Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
essej818
Tutor
Tutor

Ive used my arlo camera for a few months and it worked until 15 days ago when I looked on my app and the camera was not linked to my account anymore. It took me 15 days to get the time to climb my way up there to factory reset it.

It worked again for 2 hours until I got a notification on my phone that my camera received a factory reset signal.

It has been removed from my account again.

What or who is sending my camera a factory reset signal and how can I stop this. Nothing I search online is helpful or remotely relevant. Arlo support is completely useless.

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

Many of the cases that have been reported that result in the symptoms being discussed here include damaged or improperly seated charging cables/solar panels. Third-party accessories have also been known to result in the symptoms discussed in this thread. For those experiencing these symptoms after having ruled out a third party accessory or damaged charging cable/solar panel, I encourage you to reach out to Arlo Support to further investigate the issue. You can find Arlo Support contact options within the Arlo Secure mobile app under Settings > Support.

JamesC

116 REPLIES 116
Noconate
Guide
Guide

I see I have a typo above. The Orbi satellite did fix the issue for me. 

Nmain24
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have had this issue for about two weeks now. I got it reconnected and it worked good for about a week. It started disconnecting again w that same factory reset notification. I have tried over and over again to re-add it but it will only stay connected for a few minutes and disconnect again. I’m so frustrated because I haven’t even had this camera for a year. I’m about to give up on it and toss is. I will be switching camera systems soon as it looks like this is not a resolvable issue. Does anyone know if there have been any updates since this original post? Any info is appreciated. Thank you.

steve11estes
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have an essential spotlight camera that is doing the same. It keeps factory resetting itself. 

Tdemille
Initiate
Initiate

James..update?

bgot
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same problem. Still looking for a fix. Essential Spotlight camera. It's one of 4 that has worked without issues for around 2 years. Strong WiFi signal, nothing touching it, and no changes made on my end. Started factory resetting itself last week. Wanted to join the thread in case a solution comes up.

Sean9
Aspirant
Aspirant

My died completely and they ended up replacing it 

Lboyd8
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same issue, I run Arlo at my business and other cameras at my home.  This is the only one that has created a problem.  Recently setup  Pro 3 Wireless Floodlight camera worked for a day and disconnected.  Tried to remove and re-add but each time get the notification that it sent a factory reset and it disconnects.  

Very frustrating, has to be something with this unit/firmware as other cameras in similar location are not having issues at all.

Skdzla15
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yup same here getting reset message on my pro 4 camera it's very frustrating! Any fix been sorted yet looks like alot of people getting this around the same time..

curious-soul
Star
Star

@JamesC

Hi James, You posted in May the development team are looking into this.

Has there been an update on this please? 

Have they been able to reproduce the issue? Are they working on the fix? 

Thanks 

Skdzla15
Aspirant
Aspirant

I posted here yesterday about this issue, I went back to check what was causing this my issue started after I had the house washed by high pressure sprayer and it looks like water may have entered the housing or charger area, I disconnected the power and took the camera unit out of housing left it in a room with dehumidifier for 3hours then reset the device by holding the sync button in for 2 resets then remounted the camera back and left the power/charger cable off. Once I set up camera I monitored it for few hours and then once battery drained to 65% from 80% I reconnected the charger cable after a clean and it's been working fine since and no self resets again for over 24hours and hoping it doesn't reoccur. Just thought id add what seemed to help my situation incase it helped anyone else out there.

curious-soul
Star
Star

That's interesting. But it's still a question how it started to impact so many different people all almost at the same time with cameras in different positions, locations and conditions. 

Hope the fix works for you, please keep us posted. Thanks 

Razor1975
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

I started To have the same issue yesterday.

I had a firmware update last week, and yesterday the camera lost the Wi-Fi connection.

To solve that, the only way I could fix this was by deleting the camera from my account and perform a factory reset. 
Today, after some hours of operation, I got the notification on my iPhone that the camera was reset again on its own. 
Do you guys think it’s related to the latest firmware update?

I had mine running like a charm for more than six months. 
Appreciate any help. 
Thanks

curious-soul
Star
Star

My suspicion is firmware as well, but Arlo never confirmed. Still waiting on the update from @JamesC

Boat
Initiate
Initiate

This has to be a problem Arlo knows about and won't fix.  This happened to me a few weeks ago as well as with someone else I know and their system is a year newer than mine so it is not the age/condition of the cameras.  

We keep going back and forth updating the case but still has not been resolved.   It would go a long way for them to admit what the problem is (or atleast what they think ) and how they are working on fixing it. 

Tdemille
Initiate
Initiate

I just bought 3 TAPO (TP LINK) cameras with a hub and a better software package for about the cost of 1 Arlo camera.. moving on

faddasw1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same issue.  Brought the camera inside and have added it to my network several times and before I can mount it, it gets the factory reset.

This is the second camera I have purchased getting issues. 

I will be going back to Blink.

nodice4
Aspirant
Aspirant

Having same issue with my Pro 4. 4 other cameras have been fine. Been trying the above mentioned things for weeks. @JamesC can you confirm an firmware or similar issue? Any ETA for resolution?

Thanks.

RonK67
Aspirant
Aspirant

I installed four Pro 4 cameras, all with Arlo solar panels.  They worked fine for a few weeks until I started getting the factory reset message on my phone and the camera would drop.  After several wasted hours/days with Arlo support, I decided to disconnect the solar panel on one camera.  The problem went away, but continued on the others.  One by one I removed the solar panels.  Now they are all battery power only and no more issues.  Not convenient to have to swap batteries, but at least now they work.  

Skdzla15
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is what happened to mine. I have one solar charging and one direct plug into wall charging on 10m cable, my issue started on the plug into wall power one. As in my previous post mine is still working fine since I pulled camera out of housing left it to dry in room with dehumidifier (house got water blasted and thought it got wet inside possibly due to pressure washer) I cleaned the charging tabs inside and outside of case and charger connector side then pushed and held in the reset button myself (did this twice) reconnected everything inside before putting back outside added camera and then once it was back left it inside for hour to see if I got the reset notifications again and nothing happened so I remounted back into casing and reconnected my charger cables and haven't had any issues since. This is also an update on my situation that the problem has still not come back so good so far! Hopefully may help others to try or hopefully there's a more direct fix coming from arlo team! Good luck!

CameraGal71
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had this issue begin last evening. Nobody was outside because it was during a thunderstorm so nobody touched my camera. I think from the sounds of the other complaints this must be a glitch with the camera. I tried to reinstall mine - it has a strong internet connection but is not filming and has a circling cursor or it on my app. Any suggestions?

BP99
Tutor
Tutor

Same here happened yesterday, after no request on my part. The Pro4 camera that "reset" is *new* replacement for *yet another* faulty Pro 4. Which BTW, failed less than 10 days past "our excellent warranty".

I'm traveling and thought I could depend on my cameras to give me a window into my property.  I can't exactly try to climb a ladder, "reset" and reconnect the camera from 2000 miles away.

Please James come back with some input from the "development" team. A "factory reset" without a customer request for one is worse than a "bug" - it reveals to your customers that an inexperienced, lazy, "engineering" team with ZERO quality control could care less if they get it right. And the CEO, could care less. $$, $$$, $$$$ - quartiles you know. 

Years ago, Arlo had promise, today it's trash. 

FIX please???

Noconate
Guide
Guide

The saga continues. This week, mine will not power on at all. Disconnected from the solar panel, plugged in with Arlo equipment and cables. Nothing. No power, no sync, no nothing. I'm done with Arlo. I'm buying a ReoLink POE system and cancelling my Arlo subscription.  Useless. 

ekrueger
Guide
Guide

I have the same.  A pro4 received the same factory reset notification.  I was able to re-add it to the account once, but now it fails for that. 

I have a case with Arlo support which is blaming the Wi-Fi network here.  Of course it ran fine for 10 months, there is another pro4 running fine and several older cameras.   

To me, Arlo either doesn’t understand the issue, or doesn’t wish to acknowledge it, and/or refuses to stand by a product that is currently under warranty.   All of which are hugely disappointing and point to a need to get the Arlo cameras out of my environment.  

mrw_e36
Tutor
Tutor

Hello all:

I am having this exact same problem now with 2x essential cameras. These cameras have been working fine for a year, but just recently I've gotten 2x pop ups stating "arlo received a factory reset request from base station" and the cams drop off my dashboard.

Literally nothing has changed in my setup for the last year or so.

Any thoughts/updates?

Thanks!

Mike W.

photoneffect
Tutor
Tutor

Wanted to add my saga to the mix.  I have 4 Arlo 4’s outside.  Two are near my gates so they have AC power run to them. Two are just battery powered.  The battery powered ones have no issues, but I have two issues with my powered ones.

One keeps getting the factory reset request. The other has changed from showing as being plugged in and charging to the solar icon and not charging.  I’ve had both issues twice now both times after a heavy rain.  Seeing that someone else had an issue after pressure washing their house I think it’s possible that’s the culprit.  Perhaps water is infiltrating in some way that either keeps it from wanting to charge (the solar icon issue) or to reset.

Would be interested to hear from the others who are having the factory reset issue if their cameras are completely exposed to the weather and if they’re running on AC, solar, or battery.