Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
FaFe
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo Baby fw 1.14, battery switch is off, powered by usb power supply

Device is working fine via browser & app, but when it's getting switched on & off via the app it becomes sort of unreachable:

- option for live view is still available in the app, it's just not possible to activate

- device settings are still available in the app, but only restart/ remove device, restart option has no effect

- power cycling the camera works (if you are nearby, that's the issue...)

The issues seems to be there since the 1.14 fw update, before that the device was working fine for quite a while (on a mesh wifi).

14 REPLIES 14
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Can you try and factory reset the baby camera via these steps: https://kb.arlo.com/1282685/How-do-I-reset-Arlo-Baby-to-factory-default-settings

FaFe
Aspirant
Aspirant

The factory reset was done twice already but didn't improve anything. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The live streaming does not work over the web as well? Which version of the Arlo app are you using? 

FaFe
Aspirant
Aspirant

App is the latest Android one, 4.6_28545.

The Arlo Baby is showing exactly the same behaviour via the web.

It's actually quite easy to reproduce:

- Device is permanently powered

- Device is set to "On" via web/ app

- Receive a few motion/ audio alarms 

- Set device to "Off" via the app/ web

From now on it's not possible to activate streaming via app or web. In the app within the device settings you'll only  see Device Info/ Restart/ Remove. On the web you'll see the camera as being on, but it's impossible to switch it off. Whenever you change it to off it'll be on again once you re-enter the settings.

Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary

I am experiencing something similar with my Arlo Baby cameras. They are plugged in; however they are not on all the time. I enable and disable them as needed.  For the last month or so, when I try to disable them, they become non-responsive. On the app, it just spins and spins. This will go on for days if I leave it. The cameras are completely unrepsonsive. No functionality at all (not even live view). All Arlo apps are Android.

The status light on the cameras turn purple, and the cameras have to be power-cycled in order to reconnect. I have to do this every time or sometimes every other time I try to disable the cameras--so several times a week. Obviously, this would be a problem if I didn't have physical access to the cameras (e.g., out of town). 

The cameras were not in use for a while and were just recently plugged back in in June, which is when I noticed that these new Arlo Baby quirks started. Last I checked they are on the latest firmware 1.14.0.0_124_a58d08a_b7792aa.

FaFe
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've double checked the status light with my Arlo Baby just now, it's purple as well. Didn't notice  before because it was simply disabled. 

I'm pretty sure we are both sharing exactly the same issue with the Arlo Baby. 

Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary

@FaFe 

Yeah, Arlo Baby is getting more and more flakey. Now, one of them just stops recording for unknown reasons even though its still connected. I know that there are cars driving by right in front of it, but no recordings even though none of the settings appear to have changed.

And the app settings still randomly change on its own.

It's really tiresome to have to constantly power cycle them. Obviously, I'm going to have to replace them with something that actually works.... argh....

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Zzzzzzzzzz The Arlo baby camera is not designed to detect motion through any glass. This is like the reason for false positives or missing events.

Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary

@ShayneS 

I thought that Arlo Baby was pixel based motion detection? 

It was working fine for a short while--even detects people walking on the sidewalk across the street. But lately, it just drops offline or stops recording while appearing online for no reason. Then I have to power cycle.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

You an find more info here: https://kb.arlo.com/63/Does-Arlo-motion-detection-work-through-glass-or-windows

"Pixel Based (Frame-by-frame)

Frame-by-frame comparison is the type of motion detection used by Arlo Q, Arlo Q Plus, Arlo Essential Indoor, and Arlo Baby. This type of motion detection sometimes detects false positives due to moving reflections in glass surfaces. Avoid pointing the cameras towards windows, glass, or mirrors.

• Arlo Pro 3, Arlo Pro 4, and Arlo Pro 5S uses frame-by-frame comparison when connected to an outdoor charger with the battery fully charged.
  • Arlo Pro 3 Floodlight uses frame-by-frame when the Outdoor Power Adapter is used and the battery is fully charged."
Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary

@ShayneS

OK, thanks for the information and link.

Pixel based may lead to false postives, but it should not miss movement of large objects like cars, particularly in the day when the camera and all objects are in the shade. The Arlo Q placed in a window has great motion detection performance. It triggers on cars at least 40-50 feet away.

I'm pretty sure that the issues that I am having with Arlo Baby are firmware based and likely related to the other Arlo Baby firmware issues. In this instance, if I go in and toggle the settings and perhaps do a live view, then the motion detection starts to work again. It's almost like it needs to be woken up. Or worst case, I have to power cycle.

Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary

@ShayneS 

Is development looking into the issues with Arlo Baby connectivity and stability? These are still supported for another year or so, correct? I am still having to power-cycle every day or two, which is silly. And the app/camera does not retain its settings; it just changes settings on its own. This has been happening ever since I've had them, among other issues.

If Arlo is no longer supporting Arlo Baby, I'm probably going to return to Costco because although they had great specs they never really worked properly and now are practically unusable. They were rather expensive at the time and even more so now as compared to other brands....

I had previously assumed that I would replace all my Arlo cameras with more Arlo cameras when needed. But with all that's transpired this year, unless Arlo gets it act together, I can't see why I would pay a premium for Arlo hardware and cloud recording, with no functional Customer Support and extra buggy devices, firmware, and apps....

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Zzzzzzzzzz Can you Private message me the serial number of the affected baby camera?

Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary

@ShayneS 

Sent you PM. Thanks!

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation