Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Will SmartHub decrease latency for live view

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
LikeADiamond
Initiate
Initiate

I have the Arlo Essential XL (2K) cameras around the outside of my house. Whenever I try and get a live view, it can take 30-45 seconds for the cameras to connect and my live view in the app to start. They are connected directly to WiFi. My question, if I get one of the SmartHubs (Pro or Ultra), will that decrease the amount of time it takes to connect when trying to get a live view? To be clear, I'm NOT referring to the Feed of events recorded to the cloud, those I can view quickly.

Thx for the input.

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@LikeADiamond wrote:

if I get one of the SmartHubs (Pro or Ultra), will that decrease the amount of time it takes to connect when trying to get a live view?

I don't think so.  FWIW, I have some cameras connected to smarthubs, and others directly connected.  I don't see the long connection times you are getting, and haven't noticed much difference between the directly connected ones and the ones using the hub.

@LikeADiamond wrote:

Whenever I try and get a live view, it can take 30-45 seconds for the cameras to connect and my live view in the app to start.

Does it always take this long, or is it sometimes quicker?

Have you tried rebooting your router (and modem if that is separate)?

LikeADiamond
Initiate
Initiate

The connection time isn't consistent. Sometimes it will be 10 seconds, others can be 45 seconds to connect. I've rebooted my router and modem, nothing changes. The furthest camera from my router does continue to take longer to connect for live view. Since the Hub is advertised as having greater range, perhaps it would help with that camera?

So are there any other advantages to the Hub that I'm missing? Everywhere I've read says increased battery life, but with the Essential XL, I feel I'm already getting a good battery life.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@LikeADiamond wrote:

Since the Hub is advertised as having greater range,

First, the 2nd Gen Essential cameras can't be connected to a smarthub yet.  Arlo says they will add that feature, but they haven't yet.

Second, in my experience the hub does not have greater range than a router.  And if you have a mesh system, you'll find it has quite a bit less range.

The main benefit of a smarthub is that it provides local storage.  It also is required for homekit and CVR (for the cameras that have those features). 

Power usage can be a bit less (resulting in a bit more time between recharging).  But we don't know yet if that applies to the Gen 2 cameras yet.

dezmangos
Tutor
Tutor

I have the exact same problem here. I restarted my router, uninstalled app, everything.

Even if the cameras are 5ft from router, sometimes it takes 10 seconds to connect and sometimes, 45 seconds. And one in three fail to connect.

It doesn't seem a local problem. It's an Arlo server problem with these 2nd generation, I'm pretty sure about it.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation