Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
its_Tricky83
Guide
Guide

Following the instructions outlined here to a tee. Try as I might, I am unable to connect Google Assistant to my Arlo account.

At step "7. Sign in with your Arlo account.". After signing into my Arlo account, an "Account now linked" webpage appears in simple text for barely a tenth of a second before I am returned to the selection of smart device brands and a message appears briefly (about half a second) at the bottom of my phone screen stating "Couldn't update the setting. Check your connection." see screenshot below.

Screenshot_20181101-222144_Google.jpg

I have tried renaming all my Arlo Cameras and the Hub to simple one-word labels.

I have also tried deleting my entire Google Home profile and setting it up from scratch. 

I have tried dropping my phone off the wifi network and onto cellular to perform the account sync.

I have reset and reconnected my Chromecast (Gen 1).

Everything is setup fairly stock standard and all on the same network.

The firmware on all devices are 100% up to date.

It's really starting to frustrate me and I'm starting to wonder if the issue is more widespread at the moment?

75 REPLIES 75
Nufegiyq
Tutor
Tutor
Also having this exact problem, with the only exception being that the error pop-up message stating “something went wrong, try again.”
I have tried the same troubleshooting tactics as the OP with no success.
Hehehehjejejne
Initiate
Initiate
This is happening on our setup too.

Fully working Google home, everything is fine.

Bought Arlo kit today, set it up, everything working fine. Updated base and cameras.

Go to Google home > add > add a set up device > Arlo > authorise.... I get the white screen saying it has linked.... then a small error pops up “something went wrong”

Rang Arlo customer suppport > the worst outsourced support I have seen. Got speaking to the agent and they straight up confessed to having full access to the Arlo accounts - wouldn’t say if they could see cameras. But absolutely no security.... you can just ring up, give them the email address and they will discuss the account. Take away here is just don’t bother ringing support.

Is this what Arlo is? Is this why I chose a mainstream model over an Amazon/Chinese knock off?

Ezikiel
Initiate
Initiate
Having the same issue, and it started last night. Cameras were already linked and working, and then randomly last night google home hub said the feed was not working. Checked the arlo app and feed was working fine. Unlinked arlo from google Home and assistant, and now when I try to relink it says Account Linked, followed a few seconds later by “Something went wrong, please try again.”. I am starting to think it might be a problem on googles end.
Nufegiyq
Tutor
Tutor
I thought that it might be google as well, but I disconnected and reconnected my other accounts (Harmony, Smartthings...) and they linked up without a hitch.
Ezikiel
Initiate
Initiate
Same thing, deleted my home, renamed everything, relinked my Harmony, SmartThings, Phillips Hue, Ecobee. Everything links fine except Arlo 😩
Andreabis
Tutor
Tutor

Ancora nulla...

Siccome ho anche Alexa Echo Spot, con questo funziona tutto. Riesco a vedere il video in diretta. Quindi non dovrebbero esserci problemi di ip, rete, etc.

Echo funziona con le skill dei vari produttori che si possono istallare dall'app Alexa, mentre Google home le ha incorporate nella sua app.

Probabilmente è un problema di Arlo verso le api di Google home.

Speriamo risolvano presto.

techbrian
Guide
Guide

I am seeing this issue too. I setup a google home and saw issues with getting cameras to stream two days ago. Then it worked in the morning. Today it stopped working and after chatting with Google support they have asked me to remove the account and now I can't add it again. 

killBot801
Initiate
Initiate

Hello

I've tried all the same things and am having the exact same issue.  I cannot link my Arlo Cameras or base station to Google Home / Assistant.  I've tried on iOS and Android both give me an error after the allow access page.

techbrian
Guide
Guide

After an hour on chat with Google support, I think I got the girl I was working with to report the issue. I am in Mountain View and I joked that I could go to Google heaquarters and get them to reboot the internet.

techbrian
Guide
Guide

For those who have had Google home and Arlo connected for a while does this happen often or is it pretty stable? I am strongly considering revamping my home automation platform with Google Home and I want to understand what I am getting into. Thanks.

Nufegiyq
Tutor
Tutor
The Google Home has been great. I think Google is a little sluggish to adopt new features and services, but that’s a pretty common complaint among all things DIY IOT related. The Arlo, however, has always been on my list of things to replace. On its own, it is fine, great even. When communicating or linking with other IOT devices, it’s a complete nightmare!
killBot801
Initiate
Initiate

So...... I just successfully added my Arlo account to Google Home / Assistant.... Don't know what changed but when I tried to view a camera stream from the Google Home app I get the "Failed to load stream" error...... 

techbrian
Guide
Guide

I, too, was able to add my cameras back into Google Assistant and then I went into the home app and I can see a stream fine now.

Andreabis
Tutor
Tutor

I confirm that everything is working well now.
Thanks to Arlo or Google
its_Tricky83
Guide
Guide

I (OP) too can now connect Google Home Assistant to the Arlo service.

Really appreciate everyone's responses here.

All seems to be resolved. Thanks everyone.

Nufegiyq
Tutor
Tutor
After having a firm discussion with my Arlo Hub and some much needed therapy on this forum, my cameras are once again linked to my Google Home. For now.
mattmacosta
Tutor
Tutor
How was this solved, i have the same issue
its_Tricky83
Guide
Guide
Hey mattmacosta,
I simply waited a day and the issue was resolved for me, and for many others.
So try it tomorrow and hopefully it's fixed by then. I don't think Netgear are even aware that this issue occurs from time to time, or they're refusing to admit it.
bazbob
Initiate
Initiate

Found this thread after beating my head agaist the wall for half a day.  The problem that was originally reported is "back" at least for me.  I had had this working before but did some cleanup of my devices on Google Assistant and unlinked my Arlo account from it.  Now I'm unable to get it link back.  Symptoms are the same as the OT reported.  This appears to be on Arlo's (Netgear) side as I'm also able to link my Samsung SmartThings to Arlol but the video stream is not available.  I believe the Google Linking and the unable to stream from SmartThings are a related issue on Arlo's 3rd party API access.  I'm hoping they fix this again soon.

arloha
Guide
Guide

When my Arlo was linked with Google Home, streaming to my TV(s) would work interrmittently.   Today I unlinked Arlo, and tried to relink it, after I replaced a defective Arlo Pro camera.  Google Home asked me to "Allow" it to access my Arlo account info and when I clicked Allow it said it was "linking your arlo accoun," only to return to the Manage Accounts screen w/o having linked it.   I really don't think it's Google Home as all my other (6) third party accounts are still linked and working fine.  So what's the deal?  

Frankly Arlo has been quite troublesome since I started using them almost a year ago.  First batteries were draining like crazy, until they finally released a firmware update that seemed to have fixed the issue, then one of the Arlo Pros went blind in darkness (night vision defective).  Now I can't link it to Google Home.    

brizzo
Star
Star
I have this exact same issue. PLEASE respond if u have a solution.
Mdterps
Apprentice
Apprentice
I am also having this exact same problem. My arlo account was linked to google home hub but my cameras would not stream. I then unlinked my arlo account and now no matter what I try, I am unable to link my arlo account again.
Dougski60
Tutor
Tutor

I have 5 arlo cameras, linked to arlo account.

Every time I try to link this account to google home it acts like it will link, but then doesn't.

I put in my arlo account and pw, and then it asks for okay to link to google.

It then says Linking.... spins an icon a bit, and then I get this message: "Couldn't update the settings. Check your connection."

Screen shot attached. 

I saw some helps that claimed that renaming the cameras would help. It didn't. 

What's up?

"

Rcj023000
Aspirant
Aspirant
Have the same problem here. Tried all the troubleshooting tips including renaming the devices but no luck relinking to Google home