Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary

I just did the latest November 21 update for the Arlo Android app. After I did the update, the app popped up with a notification that said it needed new permissions and would need to push out notifications to my phone. I thought that was fine because that's the way it's always been, but I've never seen this notification come from the app. The next thing that popped up was that it was asking for permission to make phone calls, which I denied because I don't want Arlo to make phone calls for me. I only have the basic. I was told  that with the Premium plan, the app can call 911. Nevertheless, the only permissions I've ever given Arlo is for notifications, and it worked just fine before.

After a bit of troubleshooting, it's very clear that denying the Arlo app the ability to make phone calls breaks the app. I can get into the Mode screen, but then the app does not allow me to do anything further. That means I can't arm or disarm cameras. I can't set up zones; I can't do scheduling; I can't do anything that I would need to do through the Mode screen. This is true for both Arlo Q and Pro 2 cameras on my app.

I did call customer support, and he took notes, gave me case #, and said someone would get back to me. So if you are having the same problems please call them and let them know....

456 REPLIES 456
VBISHOP51
Aspirant
Aspirant

App will not open since last update. I have 400 dollars worth of equipment that I can't look at!

Randy4s
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same problem with my Samsung-SM-J727V. Says either "Arlo has stopped" or "Arlo keeps stopping". Works fine on the desktop.

Marty33
Aspirant
Aspirant

When I try to open the arlo app from my phone, I get a message that says ,,,,,arlo has stopped.  Works on my kindle. Tried uninstall app and restart phone several times

NeverBetter
Aspirant
Aspirant

Agreed! After the last update the app freezes.

Taxnfools
Initiate
Initiate
Yep, Galaxy S8 with Arlo Pro cams. Crashes everytime I make or receive a call after this latest update. Perfect time to roll out an untested update right before people receive cameras as a Xmas gift. Hopefully a new update comes out soon or these are going right back to Costco.
bdonnelly109
Tutor
Tutor

I called Arlo/Netgear...the Tech said they're aware of situation and have a few requests since yesterday.  I told him this has been going on for 2-days.

End result:  "we should have this fixed within 2-3 days and you should receive an email letting you know we think we have a resolution."

Great...but what do I do for the next 48-72 hours?  Guess I'll just stay home...

Jmos26
Aspirant
Aspirant
App wont open since update 11/20. Just crashes immediately. Have uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times. Everything had been fine for the last 2 yrs until this update. I don't get it
mwalt
Aspirant
Aspirant

I also have the Samsung J7 and am having the same problem..  I did a search and found previous versions of the Arlo software at this site - https://apkpure.com/arlo/com.netgear.android/versions 

Your phone must be set up to install software from 3rd party sources.

I turned off my auto update in the Play Store to make sure the bad version doesn't get installed again.

DP2018
Tutor
Tutor

App stopped working after new version was installed, after hours and hours of research someone was able to get it working by reinstalling previous vresion 2.6.2-22800,      this worked for us .!!

DP2018
Tutor
Tutor
Arlo Stopped Working" message on Samsung Phone App

App stopped working after new version was installed, after hours and hours of research someone was able to get it working by reinstalling previous vresion 2.6.2-22800,      this worked for us .!!

peebs
Guide
Guide

In Sept 2018 I bought 5 Arlo Pro cameras for $500.00. The cameras and the Arlo app 2.4.4_17405 (the one with the green and white bird icon) worked fine. No problems.

Stupid me, I had auto updates checked in Google Play on my phone and one dark day in late October2018 Arlo updated my perfectly working app to the "new" and "improved" (blue and green bird icon) app that took away the battery icon, the running man icon (to show if the cameras are armed and when motion is detected), the wifi icon, and the ear icon on the main screen. The "new" and "improved" app now required one to click the gear button to access the icons (although the running man icon had disappeared all together). Okey, dokey nothing like taking a step backwards. But hey, I put up with it for a month, as I figured I can't change the world and I might as well flow with the "new" and "improved" functionality of the app (or should I say  "disfunctionality").

Come yesterday, I downloaded yet another "upgrade" to the Arlo app which supposedly put the icons back on the main page. I figured one can dream, eh?

Version 2.6.3_23000 available this past week for Android is total crap. There I said it. After installing the update, the app required me to allow it access to my phone to make phone calls. Well silly me, I clicked DENY as I receive notifications via email and I don't have the need for Arlo to access my phone to call E911 or whatever else they have up their sleeves. Wait a minute? Now I can't change the mode on my cameras. I can no longer arm and disarm my cameras at will. Hmmmm. Arlo took away that option because I selected DENY on Arlo accessing my phone to make calls. No where does it say on the app that if you select DENY your arm/disarm mode options will be disabled, I figured that out from other people who are complaining online about the newest and greatest Arlo upgrade.

