Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Home Assistant Integration (not Google)

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Viewhome
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi there. 
I am currently working on my Home Assistant (Home Automation System) and it effortlessly discovered my VMB4000 Basel. 
From there I can configure it to set it up for integration. When I try I get the message: 

Pair with a device via HomeKit Accessory Protocol

HomeKit Controller communicates with Basestation 4RD3897GA0CC4 over the local area network using a secure encrypted connection without a separate HomeKit controller or iCloud. Enter your HomeKit pairing code (in the format XXX-XX-XXX) to use this accessory. This code is usually found on the device itself or in the packaging.

Trouble is, I don't have the package. And I cannot find a code similar to this on the base. I have a serial but no Homekit Pairing Code. How can I get that code? 
5 REPLIES 5
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi Viewhome,

Are you referring to Apple HomeKit? If so, try following these instructions if you don't have a setup code: How do I connect my Arlo camera to Apple HomeKit?

Viewhome
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi 

No I've seen the Homekit threads. I don't know what Apple Homekit is, but I don't have any Apple Products. 
I am talking about Home Assistant. 

https://www.home-assistant.io/

I added a screenshot.

base.png
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

We are not officially partnered with Home Assistant. But with the error message you provided, you may want to try adding your Arlo product to Apple HomeKit first.

Otherwise, you may need to report to their support team for further assistance.

Viewhome
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your answers. 
I guess that Apple Homekit is some kind of physical gateway? 
Well I have no apple products, so I guess I will have to find another way. 

thanks alot. 

demannu
Apprentice
Apprentice

Arlo wont ever support home assistant natively due to their business model of intentionally crippling their products to force you onto a subscription, home assistant would be the complete opposite to THEIR best interests and not yours. 

Google Aarlo home assistant (note the double 'a')

Theres quite a bit involved in getting it going and Arlo even tried their best to cripple it from working but the clever guys made their way around it. 

I gave it a go to try and authenticate to the MY cameras locally to overcome arlos horribly slow to connect servers and ultra laggy live view which makes this system worthless but it behaves in the same way, it also has some other quirks which wasn't worth running it in the end for me.