Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Replacing Arlo pro 2 with pro 4 ?

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
timokekkonen
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a system with 4 Arlo 2 cameras. As one of the cameras is draining its battery suddenly - within a day or so I have concluded there is something wrong with the camera. I have replaced the battery and also moved the camera to a different location and the same thing happens. After charging it works normally and the battery percentage will slowly drop -- and the suddenly within a few hours it drops from a figure above 95% to 15%. If somebody has an idea as to the reason or if it is fixed that would be appreciated. However my question is - assuming the camera is broken - can I add a newer camera eg. an Arlo Pro 4 to the same base station ?

4 REPLIES 4
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Regards the pro4 camera, it is compatible with a vmb4xxx or 5000 base/hub. Subscription plan is required though. The pro4 can also connect directly to your local wifi instead of a vmb3xxx Base station, still needs a subscription.

Will the pro2 still quickly drain the battery if placed near the base station? The camera’s wifi module might be faulty causing it to constantly try to communicate with the Base station.

If you plug the camera into power do you notice if it gets too hot, if not then you could still use it indoors.

timokekkonen
Aspirant
Aspirant

The base station is a vmb4500 so it is compatible. I naturally have a subscription plan  for my 5 cameras. If I replace the obviously broken camera with a pro4 do I need a separate plan or do I have to update something.

I would replace the pro2 series camera with a new Pro2 camera but at least here in Finland there are no Pro2 cameras for sale anymore. I'll also try the camera inside near to the base station but that won't solve the problem I have outside with one missing camera 😉

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

The pro4 should work the same as the pro2. You may just need to make sure that it is matched with the existing multiple subscription plan.

The pro2 cameras were bundled with arlo 7days free cloud storage so that should still be in place unless you added them to the multi camera subscription to use the extra cloud services.

When you add the pro4 might be best to add it also to the base station rather than the local wifi so you can manipulate custom modes easier.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Just thinking more on the problem pro2 camera, have you tried resetting the base station, or removed it from the arlo account and adding it back again?

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation