Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
OttisbergArlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have an Arlo 2 4 camera system, 3 of the cameras just when offline saying "This device is inactive, A paid subscription is required to activate the device."

I don't want a subscription, just to get my cameras active.

I have read and understand that more than 5 camera needs a subscription, but I only have 4.

Odd that 1 camera is still working and recording.

What can I do to get these cameras back?

Thank you.

45 REPLIES 45
jandmmichels
Aspirant
Aspirant

Removed batteries from cameras, removed power and wifi from base, uninstalled app. Then was busy until now. Reinstalled app, put battery back in each camera, and restored power and wifi to base.

Everything is working now. However since we have had the cameras documenting wildlife and deer feeding all evening through night into early morning for years and working perfectly until midnight June 30th, I believe the problem was with Arlo. But happy that my cameras are working again. Restores my trust in Arlo. I intend to upgrade my base, and cameras, and add longer storage soon.

Estones72
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have no subscription nor do I want one. Just want to keep the same 7 day cloud that I have always had with the Arlo 2s. Can I do that?  How do I get cameras to work again?

jcbergquist71
Aspirant
Aspirant

One of my four cameras says it needs a subscription.  I thought we could have up to five with out a subscription??

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

karafu
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi @ShayneS .

Any update on this issue? I have not been able to use any of my cameras for over a week.

kfrank8506
Aspirant
Aspirant

Solved for me  (were INACTIVE not offline):

We had the same error message saying our cams were inactive and needed a subscription, after a base station power reset a few weeks ago.  We have ARLO PRO and PRO 2s that should not need a subscription to activate.

We removed the Base Station, and re-added it and all of the CAMS (we have 4 wireless) and voila.. all is good.

Note: after the base station is "re-discovered" and added, you can re-add your cams by simply clicking SYNC on the base station for 2 -seconds until the SYNC light (right) blinks and then bring the cam within 2 feet of the base station and click SYNC on the CAM for 2 seconds. When the blue light stops blinking, it should be added under the base station. 

I will add this post to a few threads since I see so many are still having this issue. TECH SUPPORT, feel free to add to or revise these instructions to help those that need this fix.

ARLO has honestly been a great product and I would hate to think about replacing our rather large investment with a lower quality product.  If you can afford the monthly fee and new equipment, I HIGHLY suggest it.

kfrank8506
Aspirant
Aspirant

Remove and re add base station and cameras..

karafu
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you @kfrank8506 for the tip! I removed the base station, re-added it and then added back each of the 5 cameras, and now the issue is resolved.

ola_nigell
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have two older ( 5-7 years) arlo cameras conected to a base station Netgear WBM 3000. I like to buy three more cameras , arlo pro 4 will it work? 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No. See the following link. The VMB3xxx series are too old to allow connecting newer cameras to them. Most of the new cameras such as the Pro 4 can connect directly to your WiFi so you don't have to buy a new hub unless you want to future-proof your setup.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062284/Arlo-SmartHub-and-Base-Station-Compatibility

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi,

Are we still experiencing this issue after removing and-reading the device(s)?

Thanks

karafu
Aspirant
Aspirant

No issues on my end. Working just like before after removing and re-adding.

cdm30389
Aspirant
Aspirant

No, I am still having an issue. After removing the base station and cameras, I was able to add the base station back, however, none of my cameras will now reconnect.  I have tried using the sync buttons on both the base station and camera and also using the app and camera. Just slow blinks blue forever. No attempt to sync it seems.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@cdm30389 

Can you try factory resetting the cameras again by pressing and hold the Sync button for about 15 seconds, until the camera LED begins blinking Blue, then release the button.

Have you tried onboarding via the web portal? 

StephRu
Aspirant
Aspirant

We just took Arlo pro 2 off our other house and are trying to connect to existing system with Arlo 2. And am receiving subscription required message.  Resetting all cameras and resync is not an option as existing cameras are in an area not easily accessible.  There are 3 cameras currently on each base station.    What is the solution?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@StephRu wrote:

There are 3 cameras currently on each base station.    What is the solution?

Did you always have 6 cameras in the account (number of cameras per base isn't relevant).

The free 7-day storage for the Pro 2 cameras was (and is)  limited to 5 or fewer unsubscribed cameras in the account. There was one exception - for a brief time Arlo offered a 6-camera sku that also offered this.  That did have 7-day cloud storage (and Arlo still should be providing it).

StephRu
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have 3 cameras on each base station.   All 6 show on my app.  I even added a third base station and while the camera sync to it , it gives the subscription message too 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@StephRu wrote:

I have 3 cameras on each base station.   All 6 show on my app.  I even added a third base station and while the camera sync to it , it gives the subscription message too 

Again, if you have more than 5 unsubscribed cameras in the account, you lose the free 7-day cloud storage and need a subscription. It doesn't matter how many base stations you have (or the number of cameras connected to each base).

Did you only have 5 before?  (It's not clear from your first post whether you were moving a camera from one home to the other, or if you were adding the 6th camera).

You could set up a one account for each home, and then use the friend account feature to share the cameras between the two accounts.  That would avoid the need for a subscription.  However, you would need to shift to the new "Feed" and "Dashboard" user experience if you do that.  There are some limitations in "Feed" that you should read up on before migrating to it.

A_r_l_o003
Aspirant
Aspirant

hello any reply from arlo why we now need to get paid subscription?

A_r_l_o003
Aspirant
Aspirant

have they come back with an answer yet?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@A_r_l_o003 

Can you provide more detail regarding the symptoms you are experiencing?

Discussion stats