Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Permission to view and market content

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
SteveSteve
Aspirant
Aspirant

New, sorry if old subject. I read the fine print but am still not certain. Does Arlo have my permission to look at my videos, mine the information in them, and do whatever they want with the video?

3 REPLIES 3
Swaf85
Aspirant
Aspirant
It is their cloud storage that keeps the video. Ask yourself, if you had a server filled with video of other people's lives and property, would you look at it? Even if you promised really hard not to look, what would you do if someone offered 5$ to look and they promised not to tell anyone. Or even closer to the truth what if you had the videos in a box that others payed you to keep in a closet, would you check to make sure someone wasn't looking at them as you don't really spend much time in that closet because you have a maid that cleans it up and she promised really hard not to look in the box of movies and you both totally believe her and honestly don't care as they aren't your movies. I'm trying to say, while they may not say they consider the recordings to be their property and they'll watch them whenever they want, all they'd need to do is literally look at their own media storage location and you'd never know. If it concerns you, use the external storage option if it's available.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

As an ex-IT systems administrator, I'm here to tell you that I never had the time to look through anyone's accounts, emails, etc. without a real reason (troubleshooting someone's account, locating evidence leading to firing, etc.). With these videos, it would be mind-numbing to check even one account, not to mention millions. Someone, somewhere, has the ability to see everything, just as with your email provider, banks and who knows what else.

That said, I don't know of a specific statement on any of this. It may exist but I'm not going to waste my time looking for it because I'm simply not that important to anyone but my wife.

SteveSteve
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the responses.

So it sounds like they have the capability to look at the video if they want...that it is either stored unencrypted or they have the cryptographic keys to allow them to look at it. And if they can view it they can make it available to others. I also understand the perspective of being too busy to look at any of the tons of junk in there.

But what about doing it in an automated way? Like mining the facial recognition or vehicle information and associating it with the names you have given them and the local address?  I can think of many marketing/advertising opportunities based on being able to identify and classify a person and knowing when someone is home.

Also, does anyone know what country the servers are in? 

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation