Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can arlo essential camera's actually record on VMB4000

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
rdpillow
Aspirant
Aspirant

So I bought new Arlo essential cameras, and was about to connect it to my existing arlo pro 2. My phone is getting alerts when there is movement however it's not recording on my VMB4000 base station. Can it record this way?

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rdpillow wrote:

So I bought new Arlo essential cameras, and was about to connect it to my existing arlo pro 2. My phone is getting alerts when there is movement however it's not recording on my VMB4000 base station. Can it record this way?

A camera has to be connected to a base to get local recording.  If you purchased a Gen 2 camera, then you must have connected it to your home wifi (and not the base).  Arlo hasn't added support for base stations yet.

Also, while the VMB4000 supports local recording, it does NOT support playback of those recordings.  All the recordings you see in the app (or my.arlo.com) are stored in the Arlo Cloud.  Your pro 2 cameras were sold with 7 days of free cloud storage - none of the current models (including the Essentials) are sold with that, and all need a subscription to get cloud storage.

The ONLY way to see local recordings with a VMB4000 is to eject the storage from the app, and then connect it to a PC.  Then look for the recordings with File Explorer (Windows) or Finder (Mac).

rdpillow
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the replies. I ended up returning the cameras, since they didn't do what I wanted them to do.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

HI @rdpillow 

Thank you for the feedback regarding your experience. Please let me know if you have any other questions and I will be happy to assist. 

Shayne