Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Google Home

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
thedon777
Aspirant
Aspirant

Good Morning All,

As the recent owner of a new Arlo Floodlight, I am loving most of the features, but two are driving me crazy. One, I cannot get this thing to reliably work with Google Home, one of the main reasons for purchase. It seems as though whenever I add the LIGHT to my home, the CAMERA stops working! When the light is not added, the camera seems to work. This is baffling to me, as the camera will show "offline" as the status. The connection in the Arlo app is not affected, and the connection is listed as "strong" to the Wi-Fi.

Second, the battery life. I have done well to adjust settings accordingly, but after install at 8pm last night (with it being 730am now) my battery is at about 65%. Is this normal behavior or an issue? I have gotten TONS of notifications, mostly audio based, since which I have disabled only to alert for CO/Smoke Alarms. Thank you in advance for your advice and assistance.

2 REPLIES 2
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

thedon777,

You may need to adjust the motion/audio sensitivity within your active mode if you're receiving too many motion alerts. Constant audio/motion detection will cause increased battery drain. Take a look here for more information: How do I change the motion sensitivity on my Arlo camera?

Are you setting up google assistant using these instructions: How do I connect my Arlo cameras to the Google Assistant app?

At what point are you seeing an issue?

JamesC

thedon777
Aspirant
Aspirant

Looking at the app, it appears my camera positioning might also be an issue. It should probably be faced lower to avoid a majority of the street to appear within its view. I have modified the settings.. we will see if that succeeds.

The google home interoperability is less straightforward. The devices are added seamlessly, as is the login process. The devices (for the floodlight, it appears as both a camera and a light) are added and placed into the correct area of the home. The issue begins when attempting to view the camera feed. Nearly 50% of the time the feed displays "Offline", when other times it will display the feed seamlessly. It is very intermittent, even though the app shows strong connection to Wi-Fi. This is the case when using either LTE or Wi-Fi on my iPhone.