Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Camera not charging (VMC2032)

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Orangehead911
Tutor
Tutor

The micro-usb port on my camera doesn't work properly. In order to get it to charge I have to use a special USB cable that indicates when charging is occurring. I'm just waiting for the port to fail completely or my cable to break... 

Are there instructions anywhere on how to disassemble the camera so I can replace the micro-usb port or solder a lead onto the PCB for charging? 

6 REPLIES 6
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Orangehead911 wrote:

In order to get it to charge I have to use a special USB cable that indicates when charging is occurring.

What cable are you using???

Are you sure it is the port that is failing?  Seems odd that any cable would work if it was a bad port.

Orangehead911
Tutor
Tutor

It's a Futurizta universal 6-in-1 cable. Due to the charging indicator on one of the connectors I can tell when charge is going through. The camera and app are unreliable for that right as you're starting the charge.

In order to get this cable to charge I have to push the connector towards the back of the camera with a bit of force. If I let go it stops charging. This leads me to believe that the connector is not holding up very well and might fail completely in the near future.

I have had similar problems with my 3 other Essential XL cameras so it appears to me that the micro-usb connector in those cameras aren't very good. Due to this unreliability they are now all set up with a permanent charge cable to avoid not being able to charge them as they run out of charge.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Orangehead911 wrote:

In order to get this cable to charge I have to push the connector towards the back of the camera with a bit of force. If I let go it stops charging.

And the USB cable that came with the camera doesn't work at all?

Orangehead911
Tutor
Tutor

Unfortunately not. I can get the blue LED to blink when applying the same approach as describe above, however when I stop applying pressure the camera stops charging. I see this behaviour consistently regardless of the cable or charger I use.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Please contact support. Within the app on your mobile device click on the silhouette on the top left ~ support center ~ the device that you are needing assistance with then choose the issue.

Orangehead911
Tutor
Tutor

Will do. Thanks