Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 20 Replies
  • 25 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice

Is it the case that IFTTT is limited to ARM and DISARM ?   And ARM and DISARM are very limited as they allow only one rule per camera.  You cannot trigger one camera with another camera.  Netgear either need to remove the one rule per camera limitation on the ARM/DISARM modes or they need to support changing Modes in the IFTTT channel.  

I have one camera at each end of a corridor.  Arlo cameras are not good at monitoring corridors as motion is generally towards the camera if you want to get useful frontal images.  The motion sensors are better at detecting movement across rather the towards the camera.  Putting a camera at each end of the corridor and using one camera to trigger the other solves this issue.  But for some reason Netgear have limited the ARM and DISARM modes to one rule per camera.  Completely useless.  And as IFTTT is limited to ARM and DISARM it is also fails.

Are there any plans to fix either of these limitations ?

20 REPLIES 20
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

XJW,

Triggering one camera with another camera can be done within the Arlo UI via cross recording rules within a custom mode. No IFTTT is needed for this.

What IFTTT recipe are you trying to utilize? 

JamesC

Noutoo
Tutor
Tutor

I don't think you understood his request. I should be able to use IFTTT or SmartThings to switch between any of the modes listed. Not just Armed or Disarmed. If I come home, I want my inside cameras off but I still want the outside cameras in enabled. I can't do this with IFTTT or SmartThings. Geolocations in Arlo is horrid unless you open the app every 15 mins.

I'm basically stuck with manually turning things on and off or using the schedule which only works if you have a ridge schedule.

IMG_20160922_110000.jpg

ramsgoms
Guide
Guide

I have the exact same issue. I have a rule to arm all cameras based on alarm.com arming email. But when alarm.com is disabled (email), I want to disarm inside cameras but continue to leave the outside cameras armed. Currently, there are only three actions available in IFTTT: Arm (all cameras), Disarm (all cameras), and Record a specific camera. Why can't select a custom mode? Is there way to create a new action and contribute to IFTTT?

Alfjonny
Initiate
Initiate
Need this so NOW!
Alfjonny
Initiate
Initiate
Hi,

Please implement function to let us choose our own created modes insted of just Armed/Disarmed.

Thanks in advance 🙂
PapaJ0n3z
Aspirant
Aspirant
Wouldn't this solve the corridor problem?

If Arlo detects motion in Camera 1 then Arlo starts recording in Camera 2

If Arlo detects motion in Camera 2 then Arlo starts recording in Camera 1
PapaJ0n3z
Aspirant
Aspirant
Create a "custom home" mode and a "custom away" mode. Put cameras in Geofence mode and select "custom home" for Home setting and "custom away" for Away setting.
Noutoo
Tutor
Tutor
Geofencing would be the answer if the geofencing feature worked. The app doesn't use Google's location services correctly and the app is put into deep sleep. Unless you open the app the replication is not updated. If I have to open the app it defeats the purpose.
Noutoo
Tutor
Tutor
Darn auto correct. Replication should be location.
TheRealDaali
Star
Star

JamesC wrote:

XJW,

Triggering one camera with another camera can be done within the Arlo UI via cross recording rules within a custom mode. No IFTTT is needed for this.

What IFTTT recipe are you trying to utilize? 

JamesC

JamesC,

Just to clarify, what you said is 100% correct if the camera is part of the wireless base system.  I have not found a way to use the Arlo UI to trigger an Arlo Q from a motion-triggered Arlo wireless (or vice versa).

Thanks for all your help sir!

sevenupcan
Aspirant
Aspirant

It would still be useful to have the ability to set Arlo to a custom mode because for example I want to build a DO button which allows me to disable push notifications at will, but I would also like the ability to re-enable the push notifications. I can create a work around for disabling push notifications because I can modify the properties of the deafult Arm mode, but I can't renable the notifications because I can't set Arlo back to the mode I had set before (which is Geolocation).

Being able to change the mode would definitely be a huge benefit.

XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice

Has there been any progress on this one ?  

IFTTT is very limited if it can only activate the ARM and DISARM modes because the ARM and DISARM modes are so limited.

I activate 1 Outdoor camera when I am at Home.  I activate both Outdoor and Indoor Cameras when I am not at home.  And motion on One indoor camera triggers recording on both.  This is basic stuff and you cannot do any of these with ARM and DISARM.

Geofencing is useless when you have multiple family members.  Some without phones.

Are you listening Netgear ?

XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice

Does anyone from Netgear read these forums ?  This is a fundamental gap in the IFTTT implementation.  Response ???

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Would changing to custom modes be easy from a programming standpoint, especially given people have the freedom to name their custom mode anything they want?

XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice

Easy.  Give every mode an index number and reference that on IFTTT.

David_Johns
Initiate
Initiate

This really needs to be added.

tomjohn
Guide
Guide

I went ahead and created this idea in the Arlo Idea Exchange: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Idea-Exchange/Enable-Custom-Modes-from-IFTTT/idi-p/1260020#M59... to request IFTTT support for custom modes.

Please come chime in/add kudos if this would still be useful to you!

XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice

@tomjohn  Any news on fixing IFTTT ??? It is near useless without support for real Modes.  Arm and Disarm are useless.

tomjohn
Guide
Guide

No luck yet, @XJW

Have yet to hear from Arlo. Please add Kudos to the request here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Idea-Exchange/Enable-Custom-Modes-from-IFTTT/idi-p/1260020#M59...

XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice

Any news on this one ?  IFTTT is almost useless without it.