Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

How: Doorbell/Camera motion detection to trigger lamp

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Everet
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have wireless Arlo front doorbell, back doorbell, 2 cameras, 4 lamps, and Internet.

1. I do *not* have any smart devices in the house (e.g., Alexa, outlets).
  2. I would like the system to activate a specific lamp (for 15 minutes then off) dependent upon which device is triggered by motion detection.
  3. Having an Android phone, I would like to keep any additional smart hardware Android compatible.
  4. What do I need?
  5. How do I create the "rules"?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Everet
Aspirant
Aspirant

Solution--in case anyone else wants to do the same....

Needed: Arlo devices, 2 lamps that use a click to turn on/off, 2 Philips WiFi LED bulbs, IFTTT mobile app, Verizon MiFi (optional...since this was to secure an off-site location without Internet).

Notes: IFTTT is free, but the subscription unlocks more rules/options. This setup does not require Alexa or Google Nest.

1. Enable the MiFi.
  2. Connect the mobile phone to MiFi.
  3. Add the Arlo devices.
  4. Add the 2 bulbs (and lamps).
  5. Install IFTTT.
  6. Create rules.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What "lamps" are you referring to?  The older security lights (no camera)?

I would think you'd need to use a 3rd party connection such as IFTTT or SmartThings to accomplish this although I don't know that you could command the lights to remain on for 15 minutes since duration is an Arlo feature. I don't think you'd need hardware. The rules would be specific to what integration system you choose. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

I don't think you'd need hardware. 

If @Everet is talking about a regular lamp (with no smart lightbulb), then some smart home hardware would be needed.

No recommendation on what though, as it's not something I've done.

Everet
Aspirant
Aspirant

My lamps are desk lamps...with a rotating on-off. Which I would just leave on and let the smart outlet send power/not send power.

Everet
Aspirant
Aspirant

Correct on both statements--regular lamp and smart home. Need recommendations for the smart hardware and rules.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You need to start this conversation in an appropriate forum such as IFTTT/SmartThings/etc. Arlo provides compatibility but the actual hardware and workings are a function of whatever smarthome system you choose.

Everet
Aspirant
Aspirant

Solution--in case anyone else wants to do the same....

Needed: Arlo devices, 2 lamps that use a click to turn on/off, 2 Philips WiFi LED bulbs, IFTTT mobile app, Verizon MiFi (optional...since this was to secure an off-site location without Internet).

Notes: IFTTT is free, but the subscription unlocks more rules/options. This setup does not require Alexa or Google Nest.

1. Enable the MiFi.
  2. Connect the mobile phone to MiFi.
  3. Add the Arlo devices.
  4. Add the 2 bulbs (and lamps).
  5. Install IFTTT.
  6. Create rules.
Timothyloves
Aspirant
Aspirant

You can always ask the store. I once bought a small charger camera. I thought it was broken and I was about to blow up, but they were patient and guided me very patiently.