Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
its_Tricky83
Guide
Guide

Following the instructions outlined here to a tee. Try as I might, I am unable to connect Google Assistant to my Arlo account.

At step "7. Sign in with your Arlo account.". After signing into my Arlo account, an "Account now linked" webpage appears in simple text for barely a tenth of a second before I am returned to the selection of smart device brands and a message appears briefly (about half a second) at the bottom of my phone screen stating "Couldn't update the setting. Check your connection." see screenshot below.

Screenshot_20181101-222144_Google.jpg

I have tried renaming all my Arlo Cameras and the Hub to simple one-word labels.

I have also tried deleting my entire Google Home profile and setting it up from scratch. 

I have tried dropping my phone off the wifi network and onto cellular to perform the account sync.

I have reset and reconnected my Chromecast (Gen 1).

Everything is setup fairly stock standard and all on the same network.

The firmware on all devices are 100% up to date.

It's really starting to frustrate me and I'm starting to wonder if the issue is more widespread at the moment?

75 REPLIES 75
brizzo
Star
Star
I FINALLY got the Arlo account to link with google home and my camera names/devices showed up. I didn’t do anything different, I just tried to link it 100 times. It finally took. However, when I tried to view the camera feed in the google home app, I get an error message that says ,”failed to stream.”
GaryRoyale
Aspirant
Aspirant
Just heard that I can use Arlo with my Google Assistant but I can't seem to connect to the service after authentication.
I get a "Couldn't connect to service. Check connection error". Also it brings up a page can't be displayed. See the attached image. I have the latest version of Home and Arlo apps as of 11/25/18. I can link up my Arlo cam to Wink without issues and also my Wink devices to Google Assistant as well.
brizzo
Star
Star
OK, I finally got the answer. I just got done talking with Google. They told me to tell my Google Home to “sync all my devices.“ This fixed everything. Give it a shot
Rcj023000
Aspirant
Aspirant
Just tried saying sync all but no luck for me
arloha
Guide
Guide

Thank you.  This actually fixed my issue too, although I don't know if it's just a coincidence, as when I "sync all my devices" with Google, Arlo wasn't even linked yet.  But after that, when I tried again to link Arlo to Google Home, even though it showed a different error message (failed to load provider info), my arlo account was successfully linked and cameras shown, and even streaming from Google Home worked (to my phone, haven't tested to TV yet).

I chatted with Google Home support yesterday too but I don't the person I talked to had a clue.  Kept asking me about my Google Home device firmware version and ISP and all that.  

bazbob
Initiate
Initiate

Didn't see the "sync all devices" reply till now but I was able to sucessfully link arlo to Google Assistant this morning.  However I'm not able to view the video streams from Google Home.  This is also similar to Samsung SmartThings now.  Niether SmartThings or Google Home can view the cameras.  I see a message that the camera is "Not Responding"

BradDouglasarlo
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi having problems trying to add arlo to google home. I enter my details and click allow but it gives a message . Could not connect
brizzo
Star
Star
I actually had to try to “sync all devices“a few times. The first couple times I did it, google responded with an “error“ message saying that Arlo could not be synced. Make sure you tried a few times before giving up.
Maycoll
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi. I had the same problem. I tied for days to solve it. Erased the cash in aps, unistaled Home, and Arlo. Nothing worked.
But I made it work. It was as simple as I turned of the WiFi extenders I have home and tried again to make Google Home connect with Arlo. It worked immediately.
I hope this works for you too!
GaryRoyale
Aspirant
Aspirant
Definitely don't have wifi extenders. Just an Asus router hooked to an ATT Uverse gateway. I setup my new Google home hub without issues and my Arlo base has always been connected. I'm thinking it's something else.

Ps. I even tried the process on my older Note 4 phone and had the same results. I currently use a Note 8 for the apps.
Yzbat
Tutor
Tutor
Experiencing the same issue. Cameras were showing but unable to stream I unlinked account and not I am unable to link account.
InfoSec_Adam
Aspirant
Aspirant

Anyone else having issues with Google Home after this most recent update on 11/20? Ever since Arlo require an update to the newest version of flash, we are unable to use Google Assistant to streamt to the Chromecast. Now just recieved the Google Home Hub as a gift and its not able to link either. It says the "stream is unavailable" on the device, but if I go through the Arlo app direct, the stream is available. Tried removing the account to add it back in and now it won't even add. Hope that wasn't a mistake removing it! Now I receive the following attached errors. 

