Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 25 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
Masas
Guide
Guide

I installed a gen 2 doorbell (wired) today. The video and chime work fine but I cannot talk with my phone. It just generates loud noise. Does anyone have the same issue? Arlo Video Doorbell 2nd Gen 

25 REPLIES 25
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Masas,

Are you using iOS or Android? If you use a different streaming device (like a PC) do you experience the same issue?

Are you able to provide a video clip of the issue?

JamesC

Masas
Guide
Guide

Thanks for your response. 

I use Android 14 on a Pixel 7.  I found it worked ok with my iPad although the volume from the doorbell is low.

I took a video from the inside of my house.  How can I share it with you?

Masas
Guide
Guide
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Masas,

I 've sent you a private message with further instructions.

JamesC

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Masas,

Thank you, I received the video and it appears you're experiencing an audio feedback loop. This happens when your streaming device is too close to the microphone on the camera. If you put some distance between your streaming device and the camera (try 10 feet or so), this should resolve the issue.

JamesC

Masas
Guide
Guide

Yes, that's what I thought initially, but the problem persists even if I move far away.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Masas,

Even if you move to an entirely different room with a closed door between you and the camera the results are the same?

JamesC

Masas
Guide
Guide

Yes, that's right. It works OK with my iPad (the voice from the speaker is low though I maximized the volume). 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Okay, thanks for the confirmation. I will pass this along to the dev team for review.

JamesC

Masas
Guide
Guide

Great, thank you for your help. The two-way talk is currently unusable with my Android due to the noise/echo. I hope we can resolve the issue soon.

I have another issue with the Arlo app that you may be able to help with. I created schedules to change modes at certain times. In "Edit Schedule", I tested by clicking "Test Automation" and the mode changed as programmed. However, it did not execute it at the specified time last night and this morning. 

Masas
Guide
Guide

I did some more experiments. It seems the speaker and microphone on the phone generate a feedback loop, generating the echo/noise. When I turn off the speaker on the phone and turn on the microphone, I can talk to the doorbell without the issue.  As soon as I turn on both the microphone and speaker, it generates the noise. When I turn off either the microphone or speaker, the noise goes off. Therefore, I think it is a software glitch. Thanks!

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Is this an actual glitch?  I just bought a 2nd generation today and I have the exact same problem.  If this is the case, I will return the project.  It has no purpose if it's not going to work.

Masas
Guide
Guide

A recent firmware update resolved most of the echo issues for my device. It may take some time for the firmware to appear on the app.

hpatel85
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm having the same issue with my Gen 2 and my Samsung galaxy s23 ultra, pretty rediculous it takes months to fix this issue
WmRip
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same experience as others posted above. Had high hopes for this Avd 4001. Sadly just installed today, wired using Android phone. 

Superman1234
Aspirant
Aspirant

Using a Google pixel 7 pro and seem to be getting awful feed back from the phone and the doorbell speaker. However, my wife uses a Samsung and has NO issues whatsoever... Wondering if anyone is experiencing this or has found a solution?

ArloNewMexico
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just purchased the Arlo Exterior Camera 2K (2nd Generation). Whenever I use the "microphone" feature to talk to our dogs, can hear LOUD feedback.  Our  phone was  not even near the camera since we were not home.  Tried relocating the camera to several areas, but still have problem.  2 Arlo reps have tried to help.  The last one said will elevate to higher techs and will get back to us.  Its nearing the return policy to Lowes, so may have to return. Feel like Arlo is waiting out the trial period.  Have tried to reset the settings and have tried removing camera and re-stalling it.  

Mike9990
Aspirant
Aspirant

Like several others, my doorbell camera makes screechy feedback noises that make it impossible to talk to someone who has rung the doorbell.

I have tried all the solutions suggested on other posts. 

It is not audio feedback, as it occurs at long distance.  It must be some kind of electronic loop.

I moved the doorbell to the back yard to eliminate "nearby electronic sources."

I have muted the speakerphone on my telephone.

With the microphone muted I can hear the visitor, but of course they can't  hear me.

Is my only choice to return it?

Mike9990
Aspirant
Aspirant

We have the same problem on both a Nokia and a Samsung phones.  It does not seem to be related to the phone, as many posts mention different equipment.  The only common link is ARLO.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Mike9990 wrote:

We have the same problem on both a Nokia and a Samsung phones.  It does not seem to be related to the phone, as many posts mention different equipment.  The only common link is ARLO.

Are you hearing the feedback on the phone speaker?  

Or are you hearing it on the camera speaker?

Masas
Guide
Guide

Have you updated the firmware to the latest version? In my case, it improved significantly after the update. It is still not perfect but I can use the two way talk now. 

AnitaF
Aspirant
Aspirant

I installed a new Arlo Video Doorbell, and when I click on the microphone, I get an awful screeching sound. Someone posted about this issue previously.  Is there a fix? I have tried restarting, uninstalling, reinstalling, and updating the app.

Mike9990
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, on the doorbell speaker, the phone speaker, and the phone earpiece.

Mike9990
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, and all the other solutions I have seen posted.