Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

How to connect the Cameras on a SmartHub to Internet thru Access Points

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
JERTLY
Aspirant
Aspirant

I extended my Asus Zen Mesh Wi-Fi to the opposite side of a metal building via a TP-Link Omada OC200 controller with 2 TP-Link Omada EAP110-Outdoor Access Points. My Floodlights are within a few feet in a clear line of sight to the APs but will not connect to the AP's WiFi. The cams try to connect spotily and weakly to the distant wifi from the house. The Arlo SmartHub and the TP-Link Omada OC200 Controller are both visible on my network. The APs show they are functioning with no issue. The only way I can imagine to connect them is to take the cameras down and reprogram them directly to my router instead of using the SmartHub. In making that change, I loose the ability to record locally tho and per the documentation, the cameras use more battery energy without a SmartHub.  Is there any way to get the APs to see the cameras directly? What am I missing? I am a newb btw.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@JERTLY wrote:

Is there any way to get the APs to see the cameras directly? What am I missing? 

You can either pair the cameras with a smarthub, or pair them with your home wifi. Since you are paired with the smarthub, the cameras will only connect to the smarthub's closed wifi network.

You can change that using this procedure:

Note that the floodlights, the pro 4s, and the essential cameras are the models that can be connected to your home wifi.  

Also, if you do make this change, you won't get any local storage, since that requires the cameras to be paird with the base.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@JERTLY wrote:

Is there any way to get the APs to see the cameras directly? What am I missing? 

You can either pair the cameras with a smarthub, or pair them with your home wifi. Since you are paired with the smarthub, the cameras will only connect to the smarthub's closed wifi network.

You can change that using this procedure:

Note that the floodlights, the pro 4s, and the essential cameras are the models that can be connected to your home wifi.  

Also, if you do make this change, you won't get any local storage, since that requires the cameras to be paird with the base.

JERTLY
Aspirant
Aspirant

Tysm, took them down and reprogramed each to my router rather than the SmartHub. They now get solid internet service. 

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation