Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
MelSF
Apprentice
Apprentice

So... two of my arlo pro 2 cameras are outside not sheltered, and after rain storm will not charge! They are plugged into AC. The camera works off the battery, but not AC. Even when I take the battery out, the camera doesn't power up from the AC!!

My cameras that are sheltered from the rain work fine. Arlo pro 2 is supposed to be weather proof, but based on my experience, that doesn't seem to be the case.

16 REPLIES 16
Streak2
Master Master
Master

Are they plugged into AC while outside or are you saying that after being outside, when you plug them into AC to charge then they wont charge or run off AC?

What power supply are you using?

All my Arlo's are outside and I don't have this problem when I bring them in to charge.

MelSF
Apprentice
Apprentice

They are plugged into AC while outside, with the batteries inserted. 

I am using the Netgear power supply.

So... its the 4 camera bundle purchased from Best Buy. Two of the cameras are mounted outside, not sheltered. And the other two cameras are also outside but under a porch, so sheltered from rain.

Two cameras, (not sheltered) died the same day it rained !!! The black battery icon had no lightening bolt in them, indicating they were not charging! 

• Pulled batteries out, and back.
  • Changed batteries from one camera to another
  • changed powers supply and cables. 
  • Even hairdryered to eliminate moisture on insides.
  • Plugged into base

Nothing worked.... Anyway, went through all of this with customer service, and they were great!! sending me RMA for both cameras for replacement!

......BUT, this is very troubling, as they are supposed to be weather -proof!! and its not like only one of the cameras fritzed on a rainy day.... Both of them did!! When I get the replacements, I will put a silicon seal around the usb port on the back of the cameras.

Thanks for responding !

brh
Master
Master

@MelSF

You might want to look into making some sort of enclosure for the cameras, although silicone will probably work. Arlo did recall their Accessory outdoor power pack, but I am not sure if the ones that come with the cameras are any better weather proof wise.

Brian

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Great that Netgear have been so generous to send you replacements when these cameras have been damaged due to user error. There is currently no official way to use AC power outdoors. The cables for charging or AC power are only for indoors and are far from water-resistant. Have a read through the online user manual. Have a read of the pinned thread about the recall of the Arlo Pro (2) outdoor power adapter
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Announcements/NETGEAR-voluntarily-recalls-VMA4700-Outdoor-Power-Ada...

And please know that any AC power you're doing for an outdoor Arlo Pro (2) camera currently will not/should not be covered by any warranty and you do so at your own risk. 

brh
Master
Master

@steve_t

There is a little confusion here. I originally wrote essentially the same thing as you, but modified my post after reading the article. The article only states that the accessory outdoor power adapter had been recalled, and I am not sure if the manual says that the ones that come with the cameras are only rated for indoors, (I'll have to go back and read my user's manual).  Anyway, good ending for the OP and hopefully the operator error will not be repeated.

Brian

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

OUTDOOR ac supplies were recalled...

Indoor ac supplies are NOT waterproof and SHOULD NOT be used outdoors

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
MelSF
Apprentice
Apprentice

Brian..... thanks for your response. The recall states its the after-market power adapter, as it relates to "fire-hazard"!

...........  "User Error"? How so?  How can it be user error when you follow the instructions that come with a product? Its not user error, it is a defective design flaw in the product! And on that basis should be recalled and taken off the market, as it is known defect!

The adapters I used are the ones that came packaged with the cameras (not after market). Also..... although the cameras were outside, the actual power adapters were plugged in inside my house with no exterior exposure. The only part of the power cable that had exposure to the rain, is where the micro-USB plugs into the back of the camera.

brh
Master
Master

@MelSF

I was actually trying to defend you, since Arlo talks so much about the advantages of using AC to have constant power to these cameras. In other words, how were you to know that these power adapter/cables were  only intended for indoor use? I wouldn't have known this. I am very happy that Arlo is replacing the cameras, but now you know not to use these that way again. Probably the water came in through the camera plug, but I am not sure that putting silicone will solve the problem as the cable is still not for outdoor use. Any way you can either move them temporarily to a safer place or use the Solar panels.

Brian

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

@MelSF wrote: 

...........  "User Error"? How so?  How can it be user error when you follow the instructions that come with a product? Its not user error, it is a defective design flaw in the product! And on that basis should be recalled and taken off the market, as it is known defect!

The adapters I used are the ones that came packaged with the cameras (not after market). Also..... although the cameras were outside, the actual power adapters were plugged in inside my house with no exterior exposure. The only part of the power cable that had exposure to the rain, is where the micro-USB plugs into the back of the camera.

It's user error because you in fact did not follow the instructions that came with the product.  The Quick Start Guide that comes in the Pro 2 box reads, "To use your camera plugged in:  Place the camera indoors or use the optional outdoor power adapter, sold separately, when placing outdoors."

Calling the product defective and suggesting it should be recalled because you didn't read or understand the instructions is just silly.

MelSF
Apprentice
Apprentice

.................. "To use your camera plugged in:  Place the camera indoors or use the optional outdoor power adapter, sold separately, when placing outdoors."

Ohhh.... I see, you mean use the optional outdoor power adapter that is sold separately, when placing camera outdoors??  Isn't that the one that got "recalled" because it is a defective flawed product? 

Now thats an interesting concept... Advertised as an "outdoor camera" that can run off either a battery or powered to AC. Hmmm.... sounds like false advertising?

Have a nice day...

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

As a PS.... the outdoor ac adapter has build in o-rings to prevent water intrusion.

The indoor version does not and will allow water into the usb port ( damaging same )

Morse is faster than texting!
blackladyJV
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, how do you get 4 power adaptor and 4 power cables for the 4 cameras?  Their bundle sold 4 cameras but only withe 1 power adapter/cable.  I asked the support and they said they don't sell just the cable/adaptor only, I need to buy the extra battery to get 1 extra power cable/adaptor.  So to have all 4 cameras plugged in, then I will need to buy 3 extra batteries set to have 7 batteries in order to have 4 sets of cables?

Or can the camera plugged in by other 3rd party cable/adaptor?  If yes, which one?

thanks in advance!

brh
Master
Master

@blackladyJV

Since I am not using any of my cameras to be plugged into continuous AC power, I can not recommend a brand, but I will tell you what you are looking for. You need a dual voltage, (9 volt and 5 volt) Qualcom type power adaptor. Search Amazon for a reputable device and read theit reviews. Or read more posts in the Idea Exchange part of this site to see what others are doing.

Please be aware, though I would not use any of these outdoors as moisture can get inside the cameras and ruin the camera and possibly be a fire hazard and that even indoors these are not recommend or authorized by Arlo.

Yes, it is very poor that Arlo is not selling these cables or authorizing another manufacturer's products. Plus, it has taken way too long for them to replace their recalled outdoor power adapters and cables. This is not good for Arlo's reputation or sales.

Brian

blackladyJV
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks Brian. I have not bought the set yet but planning to very soon.

Without the outdoor power adaptor, then we cannot utilize the plugged in features such as 3 sec lookback or zoom in the activity zone or CVR. Generally we use the cameras for outdoor so that makes all those features only indoor then. My front and backyard has cover so I am thinking to plug in for those 2 places as no rain will get to it but with their 4 cameras set and only comes with 1 power cable/adaptor that needs to use for charging already and they don’t just sell the cable/adaptor, it is hard to do plug in without buying all the extra unnecessary battery set.

Besides the dual voltage adaptor, is the cable standard type? I have not purchased the set so have not looked at what type of cable interface it is.

Thanks again!

Joyce
brh
Master
Master

@blackladyJV

The cable will have the standard USB plug on one end and a male Micro USB plug on the other.

As I said, someone recently posted a good one to use. I would be leary of the Wassersteine products.

Brian

brh
Master
Master

@blackladyJV

Check out the Idea Exchange on this site for Longer charging cables. The solar panel cables are different as they use male Micro USB plugs on bot ends. Be aware of this when you are reading the posts. Are they talking about the solar panel cables in their posts or the outdoor chaarging cables. As I said the outdoor charging cables will have a regular USB plug on on end, (the same type as you woulld plug into your computer) and a micro USB plug on the other that will fit into the camera.

Should you decide to purchase some of these cables, even though they will be protected from the weather, it would still be a good idea once you have plugged the cable the camera,to pit some silicone around the camera plug as moisture can still get in. You also might want to purchase some shrink tubing to protect the charger.  It is a rubber cylinder that shrinks by using a blow dryer on it.

Brian

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation