Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Issues with smart notifications, cameras not recording, excessive video events, etc.

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
rtbartz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Why should I stay with Arlo when:

1.   Smart notifications don’t work. Get motion notifications even when I have All Other Motion setting not activated on a camera (e.g. only have people notification turned on). Only have people notification setting activated but always get motion notifications (dogs in backyard). 

2.   Of the 7 cameras I have, 4 quit recording video a few months ago. Two of those 4 give motion notification when it shouldn’t. The other two of those 4 give no notification whatsoever, even for motion. One of those two is the Arlo doorbell.

3.   I get a zillion motion video event’s when I shouldn’t, and I can only delete one at a time. I don’t want to wait for them to roll off. If I delete one that I should have kept, that’s on me.

This is my home security system. I can’t rely on it when these basic functions don’t work. So, why should I stay with Arlo?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
rtbartz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hot diggity dog. For those cameras, the record video option was off. They are now turned on. You sir, are why I should stay with Arlo. Thanks for sticking with me on this.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
rtbartz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Correction: Smart Notifications only filter the notifications, not the cameras. So, I think that the camera will detect any motion and create a video. Please correct me if I am wrong about that. However, I am still left with not being able to filter motions detected by a camera, so that I don’t end up with a zillion video events to wade through. What can be done to mitigate that situation?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rtbartz wrote:

Correction: Smart Notifications only filter the notifications, not the cameras. So, I think that the camera will detect any motion and create a video.

Correct.

@rtbartz wrote:

However, I am still left with not being able to filter motions detected by a camera, so that I don’t end up with a zillion video events to wade through. 

You can also select the event types you want to see in the Library (or Feed).  That's not sticky, so you'd need to redo it from time to time.  But it is a way to quickly skip over videos you don't need to see.  Note this is only about retrieving from the storage, there is no way to prevent recordings of specific notification types.

rtbartz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for your feedback. Very much appreciated. Perhaps you could tell me why some of my cameras quit making videos. I saw some mention of this in this community forum saying that others have had this happen to them, that a fix was needed. Or might you already know how to fix this?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rtbartz wrote:

Perhaps you could tell me why some of my cameras quit making videos.

What camera models?

Are they in a subscription plan?

rtbartz
Apprentice
Apprentice

For some reason I couldn’t reply to your email, so I’m replying this way. The cameras not recording video are Arlo Pro 3 Floodlight cameras and the Arlo doorbell, and I am subscribed to the Safe and Secure plan.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rtbartz wrote:

For some reason I couldn’t reply to your email,

The email was sent to by the forum, to alert you to my reply here.  You can't reply back.

@rtbartz wrote:

The cameras not recording video are Arlo Pro 3 Floodlight cameras and the Arlo doorbell, and I am subscribed to the Safe and Secure plan.

Can you livestream these cameras?  If you can, then try making a manual recording and see if that works.  If you've enable 2K livestreaming, turn it off temporarily before you try this.

rtbartz
Apprentice
Apprentice

I can livestream the cameras and manually create a recording. As for the 2k streaming, I could not find that option. Where would it be if I have it?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rtbartz wrote:

As for the 2k streaming, I could not find that option. Where would it be if I have it?

It's in the video settings for the floodlight cameras.  Note that if you enable it, you won't be able to make manual recordings or take snapshots.

@rtbartz wrote:

I can livestream the cameras and manually create a recording.

That says that your cameras are in a subscription plan - which is needed for cloud storage.

Probably obvious, but have you checked that the cameras are armed?

rtbartz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well, I guess it is not so obvious to me. How do you ‘arm’ an Arlo Pro 3 Spotlight camera? 

rtbartz
Apprentice
Apprentice

P.S. I did look at the video settings for the 2k option, but it is not there.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rtbartz wrote:

Well, I guess it is not so obvious to me. How do you ‘arm’ an Arlo Pro 3 Spotlight camera? 

If your user interface shows "Library", then select the "Mode" option in the app.  

If you use a base station, then select the base.  Otherwise select the camera.  See that mode is "Armed".

If your user interface shows "Feed", then select "routines", and check that the mode is set to "Armed Away".

rtbartz
Apprentice
Apprentice

I wish it were that easy, but I don’t see anywhere in my iPhone app a Library option. Now I am using a Main Hub and I saw something that said if I go to Standby mode, I can choose which cameras to arm. So I switched to Standby, but again, couldn’t find anywhere the option to arm or disarm a camera. 

rtbartz
Apprentice
Apprentice

P.S. I was too quick to reply the last time. I do have a Feed option, so I went to Routines and am now trying to work it out.

rtbartz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hot diggity dog. For those cameras, the record video option was off. They are now turned on. You sir, are why I should stay with Arlo. Thanks for sticking with me on this.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rtbartz wrote:

Thanks for sticking with me on this.

Glad I could help.

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation