Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Essential Spotlight - Sonicwall Port Forwarding

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Steve_D_D
Follower
Follower

I very familier with Arlo cameras having operated both hub and hub-free cameras at home for four years.

My problem is i'm now trying to set up three hub-free essential cameras at work through a Sonicwall router.

Using the phone app for initial setup and scanning the 3d barcode, all cameras cease flashing blue after a few seconds, then briefly flash amber.

I think they've connected to the local 2.4ghz wifi ... but because they cannot talk to or perhaps hear a reply from

Arlo's servers the smartphone app eventually times out after not finding anything.

Should i just buy an arlo hub and try linking the cameras through that onto the business network ... or ... run a port scan to obtain the ip addresses of these cameras on the network and then attempt to set up port forwarding within the sonicwall filter.

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The key here may be "work" - who runs the network, you or an IT group? If the latter, you may need to work with them to open ports to arlo.com (80, 123 and 443). Quite some time ago, someone mentioned that Arlo uses a rather non-standard method of secure communication (over http instead of https?) but that could well have changed since then. If you have a hub to test with, what does that do when plugged into the network? If it doesn't show Internet connectivity, at least you've narrowed it down to the router/firewall instead of WiFi.

Steve_D_D_D
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

Yes i supected ports would need to be opened by my I.T company.

I have noticed all three cameras flash blue - then "see" the 3d barcode on my app - then bleep confirmation before the blue flashing stops.  No amber flashing after (which happened the first few times).

I'm going to try the three cameras on my home network as i have full access to the wifi router.

If i can obtain their mac addresses it'll help my I.T company identify them amongst the list of 90+ other devices on the works network.  At lesst they can try to setup port forwarding based on mac or dhcp ip address.

I will report back in a few days.

Thanks.