Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
esko79
Tutor
Tutor

I just bought a new Arlo Base Station for my four Arlo Essential 1. gen cameras, and it works great! I have a fixed IP adress, did the port-forwarding and I can access the footage on my local storage away from home. Great!

But I have troubles connection my new Arlo Essential 2. gen camera to my Base Station. Again, I have four Arlo Essential (1. gen) connected to my Base Station, and they record all footage locally. When I connect my new 2. gen cam in the Arlo app, I don't get the option of using my Base Station as I do with 1. gen. I can see the Base Station in my Arlo app, and again, all other four Arlo Essential cameraes record to it, so the base station is probably not the problem.

We I get to choose a wifi network on the 2. gen, I only get TWO wifi-options although I have multiple wifi networks in my home. When I manually enter one of the wifi networks, that is not on the list, the 2. gen connects to this wifi without any problems. So I think this is the problem: the 2. gen can only detect two wifi-networks and the ARLO Base Station is not one of them.

I then tried manually to enter the wifi-name of the Arlo Base station (ARLO_VMB_21XXXX) but then I'm also asked to enter a password, and I don't know the password for the Arlo Base station (didn't have to use it with the other 1. gen cameras).

Have anyone had similiar problems? And can anyone help?

Esben

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Streak2
Master Master
Master

Essential Gen 2 are not compatible with any base stations right now. Apparently this could change with a future firmware update. If and when it does then you will be given the option to connect to your base or wifi during installation. While you may see the base's SSID it's not possible to connect it to it the usual way. This is why it does not appear in the list of possible wifi networks during installation.

You must select one of your regular wifi networks to connect the camera to.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Streak2
Master Master
Master

Essential Gen 2 are not compatible with any base stations right now. Apparently this could change with a future firmware update. If and when it does then you will be given the option to connect to your base or wifi during installation. While you may see the base's SSID it's not possible to connect it to it the usual way. This is why it does not appear in the list of possible wifi networks during installation.

You must select one of your regular wifi networks to connect the camera to.

esko79
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the answer. If I had known that in advance, I wouldn't have purchased the cam 😞

Stones2510
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am trying to pair my essential 2k cam with my smart hub but the hub does not discover it.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Stones2510 wrote:

I am trying to pair my essential 2k cam with my smart hub but the hub does not discover it.

The gen 2 cameras don't have that feature yet.  Arlo says they will add it, but they haven't said when.

erson
Aspirant
Aspirant

I bought a set of Arlo Essential outdoor 2k gen 2 from Costco hoping to also buy a hub to save recordings. It appears Essential gen 2 is not compatible with any hub (gen 1 is) which essentially makes them completely useless as a video security system. Arlo support confirmed it. Do I miss something? Why would anyone want a camera that is not able to record?

the set is going back to Costco.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@erson wrote:

Why would anyone want a camera that is not able to record?

They do record to the Arlo cloud (requiring a subscription).

But if you want the local recording feature, then I agree the best option is to return them.  You could repurchase after Arlo adds that feature.