it 4 times over the past 24 hours, it's driving me nuts. Tried connecting to hub and to wifi directly. Even moved the hub. Nothing helps. After I sync, the connection strength is Strong (not strange, hub is like 8 feet away).

This product is flawed - and Arlo knows it.

Sending it back soon and get my money back. A security product that is unreliable as hell - what a joke. No response to the support casus yet (00454592).

fherselman
Star
Star

I gave up. It does not work. Won't refund. Send me a new one with heavy threats about charging me full price if the old one does not reach their warehouse within 7days. I find support unreasonable and unprofessional. 

I now have a very expensive security light. 

I simple will not pay subscription to a product that does not work.

I bought a very cheap camera. Installed it right next to the Floodlight and I go there to see my recordings. It works!  

DaOtherOne
Apprentice
Apprentice

The whole situation is embarrassing.  I feel sorry for the employees of this company.

Jtl4pr
Guide
Guide
Yes their support is incredibly unprofessional. I wouldn’t buy another thing from them.
bvanso
Aspirant
Aspirant

When I first purchased and installed past spring the floodlight did the same thing as mentioned.  Would go off at night or early morning.   After several week it started working fine.  My initial subscription ran out and I just restarted to be able to save the videos.  Ever since the subscription restarted I'm now have the problem again with camera going offline and having to reset every day.  I have noticed it goes offline when motion activates.  The light will flicker once and then shut done.

123Acc
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same here but it never reconnects. This just started to happen after my service expired. Nothing else changed and no troubleshooting works.

123Acc
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have no idea how to resolve this and am now hesitant to even call in fear of having to hassle with them that “it’s not me, it’s you” and prove all the troubleshooting I’ve already done.

bvanso
Aspirant
Aspirant

To reset I would pull battery and unit would go back online. Same problem would continue to occur. I opened a case with Arlo and started communicating with them. Walked through different scenarios with them where the camera would work, but not the spot light. The did replace the unit for me and the new unit has been working great for the past several weeks.

RedGuitars
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just bought one Essential cam and one floodlight cam. The floodlight cam will not stay online and has never shown the first camera image. At first I thought it was because it was charging. But now have tried plugged in, not plugged in, fully charged both times. Reconnected/login to WiFi repeatedly. I am very disappointed that what appears to be a common issue does not have a ready resolution. Should I return everything and go with Ring?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you brought the floodlight closer to your router or hub for testing? Have you removed and reconnected the camera in your account?

RedGuitars
Aspirant
Aspirant

Camera is 10’ from WiFi unit. Removed and re-added multiple times. 

I get the chime, then nothing. Device can’t be found. 

Discussion stats