Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
RobMo150
Apprentice
Apprentice

I had this working for a couple of years where I've integrated a driveway sensor to a open/close ST's sensor.   When someone came down the driveway, it triggered the open/close sensor which in turn fired off a custom rule in ST to start 2 cameras recording for 1 minute.    Worked great  UNTIL 2 weeks ago.   No changes were made by me.  I don't know of ST or Arlo updated anything.    I've restarted, rebuilt, deleted rules, added new rules, nothing.   I can see in the ST app for the camera that a "sent Capture Command to porch camera" was sent.   But the camera doesn't do anything.   I've had it in disabled mode, ST mode, armed (on arlo).    Was there an update from either company that might have screwed up this integration?   I can manually trigger the camera in ST to record, but not by a rule.    This really stinks because this was a great security feature.   If I can't find a solution I'll have to rethink my whole setup.     Thanks for any advice.    I did search and went thru this thread just to make sure I didn't miss anyting.

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo/Record-without-motion-Smartthings-Arlo/m-p/1531162#M50207

295 REPLIES 295
rscott09
Apprentice
Apprentice

You are probably right, just a matter of time when every company will be charging a monthly service to get get access to our data on hardware that we have a significant investment in.  Especially worry some on companies that sell out to other companies which is happening a lot lately.

Thyg0d
Apprentice
Apprentice

Got my hands on a WMB4500 base and I can also confirm it's working with ST. 

Why this happens at every single firmware update is beyond me. 

laniocarvalho
Star
Star
Hi Everyone,

No offence to all the testing and suggestions posted on here by a lot of you however what I cant seem to understand is why are we suggesting that a new purchase of the 3500 hub is a option... Arlo broke a perfectly functional system and if they cant get it fixed only for the 4000 then it their issue... and should be providing us with a replacement comparable HUB... why do we have to spend the added bucks?? The Arlo system does not come cheap and now we have to invest and addition 100 to 150 to get a replacement HUB because Arlo broke the existing one!! This is exactly what arlo wants that we buy there new hub... and who guarantees that arlo wont break this to force us into buying there next hub?
RobMo150
Apprentice
Apprentice

@laniocarvalho 

Agree that arlo needs to continue to be pushed.   I’ve got my next call on Monday.  But it’s also helpful to know other versions are working.   If you look back at my post around message 192 when I stated the 5000 is working,  I never said I “bought” it.   I said you all might want to discuss with arlo a upgrade path.   🤔.  

Now that arlo is telling me that ST is “making the fix”, and I know that 3500, 4500, 5000 work it sure seems like BS that it’s a ST problem to fix that was caused by a arlo firmware update.   It’s the community working together here that’s helped me continue to push arlo support.      I’m relieved mine is working again but I’m not done pushing them to fix it.     So if you haven’t chatted with them in awhile I’d say let them know you aren’t happy with the progress and need them to help fix the problem!  😃

Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary

@laniocarvalho 

As @RobMo150  stated i don't think anyone is saying we should all go out and buy new systems with a updated hub. I did go out and pick up a new Pro2 and Pro3 2 camera kits simply for the purpose of testing. It is all about the more information we have the better we off we are. I have also repeatedly said getting a new hub is a work around if you just have to get it working. Some folks can't wait months for Arlo to get there act together and get this stuff working. The only reason I haven't returned the two kits I have yet is because I am still testing the Pro3 cameras to decide if i want to keep them for the additional features they have. 

We definitely need to keep pressure on Arlo to resolve this as soon as possible.

Mistersandman
Tutor
Tutor
Another great idea. If you have a Costco membership, go get their latest kit and you’ll have 90 days to use it before returning. Hopefully they will fix this problem in 90 days. Lol.
macmus
Guide
Guide
Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary
In the pic it is the VMB4000. I think the VMB4500 are newer versions of the kit, and so it may be dependent on when it was put together

The vmb4500, vmb4540, and vmb5000 all look like Arlo Accessory - Smart Hub | Compatible with Ultra, PRO 2, and PRO 3 Cameras | (Vmb5000) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071YPS1SF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_tlT4DbAZ5XHM3.

The 4500 and 4540 are just shorter with the 4500 being the shortest
macmus
Guide
Guide

how to check when i got it physically ?

Is it stated somewhere on label or somewhere?

RobMo150
Apprentice
Apprentice

The version of the base station should be listed on the label that has the serial number on it.   Look on the bottom of the base station.   Should be vmb some 4 digit number.   

macmus
Guide
Guide

4500 looks same as 5000 ?

macmus
Guide
Guide

also does ultra works with smarthings ?

Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary
@macmus

They use the same design language. If you put them side by side there are some notable difference with the easiest identifiably one being size. But the general external look are the same.

Neither the Ultra or Pro 3 work with smartthings currently.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Mavrrick wrote:
They use the same design language. If you put them side by side there are some notable difference with the easiest identifiably one being size. But the general external look are the same.

Yes.  The functional differences are mostly described here:  https://kb.arlo.com/000062284/What-is-the-difference-between-each-Arlo-SmartHub-and-base-station

A summary:

• VMB4500:  USB storage, has internal Siren, limited to 1080p, 2.4ghz camera wifi.
  • VMB4540:  USB storage, no Siren, up to 4K, 2.4 ghz camera wifi.
  • VMB5000:  MicroSD storage, no Siren, up to 4K, dual band camera WiFi.
kevin4
Apprentice
Apprentice

I contacted Arlo support via their chat. They are aware of the issue and are don't have ETA for fixing it. Guessing it isn't highest priority with all the other new models out 😞

I recommend everyone having the issue contact them and get a case number:

Arlo Support Chat https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

Arlo Support United States contact information: 1 (408) 638 3750

rdmickey
Tutor
Tutor

I wanted to comment on this thread as well although my issues are IFTTT. We too have the VMB4000 base and have used IFTTT successfully for years. The same timing as everyone else in this thread, our stopped working as well. We already have a case with Arlo on the issue.  

We have deleted all cameras, added them back.

We have deleted all IFTTT programs and rewrote. 

IFTTT triggers every.single.time 

Arlo base ignores. 

About once a week we talk with Arlo......after they assure us it has been fixed. 
They have us go through the same motions above that we have done a dozen times and nothing changes. IFTTT triggers, Arlo ignores.
We get the standard answer of they will have to escalate it and let us know. 

Anyone have any other suggestions to get it escalated? Arlo is in NO HURRY to fix this issue. 

rdmickey
Tutor
Tutor

Update......

Our original setup with IFTTT was utilizing motion detected from Arlo Q to trigger recording on the Arlo Pro 2 cameras. This is what has been failing since the update. 

On a whim, we wrote the IFTTT backwards. If Arlo Pro 2 cameras detect motion, record Arlo Q.  IT WORKS !!!!

It doesn’t solve my problem, but it should assist troubleshooting. 

This means the Arlo base recognizes the “if”. It does not recognize the “then”

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The Arlo development team is working with SmartThings to identify the cause of this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information.

aminno1
Tutor
Tutor
@ShayneS Thank you for the update. It's nice to hear from a member of the arlo team. It's been several months that this issue has been ongoing, do you have an estimate on timing? Are we looking at days/weeks, or do you still believe it may take months?
RobMo150
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ShayneS  I say BS.   Sorry but I’ve had weekly calls with support telling me over the last several weeks that in fact engineering at arlo figured out it was smartthings problem.    For the last several weeks on those calls I’ve said, have arlo eng give SmartThings’s my contact info so that I can have them confirm it’s a SmartThings’s issue.     

Sunday evening I had a conf call with a level 3 eng support person Russel.   Russel told me the same story.   Then I explained I’ve been doing software development for 30 years, ran engineering teams, support, quality control.   This answer and runaround by arlo makes no sense.    WHY when arlo updated firmware on aug 29th did the interface break?   Why is it apparently only broken on the 4000 series?   Why in the heck would that be a smartthings issue?   Smartthings didn’t change, arlo did.  Smartthings works with the 3500 base and the 5000 base.   Why would smartthings need to change code?   If that’s really true, have smartthings confirm they are engaged since arlo eng is supposedly working on it.    Russel then said, well arlo eng is still investigating it and isn’t sure!   Image my shock and surprise.  

FOR all of you that are tired of this over 3 month BS, I’d say if by Friday we don’t get concrete answers, everyone needs to daily respond to tweets, posts, reviews, ads, Facebook, what ever your media’s are with how arlo broke existing critical functionality and has jeopardized security.   They have refused to correct an advertised feature of key integration.     I hope many of you will take time to respond back this Christmas season in the hopes that it causes lost sales.   

Arlo if you would just fix it, commit to the time frame OR post the you will upgrade everyone to the base 5000 for free you can stop ticking of customers that have spent hundreds of dollars on your cameras.    It’s not hard.  You broke it, communicate the truth and fix it

gabrielst
Guide
Guide

I have being following this thread for the last 2 months. The true fact, after all, is that Arlo doesn't care about their clients. As long as we have paid for those devices, it is done.

My system includes the base VMB4000 with 4 Arlo Pro 2 cameras, which now are working as funny decorations around my house. This week, I got an unpleasure surprise when found this:

Window damaged and a paper weight in backgroundWindow damaged and a paper weight in background

As you can see, a window was damaged (might Santa trying to deliver his goods). As my four Arlo cameras are not recording anything when one of motion sensors are triggered, I don't have a clue what happened, neither something to report to Police. Fortunately, nothing more serious happened -thanks to the metal which is still more trustful than technology.

Recently I decided to install a doorbell camera. For the surprise of none, Arlo was not on the table and I'm now a happy Ring Doorbell's owner.

In a similar way to others here, I'm a 20 years experienced software developer. Thus, I know that nobody is currently working to fix this issue, just because a fix would take a couple of days, and after more than 2 months, it is clear that Arlo will not fix the issue caused by themselves.

Pushing the fault to SmartThings is just a dirty strategy. By the way, I do have 2 more cameras from Samsung, both are working great and that's why I'm not so scared about safety -at least, inside of my house, we are covered (thanks to Samsung and SmartThings).

To conclude, I'm really pissed off about this issue. After spending $ 500 in paperweights, all we can do is writing testimonials, comments and bad reviews against this ridiculous company called Arlo.

isuat960
Guide
Guide
Completely frustrated. 3 months gone by on something that would take 72 hrs to fix. They have no intention of fixing it. Left the TRUTH about Arlo on Amazon review to warn others.
jsnphdrn
Tutor
Tutor

I want to echo other's sentiments.  I too have been a software developer for 2 different financial companies for 15+ years.  I'm baffled why there are so many varying responses from Arlo's supposed "higher-level" technical support, and why it's taking 3+ months to get any sort of useful response.  I was okay with "they're working on it" for the first few weeks, or even a month, but this is getting ridiculous.  There needs to be some sort of estimate provided, or some steps that have been taken, or possible leads as to the cause. 

This year, I did some thorough research into Smart Home technology, and security systems.  Eventually, I landed on Samsung SmartThings, and narrowed it down to Ring and Arlo.  I bought Ring first, as it seemed to have more of what I wanted.  I liked most things about it... except my wife was a little paranoid about the forced cloud storage (Arlo had local HD storage option), and neither of us liked that it didn't integrate with Smart Things security.  We wanted to have both SmartThings security and our security cameras turn on when we both left, and off when someone came home.  No pressing buttons or codes, or pulling out our phones.  So, I returned Ring system and bought the Arlo Pro 2 (VMB4000) with 6-camera package, and eventually 2 light bridges (each with 3 lights).  As you can imagine, the price tag was pretty steep.  Everything was working fine until the Arlo firmware and app update at the end of the summer. 

Now that the Smart Things integration is broken, with no end in sight, I'm tempted to try checking back with the manager at Best Buy to see what kind of swap I can make for the Ring system again.  We have another Ring camera (part of a promo for another purchase), and truth be told - I think the Ring app is much more clear, has more options, and not nearly as "glitchy" as I've found the Arlo app to be.  Even when I was initially testing both, I told my wife that I liked Ring better overall... it seemed to be a better physical product and app... but the integration with Smart Things convinced us to go with Arlo.  With that gone, there's nothing keeping us with Arlo (other than the ridiculous money we've spent already for 6 cameras and 6 lights... which I'm hoping to recoup a portion with Best Buy, or maybe I can convince someone on ebay to buy it). 

I think I'm going to have to start joining the rest of the group and posting negative reviews, in hopes of getting someone's attention, as the normal means don't seem to be reaping anything useful. 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

This is already too lengthy of a rant, but I also wanted to note that the "contact support" / "submit a question" feature only works about 10% of the time I try it.  After I hit "submit", I normally get the "Something went wrong, Please contact support team."  I try back a few minutes later, an hour later, and same thing.  The chat feature is also not always available, and when it is, I usually get the runaround about uninstalling everything, and reinstalling it.  At that time, I reference this chat, to which I get "they're working on it". 

For something that was supposed to make our lives more easy and efficient, I've wasted a lot of time troubleshooting this system.  It's extremely frustrating. 

RobMo150
Apprentice
Apprentice
Well ladies and gentlemen I spoke with Arlo support again tonight. There is no progress. I doubt they will do anything to resolve it.

I’m suggesting each of you to call support and request a free base upgrade (5000) to get your problem fixed. You have waited as they have lied and strung us along. I got my base upgraded free. I would also suggest you continue to post, tweet, comment everywhere about how Arlo broke existing functionality and refused to fix it. Maybe they will lose business this Christmas season.

Mine is working because I got upgraded. Good luck. Keep making noise. They need to hear it if they are going to treat the customers poorly.

#ArloSmartHomeBrokeTrust
#ArloSmartHomeDoesntCare

gabrielst
Guide
Guide

Hey @RobMo150,

I bought my set 1 and a half year ago. I wonder how did you get the free base upgrade? Do you mind to share all the steps to follow?

Regards,

Gabriel