Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Motion Detection does not with upgrade

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Radc5
Aspirant
Aspirant

I recently added a new Essential gen 2 camera and that forced a an upgrade to the new user interface.

All my cameras work with manually looking at live video, but only the new Essential gen 2 works with motion.  I have removed that camera and all the remaining cameras still do not detect motion.

Is this by design to force older camera users to buy a subscription?

10 REPLIES 10
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Radc5 wrote:

I recently added a new Essential gen 2 camera and that forced a an upgrade to the new user interface.

All my cameras work with manually looking at live video, but only the new Essential gen 2 works with motion.  I have removed that camera and all the remaining cameras still do not detect motion.

How many unsubscribed cameras are there in the account?

Can you make a manual recording while livestreaming?

Have you checked the camera rules, to make sure the older cameras are armed (and set to record when they detect motion)?

Radc5
Aspirant
Aspirant

There are 5 cameras (1 Essential gen 1, 2 Pro 2, 2 Pro) and 1 Doorbell.

Yes, I can make live video recordings manually.  And yes, I armed all and made sure rules had motion detection, recording, notification.  But the motion does not work.  Its almost like the account will only let 1 new camera work.  I removed the new one and cancelled the 30 day trial.  When that new one was active, the motion detection worked with the trial and said only 1 camera is allowed.

I thought that if I removed that new camera the account would work like before.  But it doesn’t.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Radc5 wrote:

There are 5 cameras (1 Essential gen 1, 2 Pro 2, 2 Pro) and 1 Doorbell.

The video doorbell counts as a camera, so if you have one of those then there are (were???) 6 cameras in the account.

How many of these are in a subscription plan (either paid or trial)?

Radc5
Aspirant
Aspirant

None of the 6 are in a paid or trial subscription.  

I had an Essential gen 2 that was in a 30 day trial, but removed that camera and cancelled the trial sub.

Shouldn’t the old cameras (that worked fine in the old user interface) work in the new interface without a subscription?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Radc5 wrote:

Shouldn’t the old cameras (that worked fine in the old user interface) work in the new interface without a subscription?

The problem isn't the migration to the new interface.

The 7-day cloud storage the legacy cameras is only provided if you have 5  or fewer unsubscribed cameras in the account.

Now you have 6, so the free cloud storage was disabled.  To get it back you either need to get a subscription for at least one of the cameras, or remove one camera from the account.

Radc5
Aspirant
Aspirant

I really appreciate your help.  I removed 2 of the cameras and no motion on the remaining 4.

I really do not understand how this is supposed to work.  Could it be the types of the remaining cameras?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Radc5 wrote:

I removed 2 of the cameras and no motion on the remaining 4.

Can you make a manual recording while livestreaming the Pro 2 cameras?

Radc5
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes I can manually record using the Pro 2 cameras.  Saving to either the locally (usb on base station) or not locally which must be the cloud.

However, I cannot record with the doorbell camera.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Radc5 wrote:

Yes I can manually record using the Pro 2 cameras.  Saving to either the locally (usb on base station) or not locally which must be the cloud.

Not locally.  Manual recording only goes to the cloud.

Then the next step for the Pro 2 cameras is to check the rules for the cameras.  

If your app still shows "Library" then use this guide:

If you see "Dashboard" and "Feed", then use this one:

@Radc5 wrote:

However, I cannot record with the doorbell camera.

It needs a subscription, which you don't have.

Radc5
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for help.  I will read those.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation