Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 26 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
vpasq
Apprentice
Apprentice

Today a new release of the Arlo App added the Assistant Pin feature and voice control.  It tells how to set this up and includes my base station as compatible - VMB4000, but I do NOT see the Assistant PIN setting in my app after update.  Any idea why? (I really want to use this new voice control feature)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

We wanted to update everyone that you should now be able to see the Assistant PIN feature available on the Arlo app version 2.12 and higher. Feel free to read here to learn more about the Assistant PIN feature and how to use it: What is the Assistant PIN feature and how do I use it?

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
Nankishore77
Aspirant
Aspirant
JG420
Aspirant
Aspirant
ArloAlex
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey all - we’ll be going live with this feature soon, and app version 2.12 is required to support it. When the Assistant PIN is available for everyone, we will post about it here.

Nankishore77
Aspirant
Aspirant
Much appreciated update.
ArloAlex
Arlo Employee Retired

You bet - we’re excited to get this feature in everyone’s hands!

StretfordEnder
Apprentice
Apprentice
Might I suggest rather than launch a new version of the app and include details of new features in the App Store listing, you actually have the features live or at least say (everything you’ve just read you can’t use yet)!

The App Store listing makes no mention of Alexa voice control being a “to follow” feature and you’d cut out this thread of people asking where is the promised option.

Can you also advise whether you intend enhancing HomeKit support to include Hey Siri voice control.
ArloAlex
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey @StretfordEnder - good feedback, and sorry for any confusion on the omission of the 'coming soon' verbiage!

StretfordEnder
Apprentice
Apprentice

You also mentioned requiring a certain app version which is already live in the App Store. So I’m guessing there’s more to it. Presumably a firmware update to the Arlo hardware is needed in due course?

plus any news on future “hey Siri’ functionality?

vpasq
Apprentice
Apprentice
Absolutely superb comment!
ArloAlex
Arlo Employee Retired

@StretfordEnder Actually, we do not anticipate additional software or firmware updates to be required by the user. Keep a watch on the community threads here to know when it's active 🙂 

StretfordEnder
Apprentice
Apprentice
I’ll try but surely it would be better for in-app splash screen on app start after new features have been added. But like when Arlo Europe was announced to be sold off and all sorts of legal info was presented.

I’d rather the app told me directly if new feature as and when available. Or you included their details in App Store listings (BUT only when features actually live).
bradwallen
Aspirant
Aspirant

This was the feature I was waiting for and yeah, definitely was not clear in the app release notes. Looking forward to this feature going live!

Brooke3928
Aspirant
Aspirant

I updated my Arlo app in hopes of using verbal commands and I do not see in the settings of the Arlo app where I can set up my assistant pin. My hardware for Arlo is VMB3500. Is there a reason why it wouldn't be showing up on my app?

ArloAlex
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi @Brooke3928 ! This feature is coming soon - sorry for the misunderstanding in the release notes. We’ll announce it here when the feature is live - there’s no software or firmware update needed from your side as long as you’re on version 2.12 of the iOS app.

Brooke3928
Aspirant
Aspirant

Okay thank you! Is there a projected time for when the update will be released?

StretfordEnder
Apprentice
Apprentice

My Arlo cameras all went offline tonight. So I switched the base station off and on again. Assistant PIN now there but no idea what to do once set up. The link to click doesn’t take you anywhere useful. 

Anyone any ideas?

ArloAlex
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey @StretfordEnder  - Try https://kb.arlo.com/000062369/What-is-the-Assistant-PIN-feature-and-how-do-I-use-it (the in-app link will be fixed in a future release)

vpasq
Apprentice
Apprentice

Where is the Assistant Pin in settings, I don’t see it in mine (I have the latest app ver) and I did look under profile where they originally said it should be.

ArloAlex
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi @vpasq - on iOS, it is actively being turned on for users now but may still take a day or two to appear. You will be able to find the Assistant PIN in Settings > Profile on iOS once it's active for you. (If you don't see it, try force-closing the Arlo app and re-opening it; if this does not work, then it just needs a bit more time to roll out to you). 

StretfordEnder
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well you can use Alexa to arm and disarm the entire system by voice. Works on my Sonos Beam (equipped with Alexa) but ability to arm into specific modes would be far more helpful. 

But a 60 second to arm switch on is quite thoughtful. 

Be good to be able to access other modes though. Either Arlo’s scheduled mode or user-created ones. 

surfer1000
Luminary
Luminary
Alexa doesn't want to know! Ask her to arm she says there are 2 many things called Arlo and says group them you do that still wont work!
vpasq
Apprentice
Apprentice

When I first set it up, it acted goofy for me saying a specific camera was not available, even though I spoke the exact system name it was set up as.  I changed the name of the device in the Alexa settings to the name I wanted and now it works perfectly every time.  So the answer (at least for me) is to make sure you speak the exact name you set.

surfer1000
Luminary
Luminary
Alexa dosent show anything called arlo in devices even though she says there are to many devices called that.

My cameras have names of where they are eg "rear door"
vpasq
Apprentice
Apprentice

Once I set up the assistant pin and re-discovered using the Alexa app, it added, arlo pro camera system to my already individual cameras that were in the devices section.  I had to change the Arlo Pro Camera system name to get it to work!