Anyone else have similar results? Hoping to be able to view my Arlo cameras on my Google Home Hub.

Thanks!

Adam

My devices:

Google Home Hub

3 Google Home Mini's

ChromeCast

ErrorErrorGoogleHome_LinkArlo.JPG

Newtwarrior
Initiate
Initiate

Same, please Arlo, you need to fix this. Something is up with the authentication or something. I've tried everything

danwestness
Initiate
Initiate
I am having the exact same issue. Just got my new Arlo system today. Bought it specially because of it's ability to integrate with Google home. Now it seems that it doesn't work....
Darren_Walsh
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have an Arlo baby and setting up for the first time. Every time I try to link my Arlo account in the Google home App I get past log in and allow the required accesses, then get an error  "Couldnt update settings, check your connection".

I have a number of other devices/products linked with no problem. I tried to "Sync all devices" on the google side and the same issue.

I'm also very disappointed with the support site. Tried logging an E-mail issue and the form disappeared twice on me as I was filling it out, then the submit button did nothing after the 3rd time filling it out.

Same thing happened with the live chat, button just did nothing when I clicked it.

Mel1329
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue as well. It looks like this has happened previously with several apps and potentially it has to do with the security tokens being passed. 

pmcneil18
Star
Star

I'm having the same problem. Try to add Arlo to my devices in the Google Home settings, I enter my email/password for Arlo, tap "allow", it spins with "Linking your Arlo account, and tells me "couldn't update setting, check your connection".

Another clue: I am able to make an API connection to Arlo in ITTT with no issue. I can say "arm/disarm Arlo" to my Google assistant, and it arms/disarms no problems.

GaryRoyale
Aspirant
Aspirant

Tried saying "Sync all devices" into Google Home Hub, and Google mini. After doing so, it still gave me the error. Tried about 5 times just to be sure. 

GaryRoyale
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am no computer tech or anything, but if IFTTT works between Google Assistant and Arlo, then it's probably not a communication issue. It has more to do with the 11/20 update breaking authentication when setting up a new Arlo account on Google Home app for some users. Just a hunch... Wink / Ecobee work just fine. 

Did some digging on other threads, and looks like Arlo is looking into it: https://community.arlo.com/t5/Partner-Integrations/quot-Not-Responding-quot-message-from-Google-Assi...

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

As GaryRoyale stated, our development team is aware where some users are experiencing problems with Google Assistant and is investigating this issue. We will be sure to update as soon as we have more information to share with the community. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

hzenner
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same problem.  Just set up the Google Home Hub today ... linked Arlo OK and I was able to stream to device...once!  Then got connection errors.  Tried a dozen times, so I unlinked my 3 Arlo cameras.  But now I can't seem to link again: "couldn't update setting ... check your connection."  Tried everything: rebooting tablet, phone, Arlo (disconnected from power and reconnected).  Arlo works, but just won't link.   PLEASE FIX.

tonni
Initiate
Initiate
Same here. Streaming from Google home stopped working, and I unlinked Arlo. Then I had to try many times to link it again, but still can't stream.
I tried to ask Google to sync all devices, it didn't help and ended up showing duplicated lights on my Google home hub.

This integration has been really unstable for the past few months. Sometimes even the Arlo app itself can't stream..

Arlo needs to step up the quality before adding new features.
wellhellothere
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am also unable to link my Google Home/Assistant account.  I couldn't stream so I tried re-pairing and now I cannot.  It fails after the inital OAuth connection when it says Account Linked.  It normally take a second to return to assistant and finish setting up the devices.

Not, the pairing works with other services.  I un-paired and re-paired two other services after the Arlo connection was broken.

Sorrytryagain
Aspirant
Aspirant
The best method I had for repairing was going into the Google home app - settings - delete this home or where ever you previously had your Arlo saved. Close Google home app. Then access your Google assistant then say "sync all devices" . Arlo should now sync. Then go back into your Google home app and a home should be created again with your Arlo cameras inside. If you have a Chromecast in the google home app just add it to the new home that your Arlo cameras are in.
hzenner
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm replying to my own message.  The problem magically went away.  The next day,  I decided to try again, and it worked.  I didn't do anything different, but the problem seems to be resolved.