Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Jnavagh
Aspirant
Aspirant

My Arlo Go 2 was able to charge from ~50% to 100% using an Arlo Solar panel when I initially got it. Once it reached 100% it did not charge  any more. It dropped to 90%. At that point I disconnected and reconnected the charging cable. The solar panel charged the camera back to 100%, but now it has stopped again.  How can I get the solar panel to continue charging without needing to disconnect and reconnect the cable?  The camera is 100 miles away from my home, so not convenient to deal with this every time the charge gets low (which is why I got the solar panel). I saw another post that was marked “solved “ for this same issue, but the resolution was to update firmware. I verified my camera has the latest firmware. 

9 REPLIES 9
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jnavagh,

The solar panel provides a slow, trickle charge as the camera battery depletes. It should continue charging after the camera battery drops below 100%.

JamesC

Jnavagh
Aspirant
Aspirant

@JamesC 

I understand it SHOULD continue charging after the camera battery drops below 100%. The issue is not it DOES NOT continue charging after the camera battery drops below 100%.

The only way to get it to resume charging is to disconnect and reconnect the charging cable, or to restart the camera. 

This is exactly the same issue that people with Arlo Pro 4 were having, documented in this post:

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Essential-Wire-Free-Cameras/Arlo-Essential-Solar-Panel-question/m...

The solution for the Arlo Pro 4 was a firmware update. The Arlo Go 2 needs the same firmware update. 

Jnavagh
Aspirant
Aspirant

@ShayneS 

You seemed to help the Arlo Pro 4 users when they had this issue. I am now seeing the same issue on the Arlo Go 2. Can you assist?

Thank you. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jnavagh,

The Arlo Pro 4 issue was a firmware related problem that was resolved through a firmware update. We've not had widespread complaints of a solar panel issue with Arlo Go 2 cameras.

I encourage you to reach out to the Arlo Support team to further investigate the issue you're experiencing with your Arlo Go 2 camera. You can find support contact options within your Arlo Secure mobile app under Settings > Support

JamesC

jonam_indus
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am still on trial. It seems that you do not publish your phone number. There seems no way to call you. Your app support just points to documentation and keeps saying the same things like "connect your camera" etc. 

jonam_indus
Aspirant
Aspirant

So I think I have the same problem as the other customer who posted. My camera is also about 115 miles away and I cannot afford to go there. Pretty soon it will be 3000 miles away as I am moving to the other side of country. I drove 115 miles yesterday just to check the camera cable. Then after reaching the destination I saw the cable was fine. I got this idea to restart the camera and that seemed to help. I saw the solar icon light up right after I restart the camera. But now today morning once again I see that we have good sunlight and the solar icon is missing. So I restarted it again remotely and I saw the solar icon again. This is impractical to restart all my cameras every single day. I think there is some bug that is crashing the camera and a restart seems to be helping.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@jonam_indus wrote:

I am still on trial. It seems that you do not publish your phone number. There seems no way to call you. Your app support just points to documentation and keeps saying the same things like "connect your camera" etc. 

Since you have a trial subscription, use Settings, Support (Center) to select your camera model. You should then get various options, including phone, to contact support.

Jnavagh
Aspirant
Aspirant

It seems that once the power level drops below a certain level, somewhere around 95%, the solar panel does kick in without me needing to restart the cameras or disconnect and reconnect the cable. So although it was worrisome when the solar panel was not charging, this issue seems to correct itself for my system. 

jonam_indus
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes the algo seems a bit complicated. But you are right it does kick in charging at some point. Once it went down all the way to 85% and then I couldn’t take a risk. I restarted the camera and the charging icon lit up right away.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation