Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
grahamam107
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can anyone tell me where I can buy a QC 2 or 3 charger and cable for a arlo pro 2 camera?  I have read all the posts on the community about chargers andhave bought several chargers claiming to be QC 3 but they will not charge my camera.  I can charge the camera with a cable and charger that came with another camera I purchased, but need another charger.  

I am not after generic advice like go to Jaycar or read the arlo community articles.  I have already done that.  I need a specific brand and model of charger that is proven to work.

Thanking all in anticipation.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

Any phone charger that supports both 5V as well as 9V outputs should work. Basically any phone charger should work although I suppose some newer ones may have modes that aren't backwards compatible.

@grahamam107:  Many newer chargers are standard USB-C chargers, and only use USB power delivery.  This is NOT the same as Quick Charge (even though USB power delivery can also negotiate 9 volts).  And of course Apple chargers don't support Quick Charge, since it is a proprietary QualComm protocol.

The way to tell if a charger supports Quick Charge is to look for a lightning bolt on the charging port.  

Quick Charge 5 is backward compatible with all previous versions, so no need to look specifically for QC 2 or QC 3..

Another option is to purchase a standalone battery charger like the VMA44000C

There are much cheaper third-party ones out there if you look on Amazon.  Arlo doesn't recommend them, but it could be worth the gamble.  If you go with a third party one, make sure it says it is compatible with the Pro 2 - chargers designed for Pro 3/Pro 4/Pro 5/Ultra won't work.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Any phone charger that supports both 5V as well as 9V outputs should work. Basically any phone charger should work although I suppose some newer ones may have modes that aren't backwards compatible.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

@grahamam107:  Many newer chargers are standard USB-C chargers, and only use USB power delivery.  This is NOT the same as Quick Charge (even though USB power delivery can also negotiate 9 volts).  And of course Apple chargers don't support Quick Charge, since it is a proprietary QualComm protocol.

The way to tell if a charger supports Quick Charge is to look for a lightning bolt on the charging port.  

Quick Charge 5 is backward compatible with all previous versions, so no need to look specifically for QC 2 or QC 3..

Another option is to purchase a standalone battery charger like the VMA44000C

There are much cheaper third-party ones out there if you look on Amazon.  Arlo doesn't recommend them, but it could be worth the gamble.  If you go with a third party one, make sure it says it is compatible with the Pro 2 - chargers designed for Pro 3/Pro 4/Pro 5/Ultra won't work.

grahamam107
Aspirant
Aspirant

The first QC3 charger I bought did not work.  I purchased a second one and it works.  Thanks for encouraging me to persist.

grahamam107
Aspirant
Aspirant

I don't believe this is good advice.  I have tried other non QC 5/9/12 volt chargers and they do not work.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@grahamam107 wrote:

I don't believe this is good advice. 

As I said above, there are USB chargers that deliver 9 volts but which do not support QuickCharge.   So @jguerdat's reply above isn't correct. 

If you are referring to my comment that QC 5 is backwards compatible: that information comes from Qualcomm.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Well, incomplete. I didn't realize there are non-QC chargers with >5v  outputs although that seems reasonable.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation