Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

New Products/Any Geofence Improvements?

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
wldrns1
Guide
Guide

This is not a troubleshooting request. I had a year long ticket # 41307489 which is now closed. Geofence was erratic. Perfect occasionally but frequently untimely/took too long to switch modes. Especially annoying when returning home. I believe if the outer zone could be much larger, say 5 miles, that would allow time for communications to function properly. My wife & I have iPhones 11 and 12. System is Base VMB4540r2 and 5 cameras H8 per app. Everything checked out during ticket. I did numerous time/distance checks. All was communicated with L2 support. It was a long, dragged out affair ending with nothing could be done due to factors beyond Arlo's control.

So, have there been improvements in Geofence operation of new systems? If so, what was improved and how would same make Geofence work properly? Thank-You.

6 REPLIES 6
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

I have had success with the following workaround on iPhones.

when you leave home ensure all mobile devices for geofencing are plugged into a charger and same for returning.

If I do this then I receive the geofencing push notification 200m down the road, same for returning.

If I don’t have them on charge I can drive for an hour and still not get it to change. Returning the phone needs to access the wifi before it changes.

wldrns1
Guide
Guide

DBA, thanks for your Reply. If each vehicle had Qi chargers, I'd be willing to test your workaround. Unfortunately neither does. While I'd be willing to accommodate the system, my wife would be unlikely to...just one more thing to do that she shouldn't have to. I'd have to say I agree. Your workaround is very interesting. I'm surprised L2 never brought it up! You wrote 'I can drive for an hour and still not get it to change'. So true and frustrating!

I'm still interested in comments for NEW systems. Any improvements? Same issue? A functioning hands off Geofence feature would be cause to strongly consider an Arlo Upgrade. Anyone?

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

I use a plugin lighter QC charger, if you ride a Motorcycle or a push bike or jog you need to carry a power bank. it’s a workaround, arlo hasn’t been able to fix this at all.

An additional workaround is to log out of the arlo background app every 13days to refresh the app session expiry that stops geofencing from working and getting push notifications. Arlo hasn’t fixed this either.

Good luck on your quest.

wldrns1
Guide
Guide

DBA. I enjoy seeing you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about. During my Case, Arlo claimed they had heard few complaints. How could that be?

As for a fix, I'm surprised yet I'm not. This feature is why I bought the system years ago. Back then, it actually worked flawlessly!

Then something changed. You would think it would be corrected by now. I'm quite certain it could be made to work without having to do any more than proper setup. Just carry your phone and system is on Autopilot. That's what we all want.

Other than this Geofence problem. I have no complaints.

My money will stay in my pocket. 

wldrns1
Guide
Guide

DBA. Curious why plugging phone into charger seems to make GeoF feature work?

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

@wldrns1 

Not sure, arlo does not share any insight regarding their software.

I can only speculate that the geolocation thread is blocked within the app while the phone is not on charge. I suspect it was made to minimise processing power to increase phone battery life. Not an issue when plugged into external power.

Most people would not notice since they plug the phone into the car’s phone cradle as they leave home.

It gets more complicated when using multiple devices since you need multiple cradles or as for me using a car lighter charger for my partner when we both travel together.

For me it is chalk and cheese as I see this on a daily basis. I have the geofencing in/out push notifications enabled that lets me know when the status changes. If I don’t get the notification within 200m of home then I usually have to plug in the partners phone into the charger to get the notification.

The background app session expiry every 13 days is just another hindrance, it is mental to expect you remember to log out your background app every 13days to refresh your session to maintain geofencing and push notifications.

When it happens you don’t even get a warning, it’s as if the app shuts you down.