Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 In Conversation
pdizzle
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello - 

I want to use an Arlo Pro 2 camera plug-ed in all the time to unlock the additional features.  Do I need to keep a battery in the camera at all times?  Can I keep a battery at all times while plugged in?  What is the best practice?  Also what type of adapter does it need - does it need a qualcomm quick charge power adapter?  

Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
Babsaroo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sorry this is not an answer to your question...but  I have the same question. I just bought a Pro 2 system at Best Buy. I was nervous to drop the cash because of the problems some of you have been experiencing that have not been addressed, but I did it any way because the 4 camera pack is $100 off this week. My cameras seem to be working well so I will keep them. I would like the look back period so I need to plug in. My question..(finally, LOL) is: do I need have the power adapter with Qualcomm Quick Charge function, or can I just buy the Wasserstein cable, and use one of my own usb plugs? Although the cameras will be outside, I will run the cord thru the wall so that they will actually be plugged to a socket inside. Because it will be plugged in all the time, do I need the expensive quick charge plug function? Does that make the connection or the notifications come any quicker than a regular usb plug?? Thanks in advance for your answer!

pdizzle
Aspirant
Aspirant

I also bought the 4 pack at best Buy - just to clarify, I only received a USB cable but no power adapter.  I am not sure how they expect us to charge the batteries without a power adapter - is this what was in your box too?

Babsaroo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, I had 1 Usb cable (pretty short) and 1 power supply included.

Babsaroo
Aspirant
Aspirant

I know this may sound stupid, but go thru your packaging again. There were a few little boxes and some little nooks and crannies that things are tucked in. Also, like items were not packaged together. That plug was in a totally separate box within a box. Good luck!

Streak2
Master Master
Master

pdizzle wrote:

Hello - 

I want to use an Arlo Pro 2 camera plug-ed in all the time to unlock the additional features.  Do I need to keep a battery in the camera at all times?  Can I keep a battery at all times while plugged in?  What is the best practice?  Also what type of adapter does it need - does it need a qualcomm quick charge power adapter?  

Thanks!

The battery does not need to be in while running on external power but will come to no harm if it is left in.

Best is to use the original supplied charger to run the cameras.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Do I need to keep a battery in the camera at all times? 

No...if on ac, you can pull the battery if desired

Can I keep a battery at all times while plugged in? 

Yes you can , it will not be overcharged if left in

What is the best practice? 

many leave the battery in in case of power loss

does it need a qualcomm quick charge power adapter?  

Yes it does.... the camera requires 5v at 1.5a+ to run but it WILL NOT charge the battery unles the Netgear adapter ( qualcom type ) is used as it supllies 9v to charge the pack  ( dual voltage output adapter )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Tutor
Tutor

I have another question on the same subject.  I am currently using two cameras on my porch area.  One, I plugged into an outlet, using an extension cord and the charger that came with the caneras.  But, the battery doesn't stay charged near 100%.  It's draining like the unplugged (battery only) camera.  So, what am I doing incorrectly??

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Plug the charger into the other camera to verify it's working.

Tutor
Tutor

And if both don't work, it's the charger?

the charger worked when setting up all of my cameras.

meaning....it charged the batteries.

I will check it when I get home from an extended trip.  

Thus, the reason for using the outlet power source.

thanks for your input.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Plug a desk lamp into the outlet to ensure the outlet has power

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 In Conversation