Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Smart Person/Animal/Vehicle Detection for SmartThings, IFTTT, Google Assistant, Alexa, etc.

One of the purposes of the Arlo Smart person detection is to filter out unwanted motion from trees and shadows to elimate many uwanted notifications.  This feature has worked well for me, but is missing the integration with my SmartThings hub and IFTTT.  I would like the same notification rules to follow through to my home automation products.  Right now I get only the person detection notifications I want, but any motion triggers events for home automation.  Please let me know how to integrate the new Arlo Smart features with your home automation partners.  As this is a premium/paid service, I hope this option will be available soon.

Comments
jensolson
Fledgling

I paid for the premium service so that I could add person detection, but was very dissapointed to find that it only filters notifications, and triggers are still sent to IFTTT or a hub when something other than a person is detected.  I want to turn lights on when a person is detected in my backyard, but it seems that there is no way to do that.  The person detection really should filter all notifications and triggers.

walmzd
Aspirant

Did anyone get an answer on this question? Is there anyway to add person detection to the attributes when integrate with Smartthings or IFTTT automation

BSMO66
Initiate

I have not heard anything to suggest that Arlo has provided this integration yet - If there are only three of us interested it will probably not happen in a long while.

Jdl80
Initiate
I’m interested . I’ve wasted so much time trying to figure this out. Maybe there is a way to make the notification itself initiate the automation? I have only been messing around with ifttt for a half hour or so, and I’m not sure something like that would be possible. As far as I understand from reading around , the person determination is done in the cloud and the notification is generated there as well. I’m guessing ifttt can only use info generated locally and would have access to the notifications that get sent. If none of that makes sense it is because I don’t really even know what I’m talking about . I’m only about three steps ahead of my grandpa when it comes to using computers nowadays
Jdl80
Initiate
I’m interested . I’ve wasted so much time trying to figure this out. Maybe there is a way to make the notification itself initiate the automation? I have only been messing around with ifttt for a half hour or so, and I’m not sure something like that would be possible. As far as I understand from reading around , the person determination is done in the cloud and the notification is generated there as well. I’m guessing ifttt can only use info generated locally and would not have access to the notifications that get sent. If none of that makes sense it is because I don’t really even know what I’m talking about . I’m only about three steps ahead of my grandpa when it comes to using computers nowadays
mc346
Follower

Unbelievable Arlo still has not done this.

Who wants to be notified when a bird flies in front of the camera? It is person detection that we want! 

Arlo team wake up! Someone else will do it before you!

Same issue with triggering the siren in the base unit. At the moment it gets triggered with any movement. We want a siren to go off only when a person has entered my property! Not a car or a bird! Arlo team wake up

BSMO66
Initiate

It is hard to believe that it has been over a year and Arlo show no interest in practical integration with Third Party tools.  I am not sure anyone from Arlo has even seen this thread.  

Mavrrick
Luminary

Smartthings integration really needs to be updated. The new Smartthings platform would allow Arlo to effectivly bring all of the management in house and onto their internal platform. They really don't need to create anything crazy for the integration. It could be limited to something as simple as just creating a integration method for Smartthings to work with each hub device or ARLO Q camera to tell it what mode to run in. There could also be an option to allow the notifications to be set to Smartthings so that it can then relay them to the user if they prefer.

The big point of this suggestion/idea is to correct on one of the biggest pain points with the Arlo system with Smartthings. Arlo is great at managing the cameras, but it's integration with Smartthings is severally lacking when it comes to anything but using their cameras as simply motion sensors. 

The new smartthings platform essentially requires that the provider creates a web app that help manage the interactions for their integration. The new integration turns the Smartthings side into simply an event relay server. Arlo already has the web based infrastructure. So then it is simply creating the web app (endpoint) that will be the middle man between smartthings and the Arlo Cloud. That web app would be enabled to connect to smartthings, and then forward any changes needed to the arlo cloud or respond back to Smartthings with events for it to take. A new device integration would be needed for all of the hubs and Arlo Q Cameras that would include a mode parameter. Preferably I would also like to see device's build in the new integration that would also provide access to the new cameras and their additional features of course. 

Now keeping the existing ability to manage the camera settings from smartthings wouldn't be as needed if modes are integrated so that could probably get axed as long as they are controllable from the mode. From a backwards compatibilty it would probably be nice if they did though. The icing on the cake would be to enable a way for Smartthings to actually tell Arlo to start a recording based on it's own events. That isn't exactly fully needed though if Arlo modes integration works well.

LaLuSju
Aspirant

I second this request.

Please consider to prioritize.

I really dont want to have change any of my choosen platforms in my smarthome system due to lack of or week integration. 

RobMo150
Apprentice

The motion detection is pretty weak on the Arlo pro2.    If the wind blows a branch on the tree it records.   Lots of false alerts.   Making advanced features only work for a fee doesn't excite me.   It's like buying a car, but using reverse will cost 19.95 a month.    It's a security camera, it's job is to detect, record and alert.     Arlo needs to focus on building a strong core of features when includes integration to advertised partners like SmartThings.   Each release needs to be quality tested.   If Arlo is going to sunset models or features they need to declare it well in advance and offer upgrade solutions.    This will also us to time to consider if we will find alternate solutions or if it's worth upgrading.    Fixing broken existing functionality should always be a TOP priority.   Currently the security design is very fractured for anyone that relies on SmartThings to trigger recording due to the subpar motion detection of the cameras.      While new features are good, keeping existing features working is extremely important.   It's going into the 3rd month of waiting on a fix.  @ArloSmartHome