Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 15 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
P1xellat3d
Tutor
Tutor

Posting this here because there are no other ways for non-subscription plan users to contact customer support (see https://kb.arlo.com/000062610). A little ridiculous, don't you think?

But anyway, that's beside the point. My real concerns are set out below:

I am surely not the only person to say that I am extremely disappointed that Arlo has chosen to discontinue this service. This was a primary selling point for many consumers like me, and heavily influenced my decision in purchasing these cameras in the first place.

There are clear markings on the packaging of the product that I purchased which says:

On the back of the box - "Arlo Pro 2 comes with 7 days of free cloud recordings without a contract or a monthly fee"

On the side of the box - "EVERY ANGLE COVERED - With rolling 7 days of FREE Cloud Recordings"

On the front of the box - "FREE Cloud Recording"

I have uploaded pictures of my box packaging here as evidence: https://imgur.com/a/DfFhGat 

Having this feature removed after it was clearly advertised at the point of sale (not to mention existing shelf units which still have this text as of today) is a clear case of misleading and deceptive conduct.

It is not a case of infrastructure or technological limitations as reason behind this change, it is purely done to force users into a paid subscription plan (which magically allows access to that 7 days of recording and beyond).

Not only that, some of those that are being cut off from the 7 day plan don't have access to Direct Storage Access (i.e. the ability to plug in a USB and store recordings through the base station). Older base stations require you to remove the USB from the base station and plug it into a desktop computer for viewing, which completely defeats the purpose of having the smart phone app.

The way I see it, Arlo has one of three options:

1. For those customers who have purchased cameras or camera kits which are clearly labelled as having 7 days FREE recording included, provide an offer to enter into a grandfathered plan where they can continue to use that service;
  2. Provide customers with a newer model of the base station (VMB4540 or VMB5000) so that they can store and access recordings locally that are accessible via the smart phone app; or 
  3. Provide a full refund to all customers who have purchased a kit in reliance of the fact that it came with 7 days free cloud recording.

I am aware of some customers being offered and extension to their 7 day free cloud recording, however the offer appears only limited to residents in the US. For those outside of the US (e.g. Australia) we have no such offers available.

I look forward to hearing back from an Arlo representative.

Regards,

Kevin

Best answers
6 REPLIES 6
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

@P1xellat3d 

While you wait take a look at the arlo AU website that suggests the offer is for Valued Australian customers.

This specifically identifies only the first EOL camera batch for the upgrade offer. 

https://www.arlo.com/en-au/eol-offer-form.html 

Btw, there is a merged thread that this post will be shortly moved into so you can read what other customers have already said.

P1xellat3d
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you. I had a look at the EOL offer and it looks to be for the cameras that are EOL the soonest (i.e. 1 April - which is the Arlo Pro 1).

I've got the Pro 2 which is EOL at the end of the year. Perhaps their plan is to provide the EOL offer as devices approach EOL, but even the solution is a paid solution. 

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Yes agree that it not a free solution to the arlo EOL policy.

What I see is the confusion around arlo documentation, some say US customers only and then on their Australian website say Australian customers.

I have pro2 cameras and am not entitled to an offer using the form. So how do I go forward with arlo if I  cannot trust what they say. May as well talk to a wall.

davidt100
Initiate
Initiate

I'm with you Brother! this makes me so mad! And the fact that I can't contact customer service without a PAID subscription really says a lot for this company.  I am really done with this company because of their deceit and false claims.  I will never do business with them again unless they do the right thing and either reinstate the 7-day FREE service I had for years.  Or give some sort of concession on the subscription price.    But really, they have made the system obsolete, if I'm going to buy a new system I'm certainly not going to buy from them.  I really hope someone starts a class action against them because they would lose a lot of money!

I'm in the US but there is no way for me to get an extension on my subscription because I can not contact them!!!

TerryHoss
Apprentice
Apprentice

If I'm reading this offer correctly, I'm being offered a discount on a new camera system or a discount on a subscription for cloud storage. If they can still technically offer cloud storage for a fee it sounds like they are admitting they are breaching the original contract for free cloud storage for the legacy customer. I’m thinking Arlo will lose a lawsuit pdq if this information is correct.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

New, updated information is now available regarding the EoL policy. These changes will allow Arlo legacy users who currently have 7-day storage service to continue receiving that service, uninterrupted.

I encourage you to visit https://downloads.arlo.com/images/PDFs/EOL_Policy/arlo-end-of-life-policy-021023.pdf and read up on these changes.

Thank you,

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 15 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation