Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Motion detection range is unacceptable

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Shmaya
Follower
Follower

I pruchased and installed the 3 pack wireless arlo pro 2 system this week and the main events I want to capture is people and or cars coming up my driveway which is about 80 feet long hesading directly to the driveway camera sitting 30 feet up.

Prior to the arlo I have had cheap chinese made $40 dollar cameras of which I use zonealarm with several zones to ignore regions where trees sway and have one active reagion along the driveway so I can capture number plates or peoples faces coming up my driveway, this worked perfectly without fail. However the Arlo has not once captured any motion on the driveway regardless of position and the detection is at 100%. It only detects off to the side when a person is walking up the stairs in a side motion direction for a few seconds during that visable range.

I think it is absurd all the data has to go to the cloud and the system seems to be soley reliant on a cheap built in PIR for motion of which I guess has zero analsysis on frame by frame searching for blobl or pixel changes. The data should be stored locally on storage to perform such analysis and yield a far better result.

I cannot use this system for security or assisting police or insurance if a car comes up my driveway and my house is robbed as there will be nothing captured coming up my driveway, ie. number plate, car make and model and people.

Very disappointing product for the price. It is unbelievble yoru organisation is asking for $2000 per year for cloud storage along with thge steep price of an inferiour product that does very little to capture the most important events.  

I only went for these due to the wireless aspect hoping they would be as good if not better than the 3 wired $50.00 cameras I used.

When will you make the footage availble to local storage? I'd like to use zonealarm to perform succesful motion detection capturing of events.

Also I'd like to see your policy in regards to the protection and use of my video footage being stored on your cloud services along with audit results.

Thanks for listening.

1 REPLY 1
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Shmaya,

Positioning the cameras 30 feet up and attempting to detect motion up to 80 feet away will very likely be an issue as these ranges are well outside the designed specs for the cameras. For more information on camera positioning, take a look here:

How do I position my Arlo Wire-Free or Arlo Pro Wire-Free camera?
How do I optimize my Arlo Wire-Free camera’s motion detection performance?

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation