Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Pro 3 Floodlights Not Charging

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
AB23
Star
Star

I have 2 pro 3 floodlights. For roughly a month, they have refused to recognize the magnetic charging cable when attached. 

I have connected both floodlights via different charging cables (Arlo brand) that have been verified to work on other cameras. I have switched housings, in case there was an issue with that connection. I have thoroughly cleaned the connection points. I have also switched batteries in the floodlights. I've also tried the floodlights in different locations, with the same issues.

The following has happened:

1. A red "charging icon" in the main app screen;

2. A recurring yellow "error message" in the app's camera settings, indicating that I need an Arlo-brand cable. This message appears and disappears on a repeating cycle of a few seconds.

3. The floodlights will occasionally display the rapid blue LED, and then start making a recurrent faint clicking noise that won't stop.

4. When the magnetic cable is connected, with the clicking and error messages, the battery drains rapidly - going from 100% to 0% within a day or so. The clicking seems to be related to the yellow error message

Given that both floodlights are showing the same behavior, with different Arlo charging cables, it seems unlikely this is a camera issue. Rather, I suspect it is related to the 7-3-2023 firmware update to 1.080.28.0_12_590aec8. I also suspect this issue and the solar-panel charging issue, posted about by others, are related.

It seems that camera "knows" a cable is attached, but there is some issue preventing the camera from actually "recognizing" the cable or that it is supposed to charging.

Is anyone else having this problem?

6 REPLIES 6
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

It sounds like you are trying to use the indoor magnetic cable+charger to charge the battery.  That won't work with the floodlight.

Options for charging the floodlight are

1. use the outdoor charger with the magnetic connector
  2. use the solar panel ( VMA5600-20000S)
  3. remove the camera from the housing, and use the microusb connector on the side of the camera body.
  4. get the standalone  charger (VMA5400C-100NAS)
AB23
Star
Star

All 3 of our charging cables are the lengthy outdoor outdoor charging cables. They've worked successfully for at least a year until recently. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@AB23 wrote:

All 3 of our charging cables are the lengthy outdoor outdoor charging cables. They've worked successfully for at least a year until recently. 

Ok, those of course should be working.

I suggest removing one camera from the account, and then doing the hardware reset on that camera (holding down the sync button inside until the camera LED flashes amber).  Then add it back to the account, and see if it charges normally.

If that works, then do the same with the other two cameras.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Just a thought - are the cameras fully seated in the cases so they click? That's required for the internal contacts to be properly made.

AB23
Star
Star

Unfortunately, this did not work. The camera is still behaving the same way (audible clicks, error messages, etc.).

I also double-checked to make sure that it is fully seated in the housing. 

Any other suggestions? It seems odd that both floodlight cameras are showing the same behavior at the same time. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Since you have a subscription, use Settings, Support (Center) to select your camera model. Scroll down to Contacts and talk to official support.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation