Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
essej818
Tutor
Tutor

Ive used my arlo camera for a few months and it worked until 15 days ago when I looked on my app and the camera was not linked to my account anymore. It took me 15 days to get the time to climb my way up there to factory reset it.

It worked again for 2 hours until I got a notification on my phone that my camera received a factory reset signal.

It has been removed from my account again.

What or who is sending my camera a factory reset signal and how can I stop this. Nothing I search online is helpful or remotely relevant. Arlo support is completely useless.

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

Many of the cases that have been reported that result in the symptoms being discussed here include damaged or improperly seated charging cables/solar panels. Third-party accessories have also been known to result in the symptoms discussed in this thread. For those experiencing these symptoms after having ruled out a third party accessory or damaged charging cable/solar panel, I encourage you to reach out to Arlo Support to further investigate the issue. You can find Arlo Support contact options within the Arlo Secure mobile app under Settings > Support.

JamesC

116 REPLIES 116
Embeeous
Star
Star

Well, the good news is that I’m not alone 🙂

I’ve had this problem going on for nearly a year now, when I was forced to switch to the Essential Spotlight cameras because Arlo was discontinuing support on our older Arlo cameras.  Since we installed the five new Essential Spotlight cameras, we have had this issue happen two or three times, in less than one year. First, the camera will just drop off of the network. Sometimes I can get back on, sometimes I can’t. I’ve had to return two “bricks” that would not sync or allow me to even set it back to factory, no matter what I tried to do.

Now here’s the clincher that might help somebody, maybe even Arlo if by some miracle they are actually paying attention to these Community posts…the issue keeps happening on the same named camera, even after I replace it. All of my other cameras are fine and have never had this issue. Only the one that I keep putting in the same place and giving the same name. I would say maybe this is weather or moisture related, if I didn’t have several other cameras installed under the same conditions. It is an outdoor camera, right? 🙂 I’m waiting on my second replacement now, when that shows up, I’m going to give it a completely different name, maybe it’s as simple as that.

I personally do not believe that this issue is being caused completely or even partially on the camera end. I believe that is a software or back end Arlo software or server issue. And since Arlo or whoever owns them now really doesn’t provide communication with customers here, and are generally difficult to work with on technical issues (i.e. “have you tried rebooting” etc. :)), we are basically hosed.

I’m hoping that renaming a new replacement camera will solve my problems. Otherwise I’m ripping Arlo out and moving to any number of other great solutions with great support out there. I’m tired of years worth of trying to fix Arlo’s issues for them, without any involvement from the company itself. That’s complete and utter BS, sorry.

I will provide another update at some point. Good luck!

Clemdog
Aspirant
Aspirant

This just started to happen to me last week on a Pro 4 with Arlo solar panel…

Looks like this thread hasn’t been updated in a while. Any known fixes out there?

Clemdog
Aspirant
Aspirant

Of the multiple Arlo cameras I have this is the only one that has full exposure to the elements…I guess my question is which is gone bad?  The camera?  Or the solar panel and cord?

Skdzla15
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yeah I posted here a while back but kept being subscribed too see what else was out there. Mine too was pro 4 with solar panel all arlo. I was the one who had house waterblasted when my issue came up. I've still not had the issue return personally so I'd suggest (hopefully easy accessible) but pull it down only camera and open housing remove battery and leave it near a dehumidifier or put it in a bag of rive and leave it in ur cupboard for a day then clean the connector on camera for charger and also clean solar charger connector then if it's anything like mine u reset it manually and then re add the camera and that should b all to do but I'd suggest to either get a cover or something as im pretty sure the issue here is most likely water ingress but each to their own! Hope that helps annoying yes but hope it least fixes it so u don't have to spend extra money just yet, I can't even remember when I posted but you can search it in this thread from then till now it's never done it again but all mine are under a little part of roof so not exposed exposed apart from when the guy tried to clean them and the wall they attached to with his commercial water blaster. Just glad I got it sorted so good luck

Clemdog
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well followed the above advice and it worked this time for about 20 minutes…

So - If I replace the camera with a new one would I likely solve the problem?

Embeeous
Star
Star

Camera replacement has been the only strategy that has worked for me.

Embeeous
Star
Star

I’ve had another thought on this one, going to spend the $22 or whatever and see if it makes a difference.

SDS DS-1250ZJ Universal Sun Rain Shade Camera Cover Shield Cover Shield for Nest/Ring/Arlo/Dome/Bullet Outdoor Camera (1 Pack, White) https://a.co/d/glYiNsa

Clemdog
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well I bit the bullet and replaced the camera with a new one…

it does the same thing. Works for a couple of minutes then I get a factory reset notice and the camera disappears from my dashboard. 
It might be time to walk away from Arlo 🥺

JohnWinford
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have 9 essential cameras. over year and half. The problem is they leak. The housings are not water tight. Water gets into the reset switch which is the lowest part of the camera, and the water mimics holding the button for 15 seconds. This sends the camera into reset mode, and you get the message.  and it deletes it off your phone.  I had one that was so wet, it took 3 weeks next to the heater to dry and function proper again.  You do have to take the housing off of the camera and set the guts next to a heater.  Pretty simple really.   The water does not dry easy, it takes time. I have one dry for 3 days and now that one will pair and last 24 hours before doing the factory reset. Letting it dry more.  I dont use solar panels or have any wires attached outside. I bring them all in for charging.  This is simply a water getting inside the case issue period. I had water dripping out of the last one, when I tore it apart. Case was in perfect shape.  One that I had issues with had tree squirrel or rats chewing on it and broke the speaker screen. Cant blame arlo for that one.   This last one is just a leaky case. The other 8 cameras are still working fine. all exposed to the elements    

Boat
Initiate
Initiate

I had 2 more go out at the same time.  One of which has never been outside so for me I don’t think it is a moisture problem.  I cancelled my service. 

Also I know someone else who had 2 go out about the same time as my first one went out despite theirs being 1 year newer than mine. They were outside but mounted under eaves so not in direct rain. They canceled also. 

Clemdog
Aspirant
Aspirant

I’ve come to the conclusion that the “factory reset” issue is related to the Arlo solar panel…

Both of the cameras (one older and one new) work fine on my other solar panels. When I attempt to attach the one panel I’ve seen as part of the problem to any camera it almost immediately triggers a factory reset on any of my Pro 4 cameras I attach it to. 
Other Arlo panels work fine on these same cameras. 

yerpster
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the exact same issue with the Arlo Pro 4 camera.  I also believe it's related to the Arlo solar charger.  After setting it up, I can leave it for hours, even plugged in to a wall charger.  Then, as soon as I connect the solar panel, I get the message that the camera has received a factory reset request.

BigJD
Tutor
Tutor

My dead unit was plugged into an AC charger, under a roofline, with cover over it.... and functioned to the factory specifications until the software upgrade.

Rhojo
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the Arlo essential cameras. One is going into fits and sending the factory reset notification and removes the camera. I try to add it back and the sync button doesn’t respond. After a few minutes it starts blinking and I can add it back. It doesn’t stay up 5 minutes and I get the factory reset notification again and it’s removed. When I called Arlo and spoke with Mac he said I had to pay $138 subscription charge and $75 to update the software. My other camera works fine. I’m at a loss here. 

Clemdog
Aspirant
Aspirant

Do you have the camera attached to a solar panel?

Rhojo
Aspirant
Aspirant
It’s not a spotlight. I don’t have a solar panel. Just an essential outdoor camera
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Rhojo wrote:

When I called Arlo and spoke with Mac he said I had to pay $138 subscription charge and $75 to update the software. 

You didn't call Arlo - you reached a scam support site.  Likely that was a result of googling for a phone number.

Hopefully you didn't pay him (or give him any personal information - account passwords, etc).

There is a known issue with some cameras generating factory reset messages.  I think Arlo is still investigating.  If you want to try real Arlo support, then use the app to get it.  You can get phone support between 6 am and 6 pm US pacific time if you have a subscription.  I'm tagging the mods ( @JamesC , @ShayneS , @BrookeN ), as they can help you connect with support.