Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

1080p while others are at 2k and 4k.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
RegularJoe
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I see discussions in the Arlo Secure threads about some plans being upgraded to 4k recording after the latest price increase....or whatever.

None of that makes any difference to us, plodding along at 1080p, does it?  We're limited by our cameras, not the plan we happen to have, right?

In other words, our camera resolution is fixed at that many pixels... or nah.

I don't really understand all that stuff.

2 REPLIES 2
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

If you google “arlo ceo Twitter” you might get the details if you use the platform. 

I can’t get anything to repost since I don’t use it.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@RegularJoe wrote:

None of that makes any difference to us, plodding along at 1080p, does it?  We're limited by our cameras, not the plan we happen to have, right?

Correct. Just like watching a 4K Netflix stream on a 1080p TV - you end up seeing 1080p anyway, so it doesn't matter.

The Essential's sensor is only 1080p  - and the camera is priced accordingly.  $79 USD at the moment. So the 4K recording aspect of the subscription plan is not relevant for that model.

The Pro 3/Floodlight/Pro 4/Pro 5s are all 2K cameras, and since all plans have 2K, the 4K recording aspect of the subscription plan change isn't relevant to them either.

The Ultra/Ultra 2 is the only Arlo camera with a 4K sensor - and is much more expensive than the Essential.  $249 USD at the moment.  It can record at 2K also, and will if you have a 2K subscription plan.  It's the only camera that benefits from the addition of 4K to the US Arlo Secure Plan.

FWIW, in practice I find that the clarity of the Ultra is limited by the bitrate used in the compression, and not the sensor.  I don't see much (if any) difference in video quality between the 2K cameras and Ultra - and I do have a 4K subscription plan.

So while I do get the reaction to Arlo's misstep with the 4K change, I personally don't think it's that big a deal.  I'd rather they increased the bit rate with Secure Plus instead, which IMO would have resulted in a much bigger user benefit.