Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary
This was an old problem that seemed to have been fixed but has been a problem again for a while. I just haven't had time to post.

In the Arlo app, the static picture for each camera is some random old picture. For example, it could be from 5 days ago, 20 h etc. Sometimes it just shows a black screen.

When it was working properly, it was a snapshot from the last video recorded or last live view. That way, you have a sense of what's going on in the area without having to do a live view.

Anyone else been having this problem with the app?

I am on Android devices, with Pro 2, Arlo Q, and Arlo Baby cameras. It's an issue with all my cameras.
66 REPLIES 66
tibert
Star
Star

My Pro and Pro 2 cameras with my old base station (VMB4000r3) was working properly again as of a month or two ago.  However, the mix of Pro and Pro 2 cameras for my wife's newer base station (VMB4500r2) had the problem up until checking it now (the problem persisted even after a complete reset several weeks ago of all the assigned cameras to address a battery drain issue due to a bad software update).  Seems like everything is reporting correctly now (1/7/2023) across both of our base stations with regards to the last thumbnail and timestamp.  Thank you.  Hopefully it stays that way on your developers next rollouts!

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

My app still showing blank screens. If this indeed been resolved it isn’t a global fix.

Strange that if the fix is for the main customer base it was post the EOL policy update.

HazzMatt
Apprentice
Apprentice

The particular issue in this thread was for old thumbnails showing the most recent activity.  It started in late April early May after a base firmware or Arlo server update.  Of all the issues Arlo caused, I think this one was #1 as far has how long it took Arlo to acknowledge and fix it.

Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary

Glad to hear that there is improvement for some people.

After the last Android update, things seemed to be better for my cameras. However, it didn't improve across all devices for me.

Arlo Q: In app, so far, they all seem to be showing and holding last image. I will need to monitor to see if they change to black screens like the Pro 2s.

Pro 2: At first, the app seemed to show the last images. However, after a few days, all except one change to a black screen instead of an image. Not sure why.

Arlo Baby: Some seem to show the last image, but most of them are showing images from over 30 days ago. There is no consistency as to why some show the last image and some don't. For example, there are a couple Arlo Baby cameras I can't seem to get to update to the latest firmware. But yet, one of the Arlo Baby cameras with the older firmware is showing the latest image. 

On a related note, I just saw the End of Life Policy update and am quite bummed that officially, all my Arlo equipment will be unsupported and obsolete as of 2024, just a couple years after I purchased all my Arlo equipment. I think Arlo has really great hardware (better than most brands including Ring), and I preferred the app design and layout in the beginning. I invested a lot of money (and time) in Arlo hardware but not sure what I will do going forward, particularly with the new Arlo devices requiring expensive monthly/yearly fees in order to use. I prefer Arlo hardware because devices have both battery and wired capabilities so that they battery can be a backup, and my older Arlo equipment had superior connectivity and modern appearance. However, with Ring, there is at least one flat yearly rate that allows unlimited devices.

Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary

Updating to add that I am taking back all the nice things I said about Arlo in the last post. As I just realized that the End of Life (EOL) "Plan" means that Arlo would cease the 7-day free storage, which was a key reason that I bought 15 expensive Arlo cameras that are only 3-5 years old. Had I known that Arlo would have reneged on this, I would have considered more carefully other camera and security eco-systems. I definitely would NOT have bought 5 additional Arlo cameras at the beginning of 2020.

Zzzzzzzzzz2
Aspirant
Aspirant

After more observation, all my Pro 2 screen shots turn black within less than a day after the most recent activity. I would prefer an very old image to a black screen. So, it isn't fixed for all Pro 2s and seems to have gotten worse.

@Zzzzzzzzzz 

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

It is possible that it’s been resolved for 30day cloud storage subscription users, i’m on 7days legacy without subscription and I still get old thumbnails. I guess this is what arlo means when they say EOL no more updates.

Casangela23
Aspirant
Aspirant

I to am.having the same issue as everyone else. apps not updating current feeds. showing feeds from.previlus days and not recording slund altho all settings are on and correct. Been an arlo customer for years and im.almost done here. customer service is no help either 

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

@Casangela23 ,

Is the camera microphone turned on in the camera settings page? Will it start working if you toggle the setting, also pull the battery for 10sec to reset.

Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary

@JamesC 

Any update on this issue? My Pro 2s are still showing black screens on the home screen. 

Thanks!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Zzzzzzzzzz,

Consider removing the camera and resyncing. Do you still see the same behavior?

JamesC

Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary

@JamesC 

Yes, the black thumbnails in the app are still happening with all my Pro 2s.

And with the last app update a few weeks (months?), my Arlo Q's and Babies have reverted back to black thumbails as well. They were showing last pictures for a while there but no longer.

Also, the last app update has made loading the cameras and the library notably slower. There is also a notable lag now loading up cameras and libary. Sometimes, the app will show that I have no cameras or no videos (neither of which are true), and I have to close the app and restart. 

Thanks.

Vitvayda
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have four Ultras, one of them reads old static picture several days ago, trips on motion but never stores anything to the library. Reset battery, removed and then connected device - same thing. Is there a sense to call Techsupport?

ITNinja1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Sadly support has done nothing but waste my time. 9 times out of 10, if reboots, updates, and resyncs don't resolve the issue it's likely a bug and you are going to be waiting to see if and when they fix it... Which they won't tell you, it will just magically start working.

Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary

@Vitvayda 

I had kind of assumed that it was because I only have legacy cameras. But if it's happening to your Ultras, then that indicates that it's a widespread issue. Also gives me more pause regarding upgrading my legacy cameras to newer Arlo cameras at some point if the app issues contine and possibly worsen.

@JamesC      @ShayneS    My Android app still continues to give me all black thumbnails. Any updates on this ongoing issue? Thanks.

Robbsnj
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have had this problem for a month at this point. Still shows a couch as my thumbnail from when I set the camera up… this is among MANY problems I have with my 2 cameras. 

Ljerrett
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have been having that problem for months with my  Pro Floodlight camera. All the other cameras (2 Q's and a doorbell) have an undated static photo on the devices page but the Floodlight,  which happens to be a newer camera, does not update. I have it hardwired with a outdoor charging cable but previously had a solar charger and previous to that had just the battery powering it so I don't think the power source is of any relevance. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app. I think I even hit the reset butter.  Nothing fixes it. I always hav to hit play to get it to update, otherwise, I'm viewing a picture from 5 days ago insted of one of the 100 more recent photos.

Discussion stats