Oh, but I should be happy the icons are back on the main screen right? Thank God for small favors. So, now I cannot arm my cameras from my phone unless I allow the Arlo app access to my phone to make phpne calls. Umm...not going to happen. BTW, bring back the running man icon which turned to black when I armed the cameras. That was useful, so I could quickly know my cameras were armed without having to go into the mode subscreen. Also, bring back the stop button (for live viewing) on the main screen and place it down by the other icons. Having to click 3 times in the middle of the video screen to stop the playing of live video is irritating and a step backwards.

Well at least I don't have the "Arlo update is locking up my phone" problems like others are expereincing.

Really, the company that owns Arlo, is totally clueless. I am amazed the app could take such a step back. Is it complete incompetence on the Arlo programmers/engineering staff or are the Arlo managers purposely trying to sink this company? I tell everyone I know NOT to buy Arlo products.

I have uninstalled the Nov 2018 Arlo app update for Android and I have reinstalled the old  2.4.4_17405 (the one with the green and white bird icon). I always back up my apk files, because companies are notorious for breaking apps with updates. I am sure Arlo will find a way to make the old versions not work anymore, if that happens the cameras go into the trash. $500 down the drain. Not that the people working at Arlo care, as you can tell by their silence.

budkirby
Initiate
Initiate
I have the same problem on my Samsung phone. How can I get back the previous version?
Buzz2001
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same happening for me on 2.6.2 app version
Chrischavez74
Guide
Guide
What’s the fix? After the update my app crashes for my home & business cameras. I haven’t been able to check for the last 2 days. So annoying
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

As I've been posting in the myriad of similar threads, it only happens on some devices. I have 3 and it only happens on 1. Open a case with support here to add pressure.

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

You can also try a different device and/or use a browser.

TOOMUCHSTUFF
Guide
Guide

Ever since the latest ARLO APP update (Version 2.6.3_23000), when I go from the Devices or Library screen to the Mode screen, it will show the status (armed or disarmed), but it won't let us open the screen to arm or disarm the Home Base.  Only once in a while does it work as it should.  Didn't notice the problem until Thanksgiving day.

We have the same problem with the app on both mine and my wifes phones.  Both are LG G6 android version 8.0.0 phones. 

I haven't called in a trouble report yet, but probably will the first of the week if it hasn't been resolved.

Seems like every time there is an update, all kind of problems arise.  As someone else said, I think they hire railroad engineers instead of software engineers.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Many existing threads on this. It only happens on some devices. I have 3 and it only happens on 1. Open a case with support here to add pressure.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Many existing threads on this. It only happens on some devices. I have 3 and it only happens on 1. Open a case with support here to add pressure.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Justfixit
Initiate
Initiate

On Nov 21, 2018 the Arlo app on my Samsung phone came up with an error message:  "Arlo has stopped".  Since then up to present (Nov 24, 2018) I cannot access my Arlo account using the app on my phone.  There is  o explanantion on why it "stopped" nor have I received and email from Netgear informing me of this problem.  This is totally frustrating where Netgear/Arlo relies on "the Community", we, the consumers and end-users to try to fix the problem by shaing our horror stories and bad experiences with Netgear/Arlo.  I just purchased another set of Arl Pro cameras in addition to the 5 original Arlo cameras I already have, but may return them for a refund if this "Arlo has stopped" problem is not resolved.  We rely on the cameras for security and problems like this that are not fixed immediately leaves us all feeling very insecure and questioning the integrity of the company that makes them.  Please fix the problem ASAP.

Garyheat
Initiate
Initiate

I have the exact same problem I have sent feedback alright, can't get in contact with Arlo , UNBELIEVABLE

dan2525
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo App. on my Samsung stopped working today the 24th of Nov. also only on my Sasung and not my LG. I had to email support to get an idea what was going on.need this need that. No you need nothing from me its your issue and you need to fix the problem and to communicate the situation with the Community about the issues.

Traithnin
Star
Star
Thanks for the warning, I'm also back with the green / white version, and on the basis of this comment will stick with it. Unbelievable, not being able to use the phone, should in NO WAY stop any other function working. It's so annoying when apps suddenly demand unnecessary privileges or fail to work if not granted. What corporate nonsense about how all the op's points are an improvement are arlo going to come up with this time @JamesC ?