Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Go 2 not charging with Solar Panel

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
daviddlv
Aspirant
Aspirant

Last month we purchased a few Arlo Go 2 cameras for our rural land to monitor for trespassers. We also installed the solar panels. Everything was working fine until this week. Now the solar panels are not charging the cameras. Here is what happens.

We unplug the solar panel wire from the camera. Wait a few seconds, plug it back in. Icon on the app shows a lightning bolt thru on the battery. In direct sunlight the camera charges to 100% quickly. As the camera is used, the battery % depletes downward, but even in full sunlight the battery never charges. We have to kick start the charging by unplugging the solar panel wire and plugging it back in. But after the battery reaches 100% it starts draining from use and does not charge.

This is happening on all 5 of our cameras. Some of the cameras are 30' high. I don't want to crawl up there every week to unplug a wire.

What can we do to fix this? It's very annoying.

13 REPLIES 13
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

When discharging does the lightning bolt still show on the battery icon?

I'd suggest using Settings, Support to select your camera model and scroll down to Contacts to talk to official support.

FranklinRT
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've discovered with the Go cameras, sometimes they need a good solid wall charging.  I have 2 with solar panels however when you notice the percentage starts to dip down below 80 this is a sign to unplug from panel, bring inside and let it get a good solid charge.  Usually this corrects the issue, if not it could be a solar panel issue, if not it could be a firmware issue.  I would try the solid charge first.

daviddlv
Aspirant
Aspirant

The only time the lighting bolt icon is visible is when I re=plug in the solar panel. It hits 100% then I never see that icon again. It's doing the same thing on all 5 new Go 2 cams I bought.

daviddlv
Aspirant
Aspirant

These are 5 new Go 2 cams and 5 new solar panels. All doing the same thing. I had them wall charged for 24hrs out of the box. There is no way 5 cams and 5 solar panels are bad. The firmware is the latest.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Please reach out to the Support Team to further investigate this issue you are experiencing. You can find several options for contacting support though the Arlo Mobile App by navigating to Settings/System/Support.

Citrogal
Aspirant
Aspirant

I was coming on here to find a solution for the same issue. We farm and have 8+ cameras mounted at extremely dangerous heights to be up there every week or so trying to fix a connection or recharge a battery manually. The old camera plugs were awesome, these new magnetic plugs are making us CRAZY!! I'm ready to sell them all and go back to my game cameras. I can't catch anyone if the camera isn't staying charged. At least the game camera gets me a photo...

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Citrogal 

Please reach out to the Support Team to further investigate this issue you are experiencing. You can find several options for contacting support through the Arlo Mobile App by navigating to Settings/System/Support.

RJHK
Aspirant
Aspirant

Why doesn’t support just outline the options on the chat chain? Getting support via your support channels is not easy, impossible when on a remote property owned by a family but the account was set up by my son who’s moved elsewhere for work. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @RJHK 

Thank you for the feedback. Were you able to get a hold of the support team? If you aren't in contact yet, I can connect you with the team.

Thanks 

RJHK
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks Shayne, no connection with support, just the chat bot which ends up leaving you in limbo! Meanwhile the Go 2 just runs down and I have to hope it retains juice till next time I get to the property and can charge it on the grid. One junk model has ruined the whole Arlo experience!

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@RJHK  I have escalated this for you and someone from Support will be reaching out to you as soon as possible.

LindaJ1965
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've been having the exact same issue ever since I bought and installed the Go 2 Camera with the Solar Panel about 2 or more years ago.  It rarely shows the charging lightning bolt and loses charge constantly.  It is mounted very high on a rural property so we have to use a Cherry Picker to get it down so we can charge the battery (which is not ideal).  The solar panel is in full sun.  Each time we get the camera down to charge it, we also give the solar panel a wipe and on some very rare occasions it charges for a short time only then stops again, so it doesn't seem to have anything to do with us giving it a wipe over, I think it's more to do with it being disconnected and then reconnected once the battery has been manually recharged.

We also have an Essentials Camera with a Solar Panel and have never had any issues with that one charging, and we've had that for much longer.  It seems like the Go 2 Solar Panels have a major issue, or perhaps there was a batch of faulty ones?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@LindaJ1965 

I provided this info to the support team and they will be reaching out to you as soon as possible. 

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation