Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
paulinde
Tutor
Tutor

Has it ever been determined why the hubs (VMB4000) keep dropping internet.  I have tried, over the last few years different hotspots, including an LTE modem, which I currently use in place of a hotspot, and they randomly keep dropping internet.  After a few minutes they will re attach.  I have tried two hubs concurrently on the same wifi and they will both randomly drop internet.  It is interesting that there are never any issues with other wifi devices ie thermostat, Annke DVR, laptops, TV.  Whether other devices are active or not has no effect on the Arlo issue. Would be interested to know if the new smart hubs exhibit the same issues. 

Paul
7 REPLIES 7
pjama
Luminary
Luminary

I have 4xArlo Pros, 2xArlo Pro2s and a VMB4000 connected using 4g on a Netgear M1 and it's working just fine. I can stream all 6 cameras at once which according to my router says is uploading nearly 0.6MB/s (~4.8mbps).

According to my speed monitor, my download speed is all over the place but usually between 30 and 80mbps and upload is a bit more stable but between 4.5 to 12mbps. Latency is around 25ms and jitter (not even sure what that is. delta of fastest and slowest of a series of pings?) is 7ish ms. Packet loss is consistently at 0% which I think is the important factor as long as you have >4mbps upload.

Hot spotting through my phone seemed to be throttled and was nowhere near as good as the M1 and a usb 4g stick was bordering on pathetic in comparison.

Ultras would also send a lot more data than the pros so that might be a factor.

Hope this helps

paulinde
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the response. My issue is not associated with streaming speed as it happens when there is no streaming. I have at first used a Netgear Aircard, currently a Netgear 4G LTE modem.  The hubs keep dropping internet, at the same time everything else (if in use at the time) work fine. Have never had any other device (TV, computer, thermostat) have an issue which pointed me to a hub issue. My next step was going to update to a newer hub, but possibly I'll give the M1 a try first.

Paul
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Note that the M1 is NOT supported and hasn't received any Arlo updates for quite some time. I suspect the latest firmware has removed any Arlo support, too.

paulinde
Tutor
Tutor

I believe we are talking about a different M1. We were referring to the Netgear Nighthawk M1.

Paul
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@paulinde wrote:

I believe we are talking about a different M1. We were referring to the Netgear Nighthawk M1.

@jguerdat was thinking about the Nighthawk M1. 

Shortly before Netgear divested Arlo, they integrated Arlo Base Station functionality into the M1.  That is really old now.  I doubt the M1 still has that functionality in the current firmware - if it does, I don't think you should use it.

Back on topic, I have connected a VMB5000 to a Nokia mobile router (trying out T-mobile's broadband offering), and it worked fine.  That was a while ago though. 

pjama
Luminary
Luminary

Just to clarify, I was indeed talking about the Netgear Nighthawk M1 but only as an LTE internet connection. I have my my Arlo base station plugged into my LAN and the LAN using the M1 for internet access. I was just pointing out that my LTE connectivity seems ok.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@pjama wrote:

Just to clarify, I was indeed talking about the Netgear Nighthawk M1 but only as an LTE internet connection. I have my my Arlo base station plugged into my LAN and the LAN using the M1 for internet access. I was just pointing out that my LTE connectivity seems ok.

Thanks.  That's similar to my own experience when I tested the VMB5000 with T-mobile's 5G router.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation