Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 3 Floodlight - Charging issues with "Outdoor Charging Cable"

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
NormCouturier
Guide
Guide

I bought 2 Floodlight cameras, which will be exterior-mounted under my roof's soffit, continuously powered by 5V power adapters plugged into 120v receptacles I installed in my soffit.  When I researched the cameras, I was informed that I needed an "Outdoor Magnetic Charging cable".  I could not find stock anywhere for the official Arlo Outdoor Magnetic Charging cable, so I ordered the Wasserstein Outdoor Magnetic Charging cable.

So, the cameras charge, but I get the error "The camera and light are disabled while charging, and will not respond to mode changes", effectively rendering the camera useless in operation.

After much searching i the Arlo Community, I discovered that this is a somewhat common problem. However, I do not see any conclusive answers on any of the Arlo forums.  All solutions simply suggest to "get the Arlo Outdoor Magnetic Charging cable" and that "we don't recommend using third-party products".  I spent over an hour this evening on an Arlo Support chat, only to get fed the same "stupid customer" solutions.

Does anybody in this community have the definitive answer as to what would be the specific reason why the Arlo Outdoor Magnetic Charging cable is so special?   For example, what does it do that the Wasserstein Outdoor Magnetic Charging cable does not?  Is it the cable, or is it the adapter?

Also, what specifically does the camera do to detect and determine that my Wasserstein Outdoor Magnetic Charging cable is not sufficient?

I tried testing my Wasserstein Outdoor Magnetic Charging cable with various power adaptors: the Arlo 5.0V/2.0A (came with the camera), Wasserstein 5.2v/2.0A, Platinum 5.0V/3.0A, and Apple 5.1V/2.1A.  All yielded the same error I mentioned above.  My first question is – does anyone know the power and current output of the official Arlo Outdoor Magnetic Charging Cable Adapter?

So, I could speculate that it's something to do with the cable - but what?  It's definitely not wire gauge or length of cable - that would have no effect in a 16' cable.  Is there something proprietary about the cable (i.e. built-in resistor,…)?

I would appreciate any knowledge that somebody has here on the topic. I can go spend $130.00 CAD on a pair of "special" cables if I have to - however, I would love to know why I am required to do so. 

Thanks for any insights!

Cheers,

Norm

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
NormCouturier
Guide
Guide

Well, I found the answer.  

I was getting no answers from Arlo support, and finally found available stock for the official Arlo Magnetic Outdoor Charging Cable (on Am@zon.ca).  So I ordered 2 cables at $65 CAD each.  Too expensive, but I needed a solution.

The product received was an adapter/cable unit - 9V 1.0A DC adapter, with permanently attached cable.  So, l suspect that the camera expects to see 9V from the external charging port on the camera housing to function normally - and if it sees 5V instead, will disable operation.

Therefore, you'll need to buy the official Arlo Magnetic Outdoor Charging Cable, since you are unlikely to find a 3rd-party 9VDC adapter with a USB port on it for you to connect to the magnetic charging cable that came with the camera.

Cheers - Norm

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
NormCouturier
Guide
Guide

Well, I found the answer.  

I was getting no answers from Arlo support, and finally found available stock for the official Arlo Magnetic Outdoor Charging Cable (on Am@zon.ca).  So I ordered 2 cables at $65 CAD each.  Too expensive, but I needed a solution.

The product received was an adapter/cable unit - 9V 1.0A DC adapter, with permanently attached cable.  So, l suspect that the camera expects to see 9V from the external charging port on the camera housing to function normally - and if it sees 5V instead, will disable operation.

Therefore, you'll need to buy the official Arlo Magnetic Outdoor Charging Cable, since you are unlikely to find a 3rd-party 9VDC adapter with a USB port on it for you to connect to the magnetic charging cable that came with the camera.

Cheers - Norm

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The 9v output is at least partly due to the extra length of the wires in that 25  foot cable. It's not that 9v is required to charge, unlike the older Pro/Pro 2 cameras which needed the Qualcomm Quick Charge capability. The indoor charger is 5v so the camera/battery only needs that voltage.

NormCouturier
Guide
Guide

(jguerdat),

Thanks for the additional detail.

My original complaint, like other folks that have launched complaints about this charging issue, stemmed from the camera's logic that has it shutting off because I'm not using the "official" Arlo outdoor charger.

The camera has a 5v battery - it charges fine with a 5V power adapter. This is evident with the supplied 5v adapter and cable connected to the "internal" charging port on the camera. So, it would stand to reason that I should be able to connect the same power adapter to the external charging port, simply by using a magnetic cable vs. a micro-USB cable.  I actually have a 6' magnetic cable.  The 5v power adapter (supplied with the camera) and a 6' magnetic cable should charge sufficiently, indoor or outdoor.

In my case, my 2 cameras are mounted in the soffit of my roof overhang, with a 120v supply receptacle installed 1' away.  Therefore, I could get away with a 1' cable.  A 6' cable should not pose any line-loss issue.

I don't need 25' of cable - Arlo forces me there by only supplying 1 supported charging product - that's where the complaint starts with most people I've read about on this forum.

As a side note - I could drill a hole in the side of the camera's outdoor shell, to access the internal micro-USB charging port, and happily charge outdoors with the supplied adapter and cable.  Yet, I had to spend $130 CAD to buy a "compatible" charger, just so I could have a more "clean" installation (ie using the external magnetic charging port).

Cheers,

Norm

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

The 9v output is at least partly due to the extra length of the wires in that 25  foot cable. It's not that 9v is required to charge

True, but in the case of the floodlight, you do need 9v to run on AC power. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I haven't tried it but using the indoor power supply to test whether the camera will still operate may be illuminating. (Sorry...) If so, 9v isn't needed to run the camera.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

I haven't tried it but using the indoor power supply to test whether the camera will still operate may be illuminating. 

I have, and that doesn't work.

It's also addressed in the manual - see page 81 of 

Your floodlight is inactive while the USB Charging Cable or Indoor Magnetic Charging Cable is
plugged in. This is because these charging cables are meant for indoor charging only.
To use the floodlight, record audio, and record video while your camera charges, you must use
an Outdoor Magnetic Charging Cable or Arlo Solar Panel, which are sold separately

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Ah, yes, now I remember. Good point.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation