Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 49 Replies
  • 11 Likes
  • 12 In Conversation
mike_pace
Tutor
Tutor

Hello.

I have an 8-camera, 2-base, Arlo Wire Free system.  These have all been intergrated into Smartthings for a couple of years now.  The cameras are always Armed, and the ST app controls what to do when motion is seen.  Using the cameras as motion detectors, and using dedicated motion detectors, ST sends me a text message, and tells the affected camera to record for 30 seconds.  This  all worked great up until about two weeks ago.  Now all I get are the text messages indicating that motion was seen.  No video is recorded.  I also cannot stream video in the ST app, but can turn off and on the camera, and see battery and motion status.  I have removed and reinstalled the cameras into Smartthings.  Twice.  I have contacted Smartthings.  They started a support ticket, but I have not heard anything back from them, despite several prompts from me.  Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

49 REPLIES 49
bspalding100
Guide
Guide
Just had mine switch back to Disarmed again today. I never select the ST mode, but I’ll try deleting it anyway and see if that helps. I also have not been able to stream at all in ST.

Thought I would also mention that I recently got a Google Home Hub and it also has issues streaming to that device. It worked a few weeks back after I installed it, but hasn’t worked during around the same time frame as the issue with ST streaming.
SantanderUSA
Guide
Guide
My last recording triggered from Zooz motion sensor was the same day !!
Mine are Arlo Pro 2.
Comingback
Tutor
Tutor
I have the same issue. Unable to see video feed from smartthings or google home (chromecast or app) but the feed is fine using the arlo app or viewing it on the web. Cameras are arlo pro 2 and arlo Qs with paid subscription.
mike_pace
Tutor
Tutor

I spoke with tech support at Arlo today. Again. They acknowledged that there is an issue with ST, Alexa, and Google Home in controlling recordings and video streams.  They said there is nothing to do but wait for the update to come out. "Thank you" to everyone who took the time to work with Arlo support.  If we never report problems, then they might never get fixed.

SantanderUSA
Guide
Guide

I really appreciate your update on this issue. 

bspalding100
Guide
Guide

It appears that the streaming capability within the Smartthings app, as well as streaming to my Google Home Hub, has not been working for some weeks now. Seems to have corresponded with the release of the Smart features. Also, around this time, my Arlo modes started changing for no reason, going into "Disabled" mode.

Contacted Support and they have not heard about this issue, but there is an active thread in the Communities on this issue, with several folks noting they have contacted Support about this problem. I believe the problem is on the Arlo end, as it happened with Google and Smartthings around the same time and none of the troubleshooting steps have been able to resolve it.

bspalding100
Guide
Guide

Thought I would add an update here...

Spoke again to Arlo Support and they told me the issue streaming to Google assistant devices is known, but they said they were not aware of any issue streaming to Smartthings. I referred her to this thread -- I'm sure she'll jump right over here... lol.

I did have a question for others... I understand that streaming for third party partners is not supported for ealier wireless cameras. In my setup, I have two hubs (one is a VMB4000v3 and the other is a VMB3010r2) and 7 cameras, which are a mix of H7 (Arlo Wire Free), H11 (Arlo Pro) and H14 (Arlo Pro 2), mixed among the two hubs. My hunch is this might have an effect on whether *any* of the cameras can stream from my setup. I was wondering how many with this streaming issue might have similar mixes of older and newer cameras and/or base stations. Some out there seem to be having no issue streaming to ST or Google, so just curious.

Comingback
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the update.

I have two Arlo Pro 2 cameras, along with arlo doorbell and chime, using a VMB4000r3 hub and two Arlo Q (Hardware: 6) cameras. I used to be able to stream any camera fine in smartthing but now get the error of "Unable to retrieve video URL" and takes about 20 seconds to see the error. Where as in google home I almost instantly recieve a "Not Responding" error in 3 seconds.

Truely saddened by the slow response.

mike_pace
Tutor
Tutor

I have two base units, both VMB3010r2, and eight cameras, all Wire Free vintage. The device info for all says H7 for the Hardware and 1.3.314 for the firmware. One camera has sadly passed on, so I’m down to only seven. I have an Arlo Smart Premier subscription. So, no mix of old, newer, and new cameras and bases. Just all old, electronically speaking. My problems have not changed, still not getting any recordings when triggered by SmartThings, and not video streaming through 5r SmartThings app. 

bspalding100
Guide
Guide

I'm hoping the fix for Google streaming also fixes the ST issue. My guess is they are the same issue. However, I'm getting a little frustrated by the length of time it's taken them to solve this. Partner capability with Google and ST are advertised features. I would think they would be all over this.

Anyway, so far, each of us has some form of "vintage" camera on our network. I'd be interested to see if anyone with a newer base station and only Pro or Pro 2 cameras has this issue. I might try to tweak my setup by uninstalling everything and then only include my newer cameras and base station to see what happens. Won't be able to do that for a few weeks though.

SantanderUSA
Guide
Guide
Yep, I have all Pro 2 and the video streaming still stuck in what the attached screenshot shows....
bspalding100
Guide
Guide

Yep. Same issue here. The ST stream takes about 15 seconds to fail, but the Google stream immediately gives an error.

Mobalized
Tutor
Tutor
Been having the same issues. Reported to Arlo support a few weeks ago.
SantanderUSA
Guide
Guide
Thanks!
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I have the same issue.

Cannot view any live stream of Arlo Pro, Pro 2, Q & Q Plus via the SmartThings App (Both classic and New).

SmartThings automations trigger correctly but recordings simply do not materialise.

In the SmartThings classic app, my Arlo cameras were able to initiate a recording but since ~ 2 months ago have been failing. Have had to migrate to the new SmartThings app where the only option for my cameras in on/off?!
I've tried resetting/readding devices/connected services all with no success.

Definitely an Arlo problem as I experience the same thing with IFTTT, Alexa and Stringify.

Anyone hear back from Arlo support?

mike_pace
Tutor
Tutor
I have heard nothing new since I last spoke to Arlo tech support, which was that they were aware of the problem, and were working on an update that would fix it. Now we just wait.
SantanderUSA
Guide
Guide
Good news!!
Today I had my streaming issues resolved! I hope everybody is ok now. It seems that they did an update in the app and now i have video through smartthings.
mike_pace
Tutor
Tutor
That is good to know. Can you tell what version it is? This is the one that doesn’t work.
SantanderUSA
Guide
Guide
The version is 2.7.0 from 01.08.19.
I got the streaming to Smartthings but i still cannot get Smartthing to record.
Baby steps......jjj
steve_t
Master Master
Master

I can confirm that today, with ST app 2.17.0 on Android, I can stream my Arlo cameras

SantanderUSA
Guide
Guide
Good!!!!
I also I made smatthings to record one of the streams via Smart H9me Monitor eventhoigh sometimes today one or two of the recording keep generating....... !!!
bspalding100
Guide
Guide
I can confirm that streaming is now working in both ST and on My Google Home Hub now. This looks to have been resolved with the push of the latest Arlo update that came out this morning. I’m not sure if it got resolved in the hub firmware or their servers, but looks good so far.
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yesterdays Arlo app update fixed a few issues:

- I can now stream Arlo cameras via the SmartThings classic and SmartThings new app. Cat Happy

- I can record with my Arlo cameras via Smart Home Monitor and custom automations through the SmartThings classic app but not the SmartThings new app which still does not give me the option to record but just switch a camera on/off. Cat Indifferent

- Arlo recordings via IFTTT still fails Cat Sad

- I have a Smart Premier subscription with all the latest firmwares

- Haven't had time to test Stringify/Alexa yet.

mike_pace
Tutor
Tutor

I was out of town, and finally have been able to confirm that the recent Arlo app update, version 2.7.0, has solved the issue with Smartthings.  I can now record clips from ST triggers as well as manually stream video, although there seems to be a glitch when trying to view full screen.  My device reports an error in trying to view the stream.  If I stick with the small stream window, it is just fine.  

ddorten
Star
Star

New features are always a nice idea but how about fixing the Smartthings-Arlo integration. I have used my VNB4000r3 hub & pro cameras with Smartthings quite successfully until a few months ago. The integration no longer functions after a software or firmware update by Arlo. The cameras are used as part of an overall security system coordinated through Smartthings. If Arlo intends to discontinue integration with Smartthings, please inform everyone so we can move away from your product and find a replacement.