Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
MNUser11
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm now getting a message on the app saying:

"Outside temperature is too cold.  Camera is operational and resumes charging once temperature rises."

My Arlo Pro 3 Floodlight (H6) just received an automatic firmware update to 1.080.26.5_58_3b3ef75 recently.  I use an Arlo outdoor charging cable (Item No. VMA5600C-100NAS) to an outlet so it's always plugged in.  The temperature outside is within camera operating temperature range of -20 to 45 degrees C or -4 to 113 degrees F.  It's been around 15 to 25 degrees F today.  Normally the battery icon in the app is a green lightning bolt with it always at 100%.  Now it's a red lightning bolt at a charge level of 76%.  I purchased the cable so I would not have to change the battery.  This last firmware definitely changed something for the worse.  It was working ok (besides the known audio clicks) before so please change it back.  Please fix.

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MNUser11 wrote:

"Outside temperature is too cold.  Camera is operational and resumes charging once temperature rises."

It's been around 15 to 25 degrees F today.  

That is normal, the battery won't charge below 32F.  It's not related to the firmware update,  Arlo cameras have always had this limitation.

Charging a lithium battery at below freezing temps will damage the battery - resulting in a permanent reduction in capacity.  See

Many battery users are unaware that consumer-grade lithium-ion batteries cannot be charged below 0°C (32°F). Although the pack appears to be charging normally, plating of metallic lithium occurs on the anode during a sub-freezing charge that leads to a permanent degradation in performance and safety. Batteries with lithium plating are more vulnerable to failure if exposed to vibration or other stressful conditions.

@MNUser11 wrote:

I use an Arlo outdoor charging cable (Item No. VMA5600C-100NAS) to an outlet so it's always plugged in.  

Then the camera will operate no matter what the charge level is.  So this limitation shouldn't be an issue for you.

MNUser11
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply.  I really hope you're correct about it should not being an issue if I'm always plugged in.  I don't understand how the battery level dropped in the first place.  I've never had a power outage since installing it.  It could have been that it was at 100% the whole time it was below 32 degrees so the icon was always green (not in a charging state).

It's 32 degrees now and it's still not charging.  Temps are going to plummet this weekend.

MPLS-RON
Aspirant
Aspirant

Do these cameras run off AC power when plugged in?  Or only run off battery power and use AC power only when battery drains?  I have had two old Arlo 2's I think for about 3 years.  They have been crap in the winter.  I have two of them hooked up two individual solar panels.  I didn't know of this 32F limitation, but it explains a lot.  Basically the cameras stop charging 2-3 times a winter, and when I finally find the time, I pull the ladder out, bring the cameras down and charge inside for a day, and put them back outside and they work.  I assumed it was due to the constant cloudiness.  32F is an unreasonable threshold and they should warn the buyer in large bold print during the sale if this is truly the limitation.  It's ridiculous.

Now I am bummed because I recently purchased the Pro 3 spotlight and was hoping that 1) it came with a hardwire pigtail with which I could replace an existing motion light (which it didn't) , or 2) at the very least, if I provide an outlet, it would at least work in cold temps.  I would think, one should  just be able to remove the lithium battery and if the flood light is plugged in, the camera would still work.  Is this not the case?

I recently replaced my one camera in front of my house with the hardwired doorbell from Arlo and this has worked fine so far in cold temps.  So I guess my best option might just be running 24volts to a doorbell in the back of our property too.  They need to find a better solution for people in cold climates.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MPLS-RON wrote:

Do these cameras run off AC power when plugged in?  Or only run off battery power and use AC power only when battery drains? 

They will run off the AC power, but you do need to use the outdoor charger (not the indoor one).  The camera will charge, but not function with the indoor (5 volt) charger, it will function with the outdoor (9 volt) charger.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation