Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
RobMo150
Apprentice
Apprentice

I had this working for a couple of years where I've integrated a driveway sensor to a open/close ST's sensor.   When someone came down the driveway, it triggered the open/close sensor which in turn fired off a custom rule in ST to start 2 cameras recording for 1 minute.    Worked great  UNTIL 2 weeks ago.   No changes were made by me.  I don't know of ST or Arlo updated anything.    I've restarted, rebuilt, deleted rules, added new rules, nothing.   I can see in the ST app for the camera that a "sent Capture Command to porch camera" was sent.   But the camera doesn't do anything.   I've had it in disabled mode, ST mode, armed (on arlo).    Was there an update from either company that might have screwed up this integration?   I can manually trigger the camera in ST to record, but not by a rule.    This really stinks because this was a great security feature.   If I can't find a solution I'll have to rethink my whole setup.     Thanks for any advice.    I did search and went thru this thread just to make sure I didn't miss anyting.

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo/Record-without-motion-Smartthings-Arlo/m-p/1531162#M50207

295 REPLIES 295
isuat960
Guide
Guide
Understood, so they convey, but my experience is it's hard to unwind business from each other. I'd be willing to bet if Netgear gets some heat for reviews too, theres some phone numbers from exec to exec that aren't forgotten and theres still leverage.
Mistersandman
Tutor
Tutor
This has likely not hit the execs yet because it isn’t impacting sales. Now if we were to start posting negative reviews on Amazon, Best Buy, Costco and every other retail outlet these are sold then it will get the attention it deserves. FYI I work for a Fortune 500 consumer products company and this will definitely do the trick.
RobMo150
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well after several conversations with support I was told the problem has been escalated AND level 2 support would call me to discuss it.   I had ask them to 

1).  Commit to a date and release for the fix

2).   Tell us it won’t be fixed 

3).    Provide a rollback until fixed

4).   If the 3500 base works then send at no cost 3500 base 

of course I got what I expected.    They lied and didn’t call.   No follow up as promised.   I’m going to start posting to sites about the lack of support, lack of quality control, they break advertised functionality and don’t care.     I will try to discourage anyone shopping for arlo cameras to look elsewhere.    I also never heard from moderator @ShayneS  for any updates.     I’m asking you all if you are willing to start posting your frustrations with arlo.     It might not change things but I’m going to try.    These camera investments are costly and if the company can’t support its customers then it should lose sales.       #ArloCameraSupportStinks

RobMo150
Apprentice
Apprentice

I’ve reviewed.   Amazon, Best Buy,  Facebook several independent sites, tweets to arlo and smart things.   If you have time and are will, please start making noise.    

@ArloSmartHome @smartthings 

Arlo 8/29/19 released updated firmware that BROKE existing functionality with SmartThings rendering the integration useless. We CAN’T TRUST our security to a company that doesn’t care.      #ArloCameraSupportStinks    #ArloCamerasDoNotTrust

my posted review 

Arlo recently separated from netgear and released updated software and firmware.   They have BROKEN advertised functionality with SmartThings rendering the integration useless.   After the community of users called, provided tech info and feedback, Arlo support has now refused to provide any information on if they will fix it.  They have started to point to SmartThings as the culprit.    They are ignoring requests to make fixes.   They believe breaking existing functionality and breaking advertised integration is okay.   I’m sad to say that Arlo quality and support is now so bad that after being a user for years and someone that recommended them to others, I now no longer recommend the use or purchase of their products.    We CAN’T TRUST our security to a company that doesn’t care about its customers.      #ArloCameraSupportStinks    #ArloCamerasDoNotTrust

laniocarvalho
Star
Star
True... Arlo are now taking there customers for granted.... a couple of months ago I had an issue where if ST triggered the camera in the night mode, the IR light stayed on even after the camera stopped recording.... thus draining the battery...despite several tickets raised with Arlo they just did not bother and kept blaming ST.. cant believe that such a big company do not listen to there customers... I therefore invested I wyze... cheap and does the job, but just not wireless.. after a few updates this was fixed.. but I already lost faith in Arlo.... it would be worth writing to companies like tech radar and CNet for Arlo to take notice of our pain... that is exactly what I am going to do as I cant have my home security compromised after paying a premium for a product that offered such pathetic customer service...
jefftb
Tutor
Tutor

Adding my two cents. I am no longer getting any video recording when SmartThings detects motion while the Smart Home Monitor is armed. I get "Clip Generating" but a clip is never generated. No clip exists in the Arlo app or on the Arlo website. These cameras are no effectively useless to me and I am having to explore alternative hardware. 

I will follow the lead of others on here and provide my feedback/review on the main retail websites. 

IMG_0726.PNG

jsnphdrn
Tutor
Tutor

Quick Update: 

I had a long online chat with an agent today, and the gist is that their software engineers are still working on it.  The case number they gave me is 41169286.  They added my issues below to the case for reference (in case it helps them troubleshoot).  So, the plus-side is they are supposedly still working on it.  The downside is that it's been over a month, and they still don't have any estimate for a fix. 

My issues as they stand today, (which are in addition to the original SmartThings being unable to trigger a recording on the Arlo cameras): 

1)  If I add SmartThings mode to Arlo, then the base station mode resets to "disarmed" after a while on its own.  (Even if I remove all my SmartThings automations that turn Arlo on/off, and no one leaves the house (which was the previous trigger).)  Even if I change the Arlo mode manually to "Armed", it will still switch to "Disarmed" after a while (usually within an hour).  I didn't notice this behavior until after I un-integrated Arlo from SmartThings, and uninstalled and reinstalled the Arlo app, and then tried to reintegrate Arlo to SmartThings.  So, I have to un-integrate Arlo from SmartThings in order to have any Arlo functionality. 

2)  Previously, (when I was able to keep Arlo in SmartThings mode), I was unable to have SmartThings automations turn on/off my Arlo cameras.  (This worked fine until the firmware and app update, and was how I'd "arm" my SmartThings Smart Home Security system and the Arlo cameras.) 

Cerberus2
Aspirant
Aspirant

If you go to Arlo's home page and scroll the to the bottom look under "Company" and the "Press" you will see a press release dated August 6th.  Here's the first paragraph.

ARLO ANNOUNCES APPLE HOMEKIT COMPATIBILITY NOW ROLLING OUT

Certified to work with Arlo’s most popular base station models that support Arlo Pro and Pro 2 cameras, users can now add HomeKit automations, allowing automatic interactions across supported devices

SAN JOSE, Calif. — August 6, 2019 — Arlo Technologies, Inc. (NYSE: ARLO), the #1 internet connected camera brand1, announced today that support for HomeKit, Apple’s smart home platform, is rolling out now on Arlo Pro and Arlo Pro 2 Security Camera Systems that are paired with Arlo’s most popular base station models, VMB4000 and VMB4500. While Arlo users can already control their Pro or Pro 2 cameras via the Arlo app, HomeKit compatibility will provide added convenience for iPhone and iPad users. Now, iOS users will be able to access certain functions of their Pro or Pro 2 cameras in the HomeKit ecosystem using the Apple Home app and Siri voice commands. Additionally, a free-of-charge automatic firmware update is now rolling out for both new and existing Pro or Pro 2 users that are operating off either of the two compatible base station models.

Just speculating but that may be the update that messed up our triggers. I also noticed that if you go to Alo's home page

and look at the camera brochures, then scroll to "Works with" or Plays well with others" Smartthings is no longer listed.

Don't know if that means anything. Just noticed when trying to find a solution to our problem. 

DaWeav
Guide
Guide

And, it seems that all of the Arlo KB articles for Smartthings integration were updated (or just reviewed) in late August as well.

https://kb.arlo.com/1131587/What-is-Samsung-SmartThings-and-how-do-I-use-it-with-my-Arlo-cameras

And, they just point to Smartthings support for using external triggers.

https://kb.arlo.com/1134935/How-do-I-get-Arlo-cameras-to-record-when-SmartThings-sensors-or-other-de...

RobMo150
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have now received replies to my FB posts and tweets by Arlo Smart Home.   I’ve received a call from support as well.    The caller said they will update in 1-2 days.    If you all FB or tweet, let them know WE want it fixed.   

the squeakier the wheel, the more attention it gets.   

Vangroovysvt
Tutor
Tutor

Got fed up with the lack of response or accountability from Arlo. Returned my equipment and left a negative review. They have lost a customer for life with their lack of response for this safety issue. 

Smedberg
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue for me.

Smartthings does not trigger recordings

Cerberus2
Aspirant
Aspirant

Does anyone know if this problem has been fixed? I have reconfigured and reset my system multiple times and it still does not record in smartthings. If a solution is found, or Arlo fixes the problem please post so we know.  Thanks.

macmus
Guide
Guide
I just got burgled and i do not have a recording due to this bug.... I will think about going to court with arlo!!
Gron
Guide
Guide

not fixed

dejhom
Star
Star

So Robmo, I gather you haven’t heard anything more despite the 1 or 2 days they told you?

dejhom
Star
Star

No Cerberus, it’s not fixed, although support did finally get back to me yesterday. They suggested I restart and reset everything and try again.  I told them, I’ve been doing that every 3 days since it started in the hope that they had pulled their finger out and changed something.  

needless to say I tried again and guess what?  

STILL DOESN'T WORK

RobMo150
Apprentice
Apprentice
I haven’t been contacted any further. If you all haven’t posted, tweeted, emailed or any other way please do. Make as much noise as possible.
macmus
Guide
Guide
all my replays are getting ignored to the ticket.
they simply respond that I have not followed up and ticket is closed.
RobMo150
Apprentice
Apprentice

In 20 mins Arlo Smart Home on Facebook is doing a live update on arlo 3 cameras.   Would love to see them hit with lots of questions on the broken existing functionality with smartthings.    It’s time to be disruptive!

RobMo150
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well that was fun. A few of you joined in.  Please keep calling, tweeting and posting.   

Charbo26
Aspirant
Aspirant
Just wanted to provide an update. Been using the 3500 base and have not had any issues capturing recordings through smartthings external motion sensors. I also ended my free trial subscription Smart plan and everything still works correctly. I know it's not a good solution but wanted to at least provide and update.
abarnas
Aspirant
Aspirant

Since the firmware upgrade in August 2019, my cameras are no longer sending motion detected events to Smartthings.  In fact if I look at the device activity log in Smartthings, it's completely blank.

I reinstalled/reconnected the devices, rebooted the hub.  But from what I am reading in other posts, the firmware upgrade recently messed things up.

I'm looking for a response from Arlo staff with a fix.

Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary
Stevedoes just created a new video helping push the Pro 3. I would suggest we ask about help with this with him and voice our concerns on the video so others know about what they should expect for support
RobMo150
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Mavrrick  Do you have a link to the video?    I’ve been posting on everything on the arlo smart home Facebook, Twitter sites.   I’ve posted on amazon and some others.   I’m planning to call again tomorrow.    We need to have everyone on here posting, tweeting and calling.