Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Device is charging. Some settings may be unavailable.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
shieldskk96
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a Pro3 Floodlight that I’ve been using for the last 3 months without any problems.  It just stopped recording motion for some reason, and and I receive the message “the camera and light are disabled while charging, and will not respond to mode changes” in the device settings under the base station. I don’t have a subscription and only have recordings available for 7 days. I have three cameras connected the the base station, two Arlo Pro 2 wire-free cameras along with the floodlight. All three are outdoors and connected to the magnetic outdoor charging cables and all are at 100% and within Wi-Fi range, however the floodlight just stopped recording and went offline, but the other two cameras are functioning and recording properly. I removed the floodlight battery and factory reset it, however it still isn’t recording even though I continue to get motion detection messages from the activity zone that is established. 

11 REPLIES 11
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The floodlight can be charged via the outdoor charger with no issues but not the indoor one which disables the camera while charging.

The free 7 day plan is only for cameras up to the Pro 2. Any newer camera, starting in 2018, requires a subscription for cloud recordings and zones if not AC powered. The floodlight came with a trial sub which is why you got 3 months' worth of cloud recording but apparently that has expired. You either need to purchase a single camera sub or set up local recordings if your base supports it (VMB4000 and 4500). However, you would need to eject the drive to view videos on a computer. The VMB4540 and 5000 can view the videos directly via the app but it's not the same as the cloud recordings.

shieldskk96
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm confused, as you mentioned that the floodlight "requires a subscription for cloud recordings and zones if not AC powered".  My floodlight is AC powered.  I had no idea when I purchased the Arlo Pro 3 Floodlight that it didn't provide the same services (7 days of cloud recording and activity zones) as my Pro 2 Cameras without paying for a subscription.  With the fee trial, I understood that I was getting 30 days of cloud recording available for 90 days, which would revert back to 7 days if I didn't purchase a subscription.  After spending many hours comparing different products originally when I purchased my Arlo Pro 2 cameras, I specifically made the decision to purchase them based on the services provided which didn't require a subscription.  I now have hundreds of dollars wrapped up in their cameras, with one that doesn't work the same way that the others do, which is incredibly frustrating.  This is a complete bait and switch in my opinion, and they should grandfather prior customers into the plan they originally purchased.  The thing that is even more frustrating is, there is absolutely no way to speak with a live person at the company unless you pay for a subscription.  I am requesting anyone who works at the company to contact me directly, as I will not be bullied into paying for a subscription which I don't want or need based on the fact that the existing product that I have works perfectly for my needs.   

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@shieldskk96 wrote:

My floodlight is AC powered.  

You need to use the outdoor charger to get full operation of the floodlight camera.  If you see the "device is charging" message, then you must be using the indoor charger (or a third-party 5 volt charger).

With the outdoor charger, you would have activity zones w/o needing a subscription.  But not cloud storage.

@shieldskk96 wrote:

I understood that I was getting 30 days of cloud recording available for 90 days, which would revert back to 7 days if I didn't purchase a subscription.  

Unfortunately, Arlo stopped offering free 7-day cloud storage on new camera models back in 2018 - starting with the Ultra.  

If you have a VMB4540 or VMB5000 base, you could use direct access to local storage.  It's not great user experience though - several limitations when compared to a subscription.

shieldskk96
Aspirant
Aspirant

The floodlight is connected to the magnetic outdoor charging cable, which is then connected to an extension cord that is plugged in.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Guess I missed that part of your original post - sorry. In any event, you need either a subscription for cloud recordings or a SmartHub (4540 or 5000) to avoid the sub and use local recordings that you can view via the app. I suspect you have an older base which may support local recordings but you would have to eject the drive for viewing on a computer. The VMB3xxx bases do NOT support local recordings at all.

shieldskk96
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a VMB4500

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Local recordings will work but you'll need to eject the drive for viewing. Whether that's suitable for you is your decision.

shieldskk96
Aspirant
Aspirant

That absolutely doesn't work for me.  I hate to give this company one more cent, and I will not purchase a subscription, but if I purchase the SmartHub 4540 or 5000 are you saying that I will definitely be able to get recordings viewable on the app and activity zones for my Pro 3 Floodlight?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@shieldskk96 wrote:

and activity zones for my Pro 3 Floodlight?

If you have the outdoor charger connected, then you should have activity zones w/o a subscription.

You also shouldn't be seeing the "device is charging" message.  If you are, then it would be helpful to know if you are using the Arlo outdoor charger (as opposed to a third party charger).

@shieldskk96 wrote:

but if I purchase the SmartHub 4540 or 5000 are you saying that I will definitely be able to get recordings viewable on the app and activity zones for my Pro 3 Floodlight?

More information is here:

Limitations include

1. recordings only available on the app (not the router)
  2. recordings only available from the primary account (not friend accounts)
  3. no ability to make manual recordings or snapshots
  4. no thumbnails - all recordings need to be downloaded to the phone to view
  5. remote access requires router settings that some find difficult (and which aren't available with all internet service providers).

On 5 - it won't work for sure with mobile broadband or Starlink.  It will work with most landline ISPs, but not all.

You can test if it will work for you by temporarly forwarding a port (for example 54321) in your router, and then verify the port is actually open using https://canyouseeme.org/

Delete the port forwarding rule after you've tested this.

shieldskk96
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am using the Arlo magnetic outdoor charger that came with the Pro 3 Floodlight when I purchased it. 

shieldskk96
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well, I just read that the Arlo Pro 2 will be reach "End Of Life" at the end of 2024, so I may just take the Pro 3 Floodlight back and look to purchase a different security camera system all together to replace all of my Arlo cameras since it won't be long before they aren't supported anyway.  The Pro 2 camera's are perfect for my needs, however I'm not going to be bullied into purchasing subscriptions for all of my camera's.  In addition, the only way that the Pro 3 Floodlight may work is if I purchased a new hub, so if I'm going to sink several hundred dollars more into my security camera system, I'll see if I can find a new system that may actually provide support and the services I want without a subscription.  That may not be possible in today's day and age, but I guess I'll see.  

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation