Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

How do I get Arlo cameras to record when SmartThings sensors or other devices are triggered?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
80sTiger
Star
Star

I have my Arlo Pro cameras integrated properly with SmartThings. But I want to force/tell my Arlos to record a clip when other motion sensors also tied to SmartThings pick-up motion. This has worked previously with the 'recordClip()' device handler option. Here very recently that has been removed for some reason. Can someone @ Netgear/Arlo explain how to do this or what the option was removed ? Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
Knight_Rider
Guide
Guide

I use v2 of the SmartThings hub. I set up a simple rule under smart home monitor > custom > motion sensor > trip motion> select camera to record> front garage. 

Once you do this it will create a new mode on the base station the camera is linked to, the mode is called smart things. You can play around within this mode to select more cameras to record if the motion sensor is tripped, i.e. daisy chained them together. You can get quite creative. 

However with my setup I just need one camera to record since my motion sensor is mounted underneath the mailbox on the perimeter of the house, it gives me 100 more yards of detection compared to that of the camera. 

My next project is a light beam sensor with a z-wave dry contact sensor. This way i can extend my monitoring parameters a little bit further on the outside edges of my property. 

Best of Luck 

80sTiger
Star
Star

Thanks for the reply. I think this may work as a workaround. I don't know why Netgear/Arlo removed the 'recordClip()' device handler as that worked perfectly and was more flexible than even this below. Thanks again.